Another example why not to draft a QB in the first round...

sharper802

Brian Brohm will be cut this weekend. Had he come out after his Junior year he likely would have been the #1 pick of the entire draft. Three years later he will be out of the league. Just say no to QB's in round one. Next year Santa please bring me an offensive tackle or inside linebacker in round one.

Edited by sharper802

Brian Brohm will be cut this weekend. Had he come out after his Junior year he likely would have been the #1 pick of the entire draft. Three years later he will be out of the league. Just say no to QB's in round one. Next year Santa please bring me an offensive tackle or inside linebacker in round one.

Tell you what. You make your list of guys currently starting in the NFL NOT taking in the first round and I'll make a list of guys that were.

We can then decide which list you'd rather have. Just to warn you - it's going to get scary after you put down Brady and Favre.

You cannot just dismiss QBs from the first round just because of risk. Risk is always a factor and there are busts at all positions. QB is the toughest position to draft but do not exclude round one or you may miss out on the next Peyton Manning.

Remember Elway, Kelly, Marino, ...

I went ahead and made the list. Go ahead and tell me you want to avoid first round QB talent. Crazy.

Current Starting 1st Round QBs(56% of all QBs):

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlesburger

Aaron Rodgers

Eli Manning

Donovan McNabb

Drew Brees (round 2, pick 1, I know - I'm claiming him)

Carson Palmer

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler

Matt Stafford

Sam Bradford

Vince Young

Mark Sanchez

Jason Campbell

Josh Freeman

Alex Smith

Non-1st Round QBs:

Tom Brady

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Romo

Matt Schaub

Kevin Kolb

Matt Moore

Trent Edwards

Chad Henne

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Derek Anderson

Kyle Orton

Matt Cassel

One exception does not disprove the rule as a whole.

What about all the examples TO draft a QB in the first? Do you refuse to own a car because of that one time someone's car blew a tire and crashed? What about the thousands of other successful, non-killing-you car rides you've been in?

One exception does not disprove the rule as a whole.

What about all the examples TO draft a QB in the first? Do you refuse to own a car because of that one time someone's car blew a tire and crashed? What about the thousands of other successful, non-killing-you car rides you've been in?

That's not even quite the right analogy. It's more do you want a car made by Mercedes or Kia? Are you really going to avoid Mercedes because you knew someone that had a Mercedes break down?

No you buy the Mercedes because there's always a far greater chance the Kia will be a lemon.

I went ahead and made the list. Go ahead and tell me you want to avoid first round QB talent. Crazy.

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlesburger

Aaron Rodgers

Eli Manning

Donovan McNabb

Drew Brees (round 2, pick 1, I know - I'm claiming him)

Carson Palmer

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler

Matt Stafford

Sam Bradford

Vince Young

Mark Sanchez

Jason Campbell

Josh Freeman

Alex Smith

Non-1st Round QBs:

Tom Brady

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Romo

Matt Schaub

Kevin Kolb

Matt Moore

Trent Edwards

Chad Henne

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Derek Anderson

Kyle Orton

Matt Cassel

Great list. Only half of all the starting QB's were first rounders(Brees was not a first rounder). Of those only about half are any good. Furthermore many were not high first round picks either where undoubtedly Buffalo will be choosing. Also some of the 1st round starters aren't playing for the team that drafted them. You have just as good of a chance to find your QB later and at less cost.

I think I would take the top 6 non-first rounders over the top 6 first rounders!

You have just as good of a chance to find your QB later and at less cost.

You could plug any other position into that sentence and it would be true. There are good players throughout the draft at every position, but it's hard to tell who will succeed in the NFL; that's why they are late round draft picks. Just go with who you think is the best.

Great list. Only half of all the starting QB's were first rounders(Brees was not a first rounder). Of those only about half are any good. Furthermore many were not high first round picks either where undoubtedly Buffalo will be choosing. Also some of the 1st round starters aren't playing for the team that drafted them. You have just as good of a chance to find your QB later and at less cost.

I think I would take the top 6 non-first rounders over the top 6 first rounders!

Your joking, right?

