Gailey, the anti-Jauron!

"In the second half we couldn't block anybody," coach Chan Gailey said. "They're strong on the defensive front. First, second, however many groups they've got, they're strong. But it was an awful display by our offensive line at times out there. We've got to shore that up in every respect."

I'm fairly certain that statement would put Jauron in a coma!

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article180185.ece

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"In the second half we couldn't block anybody," coach Chan Gailey said. "They're strong on the defensive front. First, second, however many groups they've got, they're strong. But it was an awful display by our offensive line at times out there. We've got to shore that up in every respect."

How do you put a corpse in a coma? ;)

That line and his line about Levi making some "horrendous" throws both stood out to me for reasons you've already mentioned.

It baffles me how a coach is getting credit for saying how his offensive line performed very poorly? Why should a coach get credit for saying the obvious? Who cares if Jauron would have said that. I think it's time to bury the Jauron comparisons and move on. Can Chan say and do no wrong in your eyes? Instead, I am asking you and coach Gailey/Nix why haven't you done enough to ensure we have a solid OL with good depth? IMHO,some people just miss the big picture...

Our OTs are very questionable. What happens if they either one gets hurt? The time to have added depth to the OL and bring in an adequate OT to shore up the line was in the offseason. This front office didn't do it with the exception of adding the very mediocre Cornell Green. The line and its lack of depth are going to plague the offense, just as it has for a very long time.

It baffles me how a coach is getting credit for saying how his offensive line performed very poorly? Why should a coach get credit for saying the obvious? Who cares if Jauron would have said that. I think it's time to bury the Jauron comparisons and move on. Can Chan say and do no wrong in your eyes? Instead, I am asking you and coach Gailey/Nix why haven't you done enough to ensure we have a solid OL with good depth? IMHO,some people just miss the big picture...

I think it is you who is "missing the big picture" which extends to more than one offseason. The comparison points to Jauron are apt, and in the big picture, point toward a much better coached and motivated team. This has shown in the pre-season to date IMO. Yes, the Bills lack depth on the OL. It does not take a genius to figure that out. I like the fact that Gailey is not afraid to call out bad play by his team and demand better. This is part of good coaching.

The talent level and depth of the Bills will not be brought up to super bowl caliber in one off season. You can disagree with the areas of concentration this year, or the general approach, but you cannnot fix everything at once. Gailey's job is to coach what he is givem, which he is doing very well so far I think.

Well, he is a new coach.... so of course he is going to be compared to the person who he replaced. Just like how this team will be compared to last years team. It is how you discuss where the team is heading (up or down). And it is quite obvious why there isn't more depth on this team as far as the oline goes. This team had, and has, a lot of needs that they couldn't address every issue. They did address a lot of needs this offseason, so I don't believe they sat on their hands and did nothing.

I don't know why you aren't looking at the big picture. There is more things that are needed than the oline, which was heavily addressed LAST year.

But really, people ragged on Jauron a lot because they were so annoyed that he would say things like "they play hard and they are a good group." That pretty much meant they wouldn't get better. Gailey calling them out pretty much means that he is going to make them play harder. So, you might not like that a coach is going to get the players to play better, but some of us are happy about it.

Edited by DanInUticaTampa

http://www.buffalone...ticle180185.ece

Well Chan you and Nix decided no OL men were worth our first or 2nd pick. So how the hell is the OL going to improve if you aren't going to go out and upgrade the talent?

I like my coaches to not be afraid to be honest with the fans and with their players. To me that demonstrates confidence which is an essential trait of strong leadership. Strong leaders, whether in the NFL or business don't ignore the issues, don't skip over them and for God sakes don't sugar coat it. I'm a big boy, I can see what's happening on the field. Gailey's true measure as a coach will come on game day. He acquitted himself well in Dallas but only time will tell.

I don't expect the Bills to be great this year and I don't expect them to be in the playoffs. I do expect them to be improved though. Insisting that Gailey and Nix in one year to rebuild a roster that has been riddled with 5 years of bad decision is just unrealistic.

