Guard Kraig Urbik was coveted by several teams

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean the guy seemed like he is going to be good but I didnt know alll that. Great to hear. Nothing like gretting a guy over our rivals, for free!

This guy seems like a bigger eric wood. Maybe if Wood had to go to center he would take over for him at RG. Would love to see those two mean muggers on the field at the same time, standing side by side nonetheless.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/04/steelers-draft-t-kraig-urbik-with-79th-pick-of-third-round/

Found this. Looks like this guy is a keeper! Mean, nasty, athletic. Should fit right in the interior with Wood and Levitre for years to come. That would make them all 2009 draft picks going round 1, 2 and 3.

Some reports claimed that it was that other players the Steelers kept were more versatile than Urbik in their ability to play both tackle and interior positions.

Maybe but this guy is a better guard and thats what we need the most help with, we have Jamon to be a swing tackle.

I mean the guy seemed like he is going to be good but I didnt know alll that. Great to hear. Nothing like gretting a guy over our rivals, for free!

This guy seems like a bigger eric wood. Maybe if Wood had to go to center he would take over for him at RG. Would love to see those two mean muggers on the field at the same time, standing side by side nonetheless.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2009/04/steelers-draft-t-kraig-urbik-with-79th-pick-of-third-round/

Found this. Looks like this guy is a keeper! Mean, nasty, athletic. Should fit right in the interior with Wood and Levitre for years to come. That would make them all 2009 draft picks going round 1, 2 and 3.

This guy "excels at trap pulling" and can "play all 3 interior line positions" These are things I like. So he's versatile and quick. Big and strong too. Not sure why he was let go. But we need a guy like this for depth. If he can turn into a quality right guard, move Wood to Center and we could be solid with our interior.

No, I don't think he's ever played outside. He's barely serviceable there, and it's very different on the outside.

Hopefully a good backup this year, best (okay overly optimistic) scenario he's a player, move him into LG and move Levitre to RT. Of course, let's play the 2010 season first. Maybe there's a little depth at least this year.

Pittsburgh has a pretty deep OL - also cut their starting C from last year to make room for 1st rounder Pouncey.

This guy "excels at trap pulling" and can "play all 3 interior line positions" These are things I like. So he's versatile and quick. Big and strong too. Not sure why he was let go. But we need a guy like this for depth. If he can turn into a quality right guard, move Wood to Center and we could be solid with our interior.

Has Anyone tried out this scenario? Levitre was a tackle in college he has knowledge of the position. Cornell Green has'nt impressed anyone. Slide Levitre to Right tackle and slip this UrhBik kid into LG so he can "excel at trap blocking and Pulling"...just a thought

Once again, I don't understand the Wood to center talk. A top-notch RG is more important than a top-notch C. Wood's best value to the team is exactly where he is right now.

That's not the move you make the move is leaving Wood alone and sliding Levitre to tackle...middle stays strong and you have helped one of your tackle spots

Once again, I don't understand the Wood to center talk. A top-notch RG is more important than a top-notch C. Wood's best value to the team is exactly where he is right now.

Why is a top notch RG better than a top notch C?

I would think that a Center would be more valuable just due to the fact that they make the line calls and basically run the entire unit.

Why is a top notch RG better than a top notch C?

I would think that a Center would be more valuable just due to the fact that they make the line calls and basically run the entire unit.

There's a very good recent article by former NFLer (and current analyst) Ross Tucker in which he breaks down the relative importance of the OL positions. C is ranked 5th.

Hasn't anyone asked himself why Wood wasn't brought in to play C for the Bills despite being a 4-year starter at C for Louisville and being named all-conference?

(Hint: it's because he's more valuable at RG)

Has Anyone tried out this scenario? Levitre was a tackle in college he has knowledge of the position. Cornell Green has'nt impressed anyone. Slide Levitre to Right tackle and slip this UrhBik kid into LG so he can "excel at trap blocking and Pulling"...just a thought

I quoted what the article stated. "excels at trap blocking and pulling" So i'm willing to see what this guy can do. We will not put him in as a starter unless he shows he can handle it. He could be great for depth tho. But for example if he can show something and the coaches are comfortable with him at right guard then great. Move Wood to center because that's where Wood is slated to go anyway. Just need a good quality replacement at RG first. not saying Urhbik is that guy. But at the very least he could be decent for depth. Maybe next year we can get a brand new RG. Hangman could be great at depth too when Wood moves to center.

Any move of Levitre assumes that his Urhbik guy can start. let's wait and see if Urhbik can produce first before we think about moving players around. I really like where Levitre is tho. So imo keep him at LG. If we happen to draft a stud center next year then I would be happy to keep Wood at RG.

There's a very good recent article by former NFLer (and current analyst) Ross Tucker in which he breaks down the relative importance of the OL positions. C is ranked 5th.

Hasn't anyone asked himself why Wood wasn't brought in to play C for the Bills despite being a 4-year starter at C for Louisville and being named all-conference?

(Hint: it's because he's more valuable at RG)

At the point where we are now it might also mean that we are weaker at RG than we are at center. So I'm thinking that's why we have Wood at RG. I read Ross Tucker's article and it's one of my favorites. O-line is my fav area of a team. I spend more time watching them. I can't wait for us to get a quality RG so we move Wood to RG and then we dominate with pulling and trapping and double teaming.