Should bills keep Hardy?

As preseason comes to an end the analysis on Trent has been extremely positive. He seems to be thriving with Coach Gailey. Is it possible that Hardy may do the same? Has Hardy been hindered by immaturity and injuries? Why not retread his big ass too? Tonight I officially retract my CNP stamp (can not play)off of Hardy. His potential is obvious: He is huge, he can catch and he is a vet. I thought he did well. The passes that he dropped were low and behind him. The ones he did snag he showed good concentration off a tip and one in heavy traffic. I believe Chan has gotten his attention and he will remain on the team over the dime-a-dozen-short guys. remember we drafted him bc there is value with jump ball endzone guys. Sure Nelson has been a great find but why not keep them both? Speed kills, crisp routes ran as drawn are great and guys like Revis can punk the T.O.'s out there but you cant shut down height in a chaotic endzone.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As preseason comes to an end the analysis on Trent has been extremely positive. He seems to be thriving with Coach Gailey. Is it possible that Hardy may do the same? Has Hardy been hindered by immaturity and injuries? Why not retread his big ass too? Tonight I officially retract my CNP stamp (can not play)off of Hardy. His potential is obvious: He is huge, he can catch and he is a vet. I thought he did well. The passes that he dropped were low and behind him. The ones he did snag he showed good concentration off a tip and one in heavy traffic. I believe Chan has gotten his attention and he will remain on the team over the dime-a-dozen-short guys. remember we drafted him bc there is value with jump ball endzone guys. Sure Nelson has been a great find but why not keep them both? Speed kills, crisp routes ran as drawn are great and guys like Revis can punk the T.O.'s out there but you cant shut down height in a chaotic endzone.

David Nelson has the same measurables as Hardy, is a rookie not a 3rd year player, makes plays, gets open, and can actually get on the field with the first string offense. Why keep Hardy?

David Nelson has the same measurables as Hardy, is a rookie not a 3rd year player, makes plays, gets open, and can actually get on the field with the first string offense. Why keep Hardy?

Hardy has not been healthy and my point is to keep them both, not one or the other; In other words Hardy over Roosevelt or Jones. We still have to see how Roscoe handles actually starting and possible rookie choke factor with Nelson? We'll have to see when the real deal starts next week. Yes its true Hardy was out with scrubs but if you watched closely he showed his potential and why he caught 2 TDs his rookie year. I wouldn't be surprised if he is kept.

I know Levi took the TD return interception blame on himself for the pass he threw but who was the WR he was going to? It was Hardy who went in not out (where Levi seemed to think it was supposed to go). If he was supposed to go out then that 102 td return goes on him not Levi. :oops:

Brohms INT came on a pass to him to didn't it? hmmmmm detecting a pattern? not a well run one either.

I Think if he gets the cut, we will know why.

Although T.O. may be hanging on a few years too many, he is a big strong tall receiver himself, and Revis is only the best cover CB in the NFL today. I recall watching Owens out run every defender on the field to catch a 95 yard bomb from Fitzy on the road last season, so he still has some gas left in his tank.

But you are right about Hardy. This "vet" as you call him, is only beginning his third year in the NFL, and unlucky injuries along with stupid coaching have left him under-utilized and frustrated. Imagine Gailey with this offense being here last season, when Hardy was finally ready to play, being on the field with Owens and Evans. It seems to me Chan would have figured out creative ways to use this kid, unlike the village idiots who ran the Bills offense during Hardy's first two seasons. Even with the unbelievable number of injuries to the Bills O-Line remaining the same, Gailey would have most likely used Hardy and his height to allow Edwards/Fitzy a fast 3 step outlet over the middle for some important 3rd down and medium plays. I used to wonder how in the hell DJ, Turk and Van Pelt could not collectively figure out how to teach Hardy to line up in the slot, at the snap run 2 yards, turn around and catch the ball over the middle for an easy 4 to 8 yard gain. At 6'6, the kid didn't have to run the freakin' 2 yard route "perfectly", all he had to do was turn around and catch the damn ball over the out stretched hands of any safety or CB or even LB he was taller then, and bail the Bills out on all of those 2nd and 3rd and 5 or 6's they failed to convert.

I think Gailey and Nix would be crazy to cut Hardy now.

I know Levi took the TD return interception blame on himself for the pass he threw but who was the WR he was going to? It was Hardy who went in not out (where Levi seemed to think it was supposed to go). If he was supposed to go out then that 102 td return goes on him not Levi. :oops:

Brohms INT came on a pass to him to didn't it? hmmmmm detecting a pattern? not a well run one either.

I Think if he gets the cut, we will know why.

Brohm's INT went to that Foschi guy. He sucks bad! It's too bad we REALLY need a TE b/c that dude is awful! I think Hardy will be a casualty though

I do not think they will keep 6 WRs. With Wang hurt all preseason but pretty much assured to make the team they need 3 healthy backups on the line so they will have to keep 9. There were a lot of hints last night regarding who has made the team and who is fighting for a job. Nelson played with the first team for a second straight game so he's in (plus he came through again). Joique Bell didn't play RB and Parrish didn't play at all so they're on the team. Keeping 4 RBs means they probably don't have room for 6 WRs unless they go with only 2 TEs (unlikely, though with Nelson suspended they only have 1 healthy, viable TE on the roster).

Every preseason fans obsess about the final 3-5 spots on the team. The reality is that those final 3-5 guys will be inactive every week. As for the receivers, Evans, Johnson and Parrish will play, Nelson gets on the field as a 4th receiver. I think Spiller gets split out wide in special packages. Chad Jackson makes the team and is a special teamer.

So IF they kept Hardy, he doesn't suit up on Sunday so he (again) is relegated to a developmental guy. They have one on IR already: Marcus Easley. Between him and Nelson the are good (not to mention Donald Jones and/or N. Roosevelt probably land on the practice squad).

Nobody should lose any sleep over releasing Hardy.

One other thing on cuts/practice squad: rightly or wrongly, the Bills are picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the league. With the exception of DBs and maybe RBs, no team is going to spend much time scouring the Bills' cuts for possible pickups. That includes Levi Brown. The reality is that there are not a lot of developmental players that any team cuts that they try to get through to put on the practice squad. I wonder if it is almost an unwritten rule or a courtesy/understanding the teams have with each other. I'm not worried about them losing prize prospects by trying to get them through to put on the practice squad.

Brohm's INT went to that Foschi guy. He sucks bad! It's too bad we REALLY need a TE b/c that dude is awful! I think Hardy will be a casualty though

Foschi was brutal. Dropped Brohm's first pass and caused the INT referenced above. Bye bye.

I do not think they will keep 6 WRs. With Wang hurt all preseason but pretty much assured to make the team they need 3 healthy backups on the line so they will have to keep 9. There were a lot of hints last night regarding who has made the team and who is fighting for a job. Nelson played with the first team for a second straight game so he's in (plus he came through again). Joique Bell didn't play RB and Parrish didn't play at all so they're on the team. Keeping 4 RBs means they probably don't have room for 6 WRs unless they go with only 2 TEs (unlikely, though with Nelson suspended they only have 1 healthy, viable TE on the roster).Every preseason fans obsess about the final 3-5 spots on the team. The reality is that those final 3-5 guys will be inactive every week. As for the receivers, Evans, Johnson and Parrish will play, Nelson gets on the field as a 4th receiver. I think Spiller gets split out wide in special packages. Chad Jackson makes the team and is a special teamer.So IF they kept Hardy, he doesn't suit up on Sunday so he (again) is relegated to a developmental guy. They have one on IR already: Marcus Easley. Between him and Nelson the are good (not to mention Donald Jones and/or N. Roosevelt probably land on the practice squad).Nobody should lose any sleep over releasing Hardy.One other thing on cuts/practice squad: rightly or wrongly, the Bills are picked to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the league. With the exception of DBs and maybe RBs, no team is going to spend much time scouring the Bills' cuts for possible pickups. That includes Levi Brown. The reality is that there are not a lot of developmental players that any team cuts that they try to get through to put on the practice squad. I wonder if it is almost an unwritten rule or a courtesy/understanding the teams have with each other. I'm not worried about them losing prize prospects by trying to get them through to put on the practice squad.

I pretty much agree good post, what do you think about D?

Guest dog14787

James hardy has been a slow bloomer, but in my opinion is starting to catch on.

Myself personally, Hardy looked more comfortable out there Thursday night against the Lions(from what little I seen) :wallbash: then he has in the past and made a couple of nice catches in my opinion, one of them in heavy traffic.

I hope we keep James Hardy and give him one more season to get up to NFL speed

James hardy has been a slow bloomer, but in my opinion is starting to catch on.

Myself personally, Hardy looked more comfortable out there Thursday night against the Lions(from what little I seen) :wallbash: then he has in the past and made a couple of nice catches in my opinion, one of them in heavy traffic.

I hope we keep James Hardy and give him one more season to get up to NFL speed

I think he looked more comfortable as well. It is unfortunate that he was hurt most of training camp and we as fans didn't get to see him play. The coaches have a handle on his progress and I'm sure they have enough sense to make the right decision. It feels good to say something like that after the Dick Jauron regime huh?!

Anyhow, he may have looked good last night but I think he may be a victim of the numbers. How many WRs are kept? You have Evans, Johnson, Parrish, D. Nelson, C. Jackson, thats 5. If you keep 6, he is your 6th at this point. C Jackson looked good last night, and I have been critical of him in the past. D. Nelson has impressed and has similar physical attributes to Hardy. I feel he has a leg up because he has more football sense and is quicker than Hardy.

All told, we will see tomorrow but my gut tells me Hardy will not be a Bill come Sunday morning.

Well, last night Hardy did it again. On a long pass down the sideline he failed to raise his arms. 6'5" with long arms and this guy has absolutely ZERO instinct to actually go after the ball.

Isn't this something you just do since you were 10 years old? Raise your arms, use your body, jump and get the freakin' ball!

Cut him.

Guest dog14787

I think he looked more comfortable as well. It is unfortunate that he was hurt most of training camp and we as fans didn't get to see him play. The coaches have a handle on his progress and I'm sure they have enough sense to make the right decision. It feels good to say something like that after the Dick Jauron regime huh?!

Anyhow, he may have looked good last night but I think he may be a victim of the numbers. How many WRs are kept? You have Evans, Johnson, Parrish, D. Nelson, C. Jackson, thats 5. If you keep 6, he is your 6th at this point. C Jackson looked good last night, and I have been critical of him in the past. D. Nelson has impressed and has similar physical attributes to Hardy. I feel he has a leg up because he has more football sense and is quicker than Hardy.

All told, we will see tomorrow but my gut tells me Hardy will not be a Bill come Sunday morning.

I suspect we will keep 6 WR's, especially considering the drop off in proven talent after Lee Evans.

David Nelson has played well,

Awww man, I would have loved to have seen Marcus Easley on the active roster this season :wallbash:

Nelson makes plays and appears to be a smart player.

Hardy? Can't think of any reason to keep him.