Wang vs. T.O.

T master

NFL merchandise revenue is divided equally among all 32 teams. If a billion Wang jerseys are sold in China, the Bills would get the same amount from the sales as Jacksonville, Dallas, or any other NFL team.

Actually, unless something has changed, the revenues are shared by 31 teams. I seem to recall that in 2008 or so, Jerry Jones pulled the Cowboys out of the NFL merchandise revenue sharing arrangement and nows keeps all the money from sales of Cowpokes merchandise. I don't recall seeing any stories about the NFL forcing Jones back into the fold, but I don't pay that much attention to the issue so I could have missed it.

The NFL is growing world wide. I am saying it will work, but it could.

Nah I lived in Korea when the Steelers won the SB although Hines Ward was a household name they really don't have much American football to watch. Plus they didn't get it if it was on. I tried to get some Korean guy friends to watch the super bowl lol.

The poster that said soccer is the worlds most popular sport is 100% correct. Plus there was a world cup in Korea. It is by far the biggest thing in Asia. Basketball is pretty popular.

NFL merchandise revenue is divided equally among all 32 teams. If a billion Wang jerseys are sold in China, the Bills would get the same amount from the sales as Jacksonville, Dallas, or any other NFL team.

Not true. Teams have a chance to "opt out" of the revenue sharing regarding Jerseys. Since Oakland and Dallas have high selling jerseys, they both opted out of the program, even though Oakland still gets all the other revenue sharing.

Not true. Teams have a chance to "opt out" of the revenue sharing regarding Jerseys. Since Oakland and Dallas have high selling jerseys, they both opted out of the program, even though Oakland still gets all the other revenue sharing.

You're right. I didn't realize Dallas was able to opt out of merchandise sharing. Anyway, the Bills are still in with the rest of the league, so sales in China don't give them any more than the other teams.

We all know last year T.O. was brought in not only because of his abilities but another huge part was to increase revenue for the Bills by selling tickets because of his presence on the team and merch sales like jersey's & such .

So i started thinking, with Russ Brandon being a good sales person and knowing how to make money for the team as far as the Toronto series & all.

Have any of you thought that there may have been some thought put into bringing Wang here from the financial side of things before the pick in the draft was made or was it solely because he was a good player .

Because think about the jersey sales and financial possiblities in China ??

I hate to think that way, but in today's world greed is a motivating factor for a lot of things & seeing as Wang was the first NFL player of Chinese decent --- could they have looked at what say -- Yau Ming brought to the NBA & thought HEY JUST MAYBE ????

I for one hope that he was picked for his talent and will make our team a lot better years to come because of his ability's & not for financial gain . But i'm just sayin !!!

Basketball has been played in China for decades. Yau was a star in China before he came to the the NBA. Doubt Chinese sales of his Rockets jersey add to much. Also, easy to assume that the majority of mainland Chinese have never heard of the NFL.

If he was drafted as a marketing object, it is more likely because there are probably a billion dudes in upstate NY who would buy a "WANG" jersey--and still be snickering about it years later.

The NFL is growing world wide. I am saying it will work, but it could.

Nah I lived in Korea when the Steelers won the SB although Hines Ward was a household name they really don't have much American football to watch. Plus they didn't get it if it was on. I tried to get some Korean guy friends to watch the super bowl lol.

The poster that said soccer is the worlds most popular sport is 100% correct. Plus there was a world cup in Korea. It is by far the biggest thing in Asia. Basketball is pretty popular.

I agree with bowery. I spent a lot of time in Europe when they tried the "NFL Europa" experiment. It was a colossal failure. Even in cities that had teams most of the people had never been to a game or even had any interest in going to one. In my opinion it is just too inactive to catch on. Basketball and ice hockey are more or less continuous activity like soccer, but American football is about 15 seconds of activity out of every minute (at best). It is too different from what the rest of the world is used to. Try as they might to expand their market the NFL is pissing into the wind in my opinion.

Do you have a link for this? I didn't think it was an "option." My understanding is that Dallas was able to get out through a prolonged lawsuit, and I didn't realize Oakland also was out.

Honestly, I think they could do it but it would have to be through a bunch of different developmental schemes to make it work. Soccer was done this way in Korea not that long ago. The NFL would have to sponsor some semi pro home grown teams going world wide to build markets. Little leagues would need to be established. Collegent programs set up.... If they wanted to it would take more than plopping players down in random cities and saying come see our great sport. It would be cool. They could shift seasons and have the winners of one region play the winner of another in a world bowl.

Do you have a link for this? I didn't think it was an "option." My understanding is that Dallas was able to get out through a prolonged lawsuit, and I didn't realize Oakland also was out.

According to this article from December 2008, Dallas is the only team that has pulled out of merchandise revenue-sharing. Not sure if other teams have followed suit.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/11/nfl-apparel-marketing-biz-cx_tvr_1212jerseys.html

I put up anotheer sign request on another thread, but ill do another one here. How about someone puts up a sign at the home opener that says

"Buffalo Has The Biggest Wang In The League"

Someone will point out that it just hangs there on the bench.

Let's not forget the #2 international sport, rugby. If China is going to start taking an interest in big people running over each other, they will turn to that first.

Too bad he's not a defensive player -- then we could talk about the stiff pass rush.

Jeez, I can't believe I said that :doh:

Well on the other hand, you can say he is quite the rooster blocker.

Let's not forget the #2 international sport, rugby. If China is going to start taking an interest in big people running over each other, they will turn to that first.

Yeah there is more rugby and even some Aussi football oh in Korea. In Thailand there are more American FB games on than Aussi but that may just be my provider. BTW I kind of like both sports which is why I think the NFL would be wise to do something there. To a certain extent they have a similar culture.