I also find it much more enjoyable to be optimistic. This place seems to be filled with people who take great joy in bitching, complaining, crying whining, yelling and pissing & moaning about way to many things that they have way too little understanding of.

Agreed - it's like praising the kid at Burger King for giving you the Whopper within 30 seconds.

However, it's what this organization has been sorely lacking. Jauron would have said that Detroit's d-line was too tough for them and tip his cap to their DC. Gailey says the same thing, but also says our o-line needs to perform better.

None of us think Gailey can do no wrong (ok, *most* of us don't think that) - but we're dealing with an honest, down-to-earth, stand-up guy running the team...instead of a guy who looks lost, emotionless, and has little clue about what's happening with his own team.

I think it is you who is "missing the big picture" which extends to more than one offseason. The comparison points to Jauron are apt, and in the big picture, point toward a much better coached and motivated team. This has shown in the pre-season to date IMO. Yes, the Bills lack depth on the OL. It does not take a genius to figure that out. I like the fact that Gailey is not afraid to call out bad play by his team and demand better. This is part of good coaching.

The talent level and depth of the Bills will not be brought up to super bowl caliber in one off season. You can disagree with the areas of concentration this year, or the general approach, but you cannnot fix everything at once. Gailey's job is to coach what he is givem, which he is doing very well so far I think.

This!

In case you may not of heard, but They didn't build Rome in a day..... Just saying

I'm convinced that if Cornell Green goes down, we would not miss a step. His replacement could certainly do no worse.

ss

Put a turnstile at left tackle and it would take a DE longer to get through it than the qb would have if Green was playing.

I am getting a lot of heat for my previous post. I have read everyone replies and I respect them. Many valid points. If I can I would like to clarify myself. IMHO, I think so many of you are so desperate to have a solid successful coach in Buffalo (including myself) that we will turn anything into a positive. OK he is holing his team accountable for not playing well. Isn't that what 99% of coaches do and should do. Yet, we are patting him on the back for the obvious because we had a previous coach who had a differnt style. I am not going to go on the record and say Jauron didn't hold his players accountable. They players played hard for him and who know what he told them behind closed doors. What a coach says to the media and behind closed door to his players can be two different things. I do admit though Jauron apppeared "soft" to say the least. Not many of us were complaining about Dick boy after his initial hire, after his first season, and when they were 5-1. So now Gailey is hired and suddenly, we all love him. We love his approach, we love his style, we love him for telling us his offensive line sucks and they have to perform better, we love him for the way he walks on the field with such dignity, we love him when he talks to us in the media, we love him for his innovative offensive, we love him for his toughness, this list doesn't stop and the coach hasn't even coached a real game. Now don't get me wrong, I am encouraged by what I see but like I said many times, I need to see more a lot more before I jump on that Gailey bandwagon. I got burned by jumping on the Levy/Jauron bangwagon and the Donahoe/Malacky/Williams bandwagon too. I don't think my position is unrealistic or invalid. I ask what is going to be any different this time around? I refuse to give a coach credit for saying the obvious. As for stating the obvious games are won with a strong offensive line and I doubt many of you would say the Bills OL is strong. This regime missed the obvious...I know many of you will not appreciate my point of view. I repect that and hope you can reply in an appropriate fashion.

Edited by mpl6876

I must admit I wasn't thrilled at all at Gailey's being selected as HC but he seems to have a plan and I'm optimistic. Regardless of what I or anyone thinks, we'll all see once the season starts and how he gameplans and makes adjustments and matches up to our rival coaches and how he handles adversity....

Well Chan you and Nix decided no OL men were worth our first or 2nd pick. So how the hell is the OL going to improve if you aren't going to go out and upgrade the talent?

Let me ask you this: What player would have a bigger impact on the Bills this year? CJ Spiller or Brian Bulaga? The O-line has to get better but CJ makes the Bills a more dangerous team instantly. That's why they picked him and not reached for a LT. Any QB or LT the Bills could have drafted at #9 would have been a huge reach.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot