Edwards' Total Preseason Stats

By my estimation, these statistics represent a little over 5 quarters of football...

28/41 completions, 68.3% completion, 370 yards, 9.0 yards/attempt, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception, 2 sacks, 102.7 QB Rating

Now I'm in the camp that preseason numbers mean very little, but considering that Trent played almost exclusively against first team defense, I believe the numbers are at the very least valid for analysis. And, in my opinion, we can't help but be a little encouraged right now.

In fact, Edwards was probably the second most encouraging aspect of the preseason after Spiller.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

By my estimation, these statistics represent a little over 5 quarters of football...

28/41 completions, 68.3% completion, 370 yards, 9.0 yards/attempt, 2 touchdowns, 1 interception, 2 sacks, 102.7 QB Rating

Now I'm in the camp that preseason numbers mean very little, but considering that Trent played almost exclusively against first team defense, I believe the numbers are at the very least valid for analysis. And, in my opinion, we can't help but be a little encouraged right now.

In fact, Edwards was probably the second most encouraging aspect of the preseason after Spiller.

Last year, Edwards' yards per attmpt was 6.4, so that is a telling stat.

We would surely take a 68% completion rate if the yards per attempt is up.

Like the both of you, I am very encouraged by the way Trent played, but I wish I would have seen more intermediate throws and completions.

Last night Trent was 4-4 for 66, 50 of which came on one play. Same with Indy 5-8 for 93 with 70 coming on one play.

I am still excited but tempered.

Like the both of you, I am very encouraged by the way Trent played, but I wish I would have seen more intermediate throws and completions.

Last night Trent was 4-4 for 66, 50 of which came on one play. Same with Indy 5-8 for 93 with 70 coming on one play.

I am still excited but tempered.

While I see what you are saying, the intermediate stuff usually comes after you can back the DB's off a bit. So it's not really fair to be expecting the intermediate 15 yd completion, when he really only had the chance to throw 12 passes in those two games.

In both of those games, he completed the long ball, which would soften the defense up a bit, and then didn't really have another drive to show whether or not the intermediate stuff would be there.

Valid point and I should have clarified. I have seen him throw deep balls over his career and of course short stuff. The intermediate throws into traffic are the hardest to make and we still haven't had a chance to really assess his ability to do so.

I'm encouraged by the preseason stats and much more optimistic about the qb situation than I was previously. TE has had a ton of coaches, changes, and a very poor offensive line since he's been here and it seems at least in preseason that things are coming together for him. I'm looking forward to the Miami game.

As an encouraged as I am about Edward's pre-season I'll hold off on genuine enthusiasm until the regular season. Defenses don't blitz in pre-season (except the Jets) so we haven't had the opportunity to see captain check down in action just yet. If he can look this good in the first few games then I'll let myself start to believe he's turned a corner.

My take is that Trent was given a pile of you know what and told to work it the last couple years. The team was divided for some time (Lee even spoke out and said JP was a better qb). Dicky never lead, but tried to imstall a system, but never had a true leader to take control. This called for Trent to not get a foundation under him. He is no Manning or no Kelly, but none the less he has the fittings to be decent. Now here comes Chan:

1.Chan brought in leadership and stability were there wasn't any.

2. Trent now knows what he has to do and what they are trying to accomplish. A true plan

3. For the first time in a long time, one can see how they act as one unit, continuity is there.

4. Trent now has the confidence that is needed to be successful, plus the backing of a coach. Chan made that clear by stating,"Dog one of us, you dog all of us". That can be our fighting statement because it shows how they feel, and Chan brought that attitude in, and demands it.

5. I doubt Dicky demanded anything???? Chan lets them know where they stand upfront with no BS.

6. A qb needs the confidence within management and the his team mates in order to be confident with themselves.(look at Parrish also, same thing).

This is why Buffalo's offense will be much better this year, plus our horrible line has been together for a year so they will also be improved to help out. The BILLS are by far not an elite team, but Trent is a better QB than what the fins or jets have by far, plus he has more tools and I feel better situation than others. The jets are about that word me.. Revis, their center, others wanting huge pay outs... The fins I believe don't have a good enough coach with the right support...The pats are old and this will hurt them this year, yes big issues brewing, o-line has big ??? (I live in NE so I get the news all day long...) Buffalo has many upsides...

The bottom line is BRING IT TO THE TABLE AND LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HARCO186

Yards are yards. People need to stop saying he was good except he had a 50 yard pass but not that good. Isn't that what we all wanted? Big plays come, and if you can make them happen that's the difference between an average NFL team and a playoff calibur one. We haven't had the ability in the past, but there has been a big play in every preseason game this year and I can't help but be hopeful for the regular season.

Yards are yards is an over simplification. Like I said before the ability to hit on the 15 to 20 yard throws are what separate the really good from the really bad QBs in this league. I didn't say that Trent is not capable of making those throws, he just hasn't thrown enough of them in the preseason. If Trent can consistently hit on those throws this season we are in for a lot of fun games.

As an encouraged as I am about Edward's pre-season I'll hold off on genuine enthusiasm until the regular season. Defenses don't blitz in pre-season (except the Jets) so we haven't had the opportunity to see captain check down in action just yet. If he can look this good in the first few games then I'll let myself start to believe he's turned a corner.

only to be disap...... oh wait

Washington blitzed a lot :blink:

I have been encouraged now; when they WIN some games that matter, I will be good. Until they rip my heart out again. But hey that is the nature of love and these are the Bills :doh:

J/K I am truest optimistic again but it is tempered by experience.

One thing that bothered me most about the whole preseason was 3rd down conversions.

Edited by bowery4

TE and Chan gave us no reason to be depressed.

Contrast that to how we'd all fee if Jauronamo was still the HC.

This season has the promise to be interesting and hopefully exciting at times.

I have no false hope of making the playoffs this year.

However, we are undefeated right now, and our HC isn't a tool. :thumbsup:

I have been presently surprised and impressed with Trent, and can easily see it transferring to the regular season. Confidence can hotwire a professional athlete's play to take substantial jumps in performance and production, and Trent is showing a little confidence in his own play but more importantly in his coach and coaching. I love the fact he has been looking deep, whether he completes it or not.

IIRC, he threw a deep pass in each of the four games (which total a little more than one full game). On two of them the WR was wide open. Trent missed Steve Johnson badly in game one (SJ is really slow) but hit Evans in stride in game two for a score. He had one play where Evans was slightly open and just overthrew him by a yard in the Bengals game, but I liked the look and the throw for the most part. Evans wasn't open yesterday by much but Trent put the ball up there where Evans could go get it and I would take my chances with Lee doing that against DBs all day long, he's proven to be very good at it. So Edwards hit 2-4 deep balls for one TD and a total of 120 yards. I would have preferred him to hit either the easy pass to SJ or nail the other Evans bomb against the Bengals but I'm pretty happy with the overall looks, balls and production.

He also did a few things he hasn't been doing well, which is stepping up into the pocket, and throwing well on the run. He's spreading the ball around. He looked good ball handling and throwing screens. He's looking to Roscoe. Sure, he misses some plays, open receivers, and isn't the most elusive or fleet of foot but all QBs including Manning and Brees miss a couple balls a game.

I really think Gailey is going to get the most out of Trent. Spiller adds a whole new dimension. The OL has a chance to be decent if they stay healthy. The first four games are pretty brutal but I expect us to beat the Dolphins at home, and that could go a long way to keeping Trent's confidence up.

Great stats.. But I think with our O-Line, he may be killed before Thanksgiving!!

I have to disagree with that statement. The big difference between the regular season and the preseason is game planning. This is especially big when you're dealing with a qb who doesn't use the whole field. Trent has always been able to hit check downs, outs, and deep balls down the sideline. In the preseason, teams aren't implementing a plan to take away those routes and force him to throw the 10-20 yard passes down the middle of the field. During the regular season, they will be. Last year was a sh** show in the preseason due to the no huddle garbage, but if you look at the bills/steelers preseason game from from two years ago, Trent looked awesome. Two TD passes to Robert Royal against the Steelers 1st d. Then the regular season came, the steelers had a historically good D and won the super bowl and the Bills were near the bottom of the league in offense and didn't beat a winning team all year (I know they started the year well, but it was against crap teams). Now given what we know about those two teams (the'08 Bills and the '08 Steelers), if Dick Lebeau is game planning for Edwards, is there any way that he has even moderate success in that game? I say absolutely not. And if you think that not having enough time is Trent's only problem, take a look at the Cleveland monday night game from a couple of years ago. They drop eight and force him to try to beat the zone. The result: pick city. Now I'm hoping against all hope that this is the year Trent figures it out, but I haven't seen anything this preseason that leads me to believe he will. All I've seen is him hitting the same type of passes he's always been able to hit because the defense isn't making a concerted effort to take them away. So, because of that, the preseason stats for Trent this year are 100% completely meaningless to me.

My take is that Trent was given a pile of you know what and told to work it the last couple years. The team was divided for some time (Lee even spoke out and said JP was a better qb). Dicky never lead, but tried to imstall a system, but never had a true leader to take control. This called for Trent to not get a foundation under him. He is no Manning or no Kelly, but none the less he has the fittings to be decent. Now here comes Chan:

1.Chan brought in leadership and stability were there wasn't any.

2. Trent now knows what he has to do and what they are trying to accomplish. A true plan

3. For the first time in a long time, one can see how they act as one unit, continuity is there.

4. Trent now has the confidence that is needed to be successful, plus the backing of a coach. Chan made that clear by stating,"Dog one of us, you dog all of us". That can be our fighting statement because it shows how they feel, and Chan brought that attitude in, and demands it.

5. I doubt Dicky demanded anything???? Chan lets them know where they stand upfront with no BS.

6. A qb needs the confidence within management and the his team mates in order to be confident with themselves.(look at Parrish also, same thing).

This is why Buffalo's offense will be much better this year, plus our horrible line has been together for a year so they will also be improved to help out. The BILLS are by far not an elite team, but Trent is a better QB than what the fins or jets have by far, plus he has more tools and I feel better situation than others. The jets are about that word me.. Revis, their center, others wanting huge pay outs... The fins I believe don't have a good enough coach with the right support...The pats are old and this will hurt them this year, yes big issues brewing, o-line has big ??? (I live in NE so I get the news all day long...) Buffalo has many upsides...

The bottom line is BRING IT TO THE TABLE AND LETS GET IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

What we are witnessing so far is what a difference it is to have a HEAD COACH who wants to win above all else ... a HEAD COACH who is not about to kiss up to his players mistakes by denying them while at the same time defending his players and creating a sense of TEAM. Trent is being given a chance to be the quarterback he appeared to be when in that rookie preseason he looked like a leader in the huddle ... Gailey's offense with Roscoe's presence and David Nelson's potential will open up the middle of the field and that's without even thinking about what CJ will do for our "intermediate" passes.

4/5's of the offensive line is looking pretty good (And, most NFL teams are happy if they have 80% of their OL starters as decent)so that means more time for Trent ... and, yes those 50 - 70 yard passes skew the statistics but that's true with other qb's too and I would love a 60% completion percentage so 68% is really great!

I am not sure if I'd elevate him above Sanchez until we play half the season but this team is going to be competitive and there will be no lying down with a lead ... Gailey is going to want to put away every single game plus this team will not be worn down 3/4's of the way through games. So, with an amazing running game ... Lee Evans ... Roscoe Parrish (I can't believe I am saying that so I admit to being wrong on Roscoe) ... Stevie Johnson and David Nelson ... CJ Spiller-Fred Jackson-The Beast catching passes out of the backfield ... the return of the screen led by Levitre's blocking ... Edwards may be the QB we have been looking for and frankly, we have not shot at Locker next year!