Really worried about defense

junkman79

Giving up long runs, middle of the field wide open, linebackers can't pressure the Q, which will leave our secondary vunerable. Hopefully come season opener, they get it together. Through the last couple games it seems the offense is keeping us in the game. Wierd.

Thoughts?

Giving up long runs, middle of the field wide open, linebackers can't pressure the Q, which will leave our secondary vunerable. Hopefully come season opener, they get it together. Through the last couple games it seems the offense is keeping us in the game. Wierd.

Thoughts?

I don't know why Kyle Williams was out but we sure missed him.

Andra Davis looks good against the run and really bad against the pass.

Ellis, Maybin, Kelsey - someone has to get to the QB.

Torbor looked OK until he got hurt.

Thoughts?

Personally, I couldn't care less about the defense right now. They have gone for so long without an offense that wasn't putrid, that I wouldn't care if they didn't draft a defensive player for the next 3 years. Until they can average 20 points a game they will be torture to watch. Then they can worry about the defense. They aren't winning a the Super Bowl this year, I just want some exciting games to watch.

I think an offense that can stay on the field, comeback from a deficit, and give the defense a reason to play, would be the biggest help to the defense could get.

Thoughts?

its probably going to be at least midseason before the defense starts playing as well as it can, simply because of them learning a new defense and new scheme in switching to a 3-4 and having a new coordinator. Same thing happened with Green Bay when they switched to 3-4 either last year or year before...were brutal early in the year and got better as the season went on. Now, they will get better, but just how good can they be? Probably not very to be honest. Its an in-between year with a lot of players playing out of position. Finishing 24th or 25th in the league would probably be the best we can hope for this year.

Good thing is it seems the offense is finally showing some promise, so we should be in for some exciting games if this holds up. If we are gonna suck this year so we can get better next year and the year after, I am all for it. At least lose in an exciting fashion..none of these 6-3 or 15-12 games...lose 31-28 or 35-24 or something, score some points.

its probably going to be at least midseason before the defense starts playing as well as it can, simply because of them learning a new defense and new scheme in switching to a 3-4 and having a new coordinator. Same thing happened with Green Bay when they switched to 3-4 either last year or year before...were brutal early in the year and got better as the season went on. Now, they will get better, but just how good can they be? Probably not very to be honest. Its an in-between year with a lot of players playing out of position. Finishing 24th or 25th in the league would probably be the best we can hope for this year.

Good thing is it seems the offense is finally showing some promise, so we should be in for some exciting games if this holds up. If we are gonna suck this year so we can get better next year and the year after, I am all for it. At least lose in an exciting fashion..none of these 6-3 or 15-12 games...lose 31-28 or 35-24 or something, score some points.

This :thumbsup: good post

I was thinking the same thing after watching the 1st quarter. I chalk it up to a couple of things.

1. Were playing very vanilla defense in these games. You do not see more than 4, maybe 5 coming at one time. I really hope that coach edwards starts being more aggressive in the regular season.

2. We were without the beast in the middle (Kyle Williams). A lot of people on this board do not give Kyle his due respect for what he does every down and game.

3. Poz is still getting back to being himself, plus were playing a bunch of different combinations for linebackers. Davis would come in then Kawika, Bryon getting in there two for some reps.

I think this defense will come around and show some real improvements from this preseason.

I know this is oversimplifying things but one of the strengths of the 3-4 is a variety of blitz packages. I suspect there is a heck of a lot of stuff not on film for them to use against Miami. Countering that of course is the fact that Miami has seen the 3-4 many times in the past two years.

Let's hope Troup develops quickly or it is going to be a long year. Williams is just not big enough for the NT spot no matter how big his heart or relentless his motor.

I'm not really worried about the D. We have so many young guys and we've switched to a new defensive scheme. It'll just take time to adjust and for them to learn their new assignments. We'll be stronger in the 2nd half than in the first. If Edwards is a good DC then our D will grow into their rolls just fine with time. No need to fret.

Go Bills!!!