Guard Kraig Urbik was coveted by several teams

Guest dog14787

:lol:

Your optimism is a beautiful thing Dog!

I've put my house on the line which means that you have to give up something when Trent isn't the starting QB in 2012(Lockout).

Maybe your D&D 12 sided dice or your World of Warcraft Wizard outfit. You pck. :w00t:

Nawww, I can't part with the Warcraft Wizard outfit or my lucky dice,(tools of my trade) but I suppose I could part with my highly valued 8-track tape player/AM Radio/Broken antenna and collection of 8-tracks that go with it which includes bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin among others,

Edited by dog14787

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct. Wood is a Center playing the Guard position, though. This Urbik guy can also play both positions as can Hangartner. It's all about versatility and depth. Our interior line is now suddenly in very good shape here.

As for the tackle positions, we have depth too. We just don't know what kind of quality depth we have. I hope these guys can step it up.

Has Urbik played center? all of the reports i've read had him at G/T.

I don't get all of the excitement over Urbik. He was inactive for all 16 games last year. He was cut this year. Bills needed an OL. They had two backups plus Wang. If Urbik has to play, that's not good.

He's a guard, they had undrafted rookie Cordero Howard and that is all as far as interior oline depth.

I don't get all of the excitement over Urbik. He was inactive for all 16 games last year. He was cut this year. Bills needed an OL. They had two backups plus Wang. If Urbik has to play, that's not good.

Well Nancy, Wood's not completely healthy and Chan The Man has said he can't count on playing him and Bell for a full game.

Two backups for the entire OL is paltry - even if you've got a 5 man line of world-beaters there that are in tip top physical condition.

If you haven't noticed - that's not the case on this year's squad. I hope they can add another OT and TE before the dancin' starts.

The Steelers were also working out Urbik at center. Here's an interesting post too:

"Urbik, the 79th overall pick in the 2009 draft, was slow to pick up blocking schemes in Pittsburgh, but fits Buffalo's system based on power potential.

The Bills are currently light on the interior, especially at left guard."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=nfl&id=5326

here is what Mel kiper said about Urbik before last years draft

his number 3 guard behind levitre and duke robinson

key points

he is not a puller

very exp, 50 starts has played right tackle

is a battle and fighter type plays hard, a mauler

straight ahead type of player

]could be a solid starter in right system

sounds like a better fit for what Chan is going to do then what the steelers have become .

he is 6'5 330 so maybe he can give us something at right tackle too . but either way nice addition if anything happens in the interior annd maybe the guy to move into the lineup when/if wood moves to center

Edited by bkc

Looks like I created a monster with this post. :o

First of all, bringing in an inside offensive lineman makes all kinds of sense, for all kinds of reasons. Most have already been discussed in this thread, and the one from yesterday. :wallbash: It doesn't matter if they do/don't actually switch people around, what we want is the options to be available, because options remind players that they have to keep competing, and, options are very handy when injuries come along. :censored:

I will trade Hangartner getting the message and stepping up his play, for singing a potential bust who we got for league minimum any day. And, I agree with the sentiment that Urbik may not have fit with the Steelers, but may fit here. Gailey seems to like old school, straight ahead blocking, and if this guy is a straight ahead, mauler type of player...maybe he's in the right spot.

Don't believe the "excels at trap pulling" thing. He's heavy-legged. Very heavy-legged and stiff. That's the word out of Pittsburgh.

Ah, you got there before me, Stevewin.

This article provided by Stevewin gives us a much better idea about Urbik. That first article I read was a little misleading with the "excels at trapping" stuff. It's good that he's a big mauler type who doesn't easily get bull rushed. He also has a mean streak which will add nicely to the mentality of our line. This guy has potential to be quality depth. Needs to get to the 2nd level faster though. I'm happy with this signing. One spot we can worry about a little less.

This article provided by Stevewin gives us a much better idea about Urbik. That first article I read was a little misleading with the "excels at trapping" stuff. It's good that he's a big mauler type who doesn't easily get bull rushed. He also has a mean streak which will add nicely to the mentality of our line. This guy has potential to be quality depth. Needs to get to the 2nd level faster though. I'm happy with this signing. One spot we can worry about a little less.

Pils, this guy hasn't proven to be an NFL player yet. But at least we have something more than Cordaro Howard as a backup G/C. Just keep in mind neither of them have any real experience. Hope they both develop into something.

BTW -- I lived in Germany in 1985 (called West Germany way back then) and the blonde in your avatar looks like a old flame of mine.

(Cue up Bruce Springsteen: Glory Days).

I think people need to stop with the O-line movement stuff. IMO, it's nuts.

You're not going to start shuffling your O-line around a week before the start of the season, unless ur D.J.

Let the young guys play a year together, and hope Hang. holds up.

Pils, this guy hasn't proven to be an NFL player yet. But at least we have something more than Cordaro Howard as a backup G/C. Just keep in mind neither of them have any real experience. Hope they both develop into something.

BTW -- I lived in Germany in 1985 (called West Germany way back then) and the blonde in your avatar looks like a old flame of mine.

(Cue up Bruce Springsteen: Glory Days).

Bob, I agree that he needs more experience and then we'll see what we have. I just think he has potential. Time will tell. I would be happy if he eventually turns into a good back up.

I've never been to Germany but I plan on it. I have to say you're very lucky to have had an old flame who looks like her :) Hopefully she wore some Dirndls for u :thumbsup: