I WAS WRONG ABOUT THE SPILLER PICK!!!

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

What have been the Bills biggest problems over the last 10 years on the field? In order, I'd say QB's, OLine and Pass rush. It's been a long time since the Bills didn't have a good RB. Travis Henry, Willis, Marshawn and Freddy are all very good.

Look at the teams who consistantly win, Colts, NO, Eagles, Arizona, Pittsburgh (over the last 4 years), New England, Cowboys, Ravens. None of them have great RB's. Some have platoons, some have average RB's, some have versatile RB's but none of them have a RB who was picked high (Bush, but he's not a feature). They know that RB's are a dime a dozen, Shannahan proven that year after year.

Who are the last teams to win a SB with a truly great RB......the Rams in 2000 and Denver in '98-99. They also had All Time Great QB's (Warner, Elway), All Time Great LT's (Pace and Zimmerman) and very good Olines.

I'm not saying that you don't need a great running game, you just don't need a great RB.

Spiller is a very exciting player for sure, but is he going to be Reggie Bush or Marshall Faulk? Can he carry the load for a full season? Then why draft him with the 9th pick! As much as I like Spiller, the pick will never make sense to me.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is John Cocktosten and I was wrong about the CJ Spiller pick. It's not that I didn't like him as a player, I've said that I think he was the most exciting player in the draft. It was selecting a RB that bothered me (my rationale below). But after watching the Bengals game, I am here to say that I was completely wrong. He is Marshall Faulk/Gale Sayers, he's special beyond special and if he stays healthy, he will retire one of the great ones. So here's to Buddy Nix, your first pick as a Bills GM was BRILLIANT. May there be many more! :beer:

Love the BPA approach.

I was no fan of selecting a running back before the draft, but once I saw highlights of the guy I was convinced. I was very happy with Spiller on draft day. And now it's nice to see him continue to be electric on the field in the NFL.

I still say Spiller = 2010 version of Gayle Sayers.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Even though Spiller has been great so far and has given us Bills fans something to be excited about, the one lesson this franchise has taught me over the last 10 years is to wait and see before defining ANYTHING.

Remember after the 05 opener how much we loved JP's intensity and arm strength?

Remember how much we loved Trent after a couple good performance sin the 4th quarter?

Remember how amazing Willis McGahee was?

Travis Henry?

I say just sit back, pull up a chair or barstool, gather with friends or family, and enjoy every minute of the Buffalo Bills season, and stop worrying about defining who is or isnt a good pick before they are even eligible to rent their own car.

He is the most explosive athlete I have seen in a bills uniform other than Bruce Smith. Period. He may not turn out to be as good of a football player as numerous bills greats, but he is the most explosive in terms of raw athleticism. It's going to be a fun year. Go Bills!!!

Considering that, after the Bills picked, none of the rookie QB's (so far) look to be even potential franchise players and no rookie LT is starting, the Spiller pick looks even better.

exactly. and thats what buddy/chan said all along. nothing there better than what we already had exept for spiller.

i for one was all for a trade down. but right now im more than happy that didnt happen.

cj can be a very, very special player in this league

i think it's very likely i was wrong also but...so many here have written about giving time to rookies before declaring them a bust (maybin, hardy etc) shouldn't the same standard be applied before we name someone a star? i must admit he's as impressive as the other 2 are not, however...

Considering that, after the Bills picked, none of the rookie QB's (so far) look to be even potential franchise players and no rookie LT is starting, the Spiller pick looks even better.

So because Spiller has looked good in preseason AND because none of the QBs or Left tackles drafted 4 months ago have done anthing yet, the Bills were right in drafting Spiller? This is funny.

Spiller might be an exciting player, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the right pick. I am not saying he wasn't the BPA on the board, I just think that other options could and should have been explored. Maybe the were, but it appears to me that the Bills identified Spiller as their guy early on and jumped on him at 9. I personally would have rather seen them find a way to address some of the other areas of weakness on the team (OL, QB, LB, DL, WR) rather than adding another running back to the group we already had. RB was one of the clear strengths on the team and did not need to be added to. Again, I am not arguing that Spiller is a dynamic talent, I just think it was a luxury pick.

Just my opinion.

It's still too early to say, dude. But he does look good.

So because Spiller has looked good in preseason AND because none of the QBs or Left tackles drafted 4 months ago have done anthing yet, the Bills were right in drafting Spiller? This is funny.

Spiller might be an exciting player, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the right pick. I am not saying he wasn't the BPA on the board, I just think that other options could and should have been explored. Maybe the were, but it appears to me that the Bills identified Spiller as their guy early on and jumped on him at 9. I personally would have rather seen them find a way to address some of the other areas of weakness on the team (OL, QB, LB, DL, WR) rather than adding another running back to the group we already had. RB was one of the clear strengths on the team and did not need to be added to. Again, I am not arguing that Spiller is a dynamic talent, I just think it was a luxury pick.

Just my opinion.

"Find a way to address" OL and QB? You mean, outside of how I mentioned that no one taken after Spiller is looking like any great shakes? :rolleyes:

And they addressed DL and WR (unfortunately Easley got injured). That leaves LB. Is any rookie 3-4 LB tearing-it-up in pre-season?

Remember after the 05 opener how much we loved JP's intensity and arm strength?

Remember how much we loved Trent after a couple good performance sin the 4th quarter?

Remember how amazing Willis McGahee was?

Travis Henry?

I never remember being blown away by any of those guys. Travis was a solid back and Willis wasn't as good as Travis (certainly not at making kids). JP and Trent never looked the part. JP had a decent 3rd season and Trent's had a few good games (NE last year and SD a couple of years ago), other than that...

And I think that's my point, he doesn't possess good/above average/potential. He unequivicoally has it. It's not if because it's already there. The only thing that I worry about is health but that is no different from Chris Johnson and AP.

"Find a way to address" OL and QB? You mean, outside of how I mentioned that no one taken after Spiller is looking like any great shakes? :rolleyes:

And they addressed DL and WR (unfortunately Easley got injured). That leaves LB. Is any rookie 3-4 LB tearing-it-up in pre-season?

They also addressed WR with Nelson and Jackson -- both of whom appear poised to make the final roster.

Just my opinion.

fair enough, but please look back at the draft and tell me which OL, QB, LB, DL or WR we could have taken that would make the immediate impact Spiller seems ready to make?

and remember, we did take 2 DLs, a WR, an OT, and a LB following that pick.

you must have missed the point of my message that the draft was 4 months ago. Not one regular season game has been played. It's far too early to make a determination on any of them. I completely understand the excitement about Spiller. I think he is going to be good. I just would have preferred the Bills to add players at areas of weakness with our #1 pick rather than adding another RB.

Just a difference of opinion.

They also addressed WR with Nelson and Jackson -- both of whom appear poised to make the final roster.

Jackson I'll agree with, but since Nelson was a (seeming longshot) UDFA, I wouldn't count him in there. And you could add signing Andra Davis as addressing LB as well.