Peyton Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlesburger

Aaron Rodgers Waited five years to start

Eli Manning

Donovan McNabb Different team albeit great with his original team

Drew Brees Round 2, pick 1 - the perfect example to help prove my point

Carson Palmer

Joe Flacco

Matt Ryan

Jay Cutler Different team

Matt Stafford Unproven but promising

Sam Bradford Unproven

Vince Young Great College QB

Mark Sanchez Passer rating below 70![/u]

Jason Campbell Different team - not partuclarly good with the first one

Josh Freeman Unproven

Alex Smith [u]Bust

Non-1st Round QBs:

Tom Brady

Brett Favre

Matt Hasselbeck

Tony Romo

Matt Schaub

Kevin Kolb

Matt Moore

Trent Edwards

Chad Henne

Jake Delhomme

David Garrard

Derek Anderson

Kyle Orton

Matt Cassel

Edited by sharper802

Sharper - you do realize that you are talking about a numbers game? To make this fair, it would be to compare round 1 vs. only round 2 or any other such round. Otherwise, you have the 3-6 quarterbacks from round one vs. all the other quarterbacks in every other round plus free agents......Of course, you are going to have a Unitas, Montana, etc. in your pile - your pile is huge compared to the round one pile.......And, yet round one is still at 56%.

I wonder what the Hall of Fame looks like. Are there more round one QBs or more round 6?

Peyton Manning -HOF, possibly best QB ever

Philip Rivers -Stud, will be Superbowl contender for next 5 years

Ben Roethlesburger -personal problems aside, HOF resume, 2-time Superbowl champ

Aaron Rodgers -is he ready to be the next great QB? Most think so.

Eli Manning -Superbowl champ

Donovan McNabb -borderline HOF, great career, still going strong

Drew Brees (round 2, pick 1, I know - I'm claiming him) -let's not let his draft position get in the way, Superbowl, amazing career

Carson Palmer -pro-bowler, injury derailed potential, looks like he'll be back to pre-injury form this year

Joe Flacco-TBD, but looks nice

Matt Ryan-TBD, looks nice

Jay Cutler-TBD, up and down

Matt Stafford-TBD, signs point to bright future

Sam Bradford -TBD

Vince Young -don't want him

Mark Sanchez-TBD

Jason Campbell-don't want him

Josh Freeman-TBD

Alex Smith-no thanks

Non-1st Round QBs:

Tom Brady -HOF, another case for one of the best ever

Brett Favre -HOF, holds every record

Matt Hasselbeck -couple of pro-bowls, can't stay on field

Tony Romo -won in playoffs, looks solid thus far despite all the haters

Matt Schaub -never been to playoffs

Kevin Kolb -TBD, scenario similar to Aaron Rodgers

Matt Moore -next

Trent Edwards -skip for sake of debate

Chad Henne -TBD

Jake Delhomme -flashes of competence, recently horrible

David Garrard -next

Derek Anderson -next

Kyle Orton -actaully decent, but c'mon

Matt Cassel -system QB, would you pay 60mil for him

This is as objective as I can get. I'm thinking 1st round here.

Clearly you are insane. However, let me just bury you now.

There have been 460 playoff games played between 1939 and 2009.

This means 920 QBs starts at 2 starters per game.

Of those 920 QB starts, 195 were by different quarterbacks.

40% of those 195 QBs were drafted in the first round.

Let's break it down further:

677 QBs have been drafted in the NFL.

1st Rnd: 136 have been drafted.

64 of them have started at least 1 playoff game (47%)

15 started at least 10 playoff games (11%)

2nd Rnd-Undrafted:

541 drafted/unsigned.

131 have started at least 1 playoff game (24%)

12 started at least 10 playoff games (2%)

All this might be too confusing for you, so let me make it simple:

You have roughly a 1 in 2 chance of making at least one playoff game with a QB drafted in the first round.

You have roughly a 1 in 4 chance of making at least one playoff game with a QB drafted outside the first round.

You have a roughly 1 in 10 chance of making 10 playoff games with a QB drafted in the first round.

You have roughly a 1 in 50 chance of making 10 playoff games with a QB drafted/signed otherwise.

To suggest taking a QB in the first round is a waste of time...is idiotic.

/close thread.