Now we know why Brohm was #3

Flynn looked really pedestrian last week. But I think he has a lot of talent and Green Bay made a wise choice. They knew when they drafted him that he had a chance to be very good. The only reason why he wasn't drafted earlier was because he was pretty much a one-year wonder (through no fault of his own).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Gailey is perfectly content to take what the defense gives you and methodically march the ball down the field and with players like CJ Spiller, Lee Evans, wait for the right opportunity, and just when the defense least expects it,

Lightning strikes...

You can tell the regular season is right around the corner ... optimism abounds!

I'm not bashing you, saying you are wrong or calling you a homer, just making an observation on how all things are considered possible (or even likely!) when everyone is 0-0 :)

Guest dog14787

You say that Trent lost his confidence over a few good hits...BS. Do you think a young Jim Kelly would lose confidence after a concussion? No way in hell. He would want to tear somebody's head off. Trent is a kitty, he never had "it" so how do you lose "it". This is Football, your gonna get rocked, especially a QB with a terrible line, but that's why they make tons of money. Quit making excuses for Trent, he's had more than his fair share of chances. Stop blaming the coaches and every other excuse you can come up with. He finally showed off his 1 testicle when he got hit in the Indy game, lost 1/2 of tooth and came back and threw a bomb to Evans. Now if his other nut will decend he may gain the "it" factor he's been missing.

I am amazed at how I just used the P _ _ _ y word to describe Trent and it turned into Kitty! Is somebody in my computer editing my vulgarity? I'm a little paranoid. Will my mouth suddenly taste soapy? I had no idea this site was policed, live and learn.

Programmed in is more like it,

Jim Kelly has never had to play behind as poor of an O-line as Trent has he,

Jim kelly never received as poor of coaching as Trent Edwards has in the past has he,

Jim Kelly had pro bowl caliber linemen, TE's,RB, WR, had the best GM in the game today build the football team he played for, had one of the best OC's at the time develop his offense in Ted Marchibroda.

So comments like this make about as much sense as some of the comments from Jim kelly regarding our QB situation over the last couple of years,

who knows, maybe all them concussions really did get to Jim...

Agreed, this Flynn kids looks about 3 times better than Brian Brohm. Why is it when I watch these pre season games I see teams with 2, sometimes 3 QBs better than out best guy, whoever that is. Green Bay, Dallas, Seattle, New Orleans, Tennessee, and San Diego immediately come to mind. Is it coaching? Scouting? Drafting?

Funny. I remember back in the day how Gale Gilbert looked like Dan Marino in preseason. I'd wonder why we didn't package him with a 3rd rounder for a first round pick.

Flynn looked really pedestrian last week. But I think he has a lot of talent and Green Bay made a wise choice. They knew when they drafted him that he had a chance to be very good. The only reason why he wasn't drafted earlier was because he was pretty much a one-year wonder (through no fault of his own).

Thanks for answering my question before I got to ask 'why did he last so long in the draft'!

Your right, people are too quick to dismiss Brohm because he lost the back up role to Flynn. The fact is that Flynn is a gamer. This doesn't mean that Brohm can't still be a good NFL quarterback.

This was the exact point I was attempting to make; you were the first poster to identify it. :worthy:

O-Line will not look nearly as bad as last year. Gailey runs a lot of misdirection and play-action. Plus this line is built to run block. If, and I say If, the team is capable of running early and often, Trent will be left with very makeable 3rd downs which will only need 3 step drops and quick releases. I am willing to wager that the Bills O-Line gives up no more than 2/3 the amount of sacks they let up last year and there is a very good chance they will let up less than half.

Agreed!

The protection _schemes_ look like they have changed some. The 70-yard TD from TE to LE was in max-protect. It was setup by success in the running game. Gailey knew how to set that up and when to call it. Dick did not have a clue.

Not to mention our O-line was devastated by injuries last year.

I really don't get how people can't grasp that - even here where everyone watched enough Bills games last year to know it.

"Our O-line is the worst in the league because they sucked over the course of last season and we didn't bring in any high picks or big names." the reasoning goes.

But our starting O-line didn't play most of the games last year, AND they are young as heck. Levitre and Wood are two developing stars. Hanny's fine. Bell looks fine when he's healthy, and what he does wrong is probably teachable (penalties are teachable, his combo of size and athleticism is not). Green's not great, but he's not an embarassment.

Most of the guys who were playing O-line for the Bills last year most of the season are not playing this year.

This was the exact point I was attempting to make; you were the first poster to identify it. :worthy:

It's true - and you raised an excellent point. That doesn't translate to "Brohm > Fitz and Edwards" or some such thing, just that the fact that he didn't stick in GB isn't the end of the world.

Edited by BobChalmers

Thanks for answering my question before I got to ask 'why did he last so long in the draft'!

Flynn is actually an interesting story. As a freshman he was a back-up to a guy Marcus Randall who ended up playing a couple years in the NFL (although teams tried to change his position a few times). As a sophomore he had to beat out Jamarcus Russell and almost did. Say what you will about Russell now but he was a stud at LSU and the first overall pick of the NFL draft. As a back-up one game Flynn was 7-7 with three TDs. In the SEC Championship, Russell got hurt and Flynn finished the game, and then they won the Peach Bowl game with him, routing Miami 40-3. But he only threw about 100 passes total in three years as a back-up (although he played great).

In his one year as a starter, they won the National Championship and he was MVP of the title game. It's kind of surprising no one took him in the 4-6 rounds.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Flynn is actually an interesting story. As a freshman he was a back-up to a guy Marcus Randall who ended up playing a couple years in the NFL (although teams tried to change his position a few times). As a sophomore he had to beat out Jamarcus Russell and almost did. Say what you will about Russell now but he was a stud at LSU and the first overall pick of the NFL draft. As a back-up one game Flynn was 7-7 with three TDs. In the SEC Championship, Russell got hurt and Flynn finished the game, and then they won the Peach Bowl game with him, routing Miami 40-3. But he only threw about 100 passes total in three years as a back-up (although he played great).

In his one year as a starter, they won the National Championship and he was MVP of the title game. It's kind of surprising no one took him in the 4-6 rounds.

Besides Flynn's limited but excellent college career, Flynn is playing in one of the NFL's top offensive systems.

Aaron Rodgers is 41-of-53 for 470 yards and six touchdowns with no interceptions this preseason. Flynn's performance has been uneven at times but he's getting more comfortable within this high-powered machine.

Green Bay is one of those passing offenses which seem to be very finely tuned.

Similarly, Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon haven't missed a beat in Pittsburgh this offseason when Big Ben has been out.

Matt Cassel didn't drop off much when Brady went down in 2008.

Sorgi always looked good coming in for Peyton Manning.

Some offenses seem to thrive regardless of which of their QBs is under center.

Hopefully the Buffalo offense becomes one of these "quarterback friendly systems."

After watching the Packers crush the Colts and seeing Matt Flynn whip the ball around the field, it's easy to see why Brohm slid down the Packers depth chart. Flynn looked better than some NFL starters, especially with all the talent around him.

I know, I know, it's Pre-season.......but, Flynn obviously felt comfortable out there tonight. Many Dismissed Brohm because he lost his starting job to a 7th round pick, it's obvious the Packers saw something promising in Flynn.

Just my 'drunken' thoughts. Go Bills!

When you sober up, ponder this: Flynn might be better than Brohm, that's not the reason I dismiss Brohm. After viewing all films, scouting his pro(2 pre-seasons) & college career, all the GMs in the NFL did nothing to get Brian Brohm on their 53 man roster last September. Any time a team is about to waive a guy with as a high a profile as Brohm (2008 2nd round QB), they don't just throw him out on the waiver wire, they try to trade him, and get something back, rather than lose him for nothing. Obviously, nobody was willing to give up ANY draft pick for the guy, and then all 31 other GMs let him sail through waivers without claiming him. It's not about Rodgers & Flynn ahead of him. It's aboutthe fact that any team could have had Brian Brohm for nothing other than a roster spot & passed.

Now the real Brohm fanatics will continue with the BS about GB's crowded roster or that other teams were too set with guys like Printer,J. Palmer, Ratliff, Hoyer, Ainge, O'Connell, Shockley, Hanie, Daniel, Bomar, Null, and other more high profile losers with more experience, but the bottom line is that the other GMs thought more of keeping the no names I've listed instead of cutting any of these guys in order to get Brian Brohm on their roster. I didn't even list any guys picked in early rounds, like the 4th who could have been cut in favor of Brohm if that team though Brohm was half the player his fans around here think he is. The Jets kept 4 QBs including Erik Ainge & Kevin O'Connell and slept soundly letting Brohm sail by them on waivers. Face it, it wasn't just GB letting him go for nothing, teams around the league saw such a flawed player nobody in the league thought he was worth a simple waiver claim. That's reality.

Pretty sobering stuff. Maybe more of the Brohm fans need to stay away from the brewskies when they watch him play & then they could see why all the GMs and their pro/college scouts thought he was trash when GB waived him.

Brohm needs work,

Brohm needs work,

Brohm needs work,

I agree Brohm needs work but there must have been a reason why the Packers counter offered the Bills to keep him in Green Bay .

If Gailey is a coach that can bring out the best in a Q.B then this might be a match made in heaven !! I looked at Brohms college stats & the guy was a monster , even his worst year he made Edwards look like a high school Q.B.

Over 10,000 yards & 70 D's in his college career , let's hope our new coach can bring him back to that point at the pro level . Plus his TD to INT ratio was always more than double to the good , so hopefully he just misremembers & it will all come back to him soon !!!

I agree Brohm needs work but there must have been a reason why the Packers counter offered the Bills to keep him in Green Bay .

If Gailey is a coach that can bring out the best in a Q.B then this might be a match made in heaven !! I looked at Brohms college stats & the guy was a monster , even his worst year he made Edwards look like a high school Q.B.

Over 10,000 yards & 70 D's in his college career , let's hope our new coach can bring him back to that point at the pro level . Plus his TD to INT ratio was always more than double to the good , so hopefully he just misremembers & it will all come back to him soon !!!

For the final time-how difficult is it for some people to understand that GB preferred to try to keep a guy around as an insurance policy against injury who already knew their system. It's that simple-it was November, nobody coming in would know their offense like Brohm did.

What about the question I always ask when someone makes the statement you did-If GB really wanted Brohm, why didn't they try to EXCEED the Bills' deal which was only for last season & this one with no guarantees? The GB counter offer is just more BS from Brohm lovers blinded by his college stats. If you love college stats, go and start a "Bring Timmy Chang to Buffalo" club.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Agreed, this Flynn kids looks about 3 times better than Brian Brohm. Why is it when I watch these pre season games I see teams with 2, sometimes 3 QBs better than out best guy, whoever that is. Green Bay, Dallas, Seattle, New Orleans, Tennessee, and San Diego immediately come to mind. Is it coaching? Scouting? Drafting?

Sometimes it's the coaching. Sometimes it's the players you have around your qb. In the Bills case, it is probably a combination of the two.

For the final time-how difficult is it for some people to understand that GB preferred to try to keep a guy around as an insurance policy against injury who already knew their system. It's that simple-it was November, nobody coming in would know their offense like Brohm did.

What about the question I always ask when someone makes the statement you did-If GB really wanted Brohm, why didn't they try to EXCEED the Bills' deal which was only for last season & this one with no guarantees?

Because they were making a playoff run and would have had to cut a player at a different position they wanted to keep.

Because they were making a playoff run and would have had to cut a player at a different position they wanted to keep.

Yet they did offer to activate him, just not for what the Bills were offering. So if they had done that they would have had to cut someone. So it doesn't quite match up with what you say.

Yet they did offer to activate him, just not for what the Bills were offering. So if they had done that they would have had to cut someone. So it doesn't quite match up with what you say.

True. But it was going to cost them more money, cash for bonus and a two year deal. Who knows? The point really is that the Packers wanted him, they just didn't desperately want to save him to be a third string quarterback. Pretty much any team that is down to their third string QB is out of the playoff picture. The Packers decided they were going to only keep two QBs and have stuck with that. The fact that they did want to add him and cut a guy also says that they thought something of him.

The fact is, no one knows what they really thought of him. They tried but didn't try hard to keep him. That's about all we know for sure. Everything else from myself, you, albany and everyone else is conjecture.

When you sober up, ponder this: Flynn might be better than Brohm, that's not the reason I dismiss Brohm. After viewing all films, scouting his pro(2 pre-seasons) & college career, all the GMs in the NFL did nothing to get Brian Brohm on their 53 man roster last September. Any time a team is about to waive a guy with as a high a profile as Brohm (2008 2nd round QB), they don't just throw him out on the waiver wire, they try to trade him, and get something back, rather than lose him for nothing. Obviously, nobody was willing to give up ANY draft pick for the guy, and then all 31 other GMs let him sail through waivers without claiming him. It's not about Rodgers & Flynn ahead of him. It's aboutthe fact that any team could have had Brian Brohm for nothing other than a roster spot & passed.

Now the real Brohm fanatics will continue with the BS about GB's crowded roster or that other teams were too set with guys like Printer,J. Palmer, Ratliff, Hoyer, Ainge, O'Connell, Shockley, Hanie, Daniel, Bomar, Null, and other more high profile losers with more experience, but the bottom line is that the other GMs thought more of keeping the no names I've listed instead of cutting any of these guys in order to get Brian Brohm on their roster. I didn't even list any guys picked in early rounds, like the 4th who could have been cut in favor of Brohm if that team though Brohm was half the player his fans around here think he is. The Jets kept 4 QBs including Erik Ainge & Kevin O'Connell and slept soundly letting Brohm sail by them on waivers. Face it, it wasn't just GB letting him go for nothing, teams around the league saw such a flawed player nobody in the league thought he was worth a simple waiver claim. That's reality.

Pretty sobering stuff. Maybe more of the Brohm fans need to stay away from the brewskies when they watch him play & then they could see why all the GMs and their pro/college scouts thought he was trash when GB waived him.

So what. In 1994 Kurt Warner was released by Green Bay. He couldn't beat out Ty Detmer for the 3rd string QB position. Every GM in the league passed on him as well. He ended up playing Arena Football until the Rams gave him a call. Look how he ended up.

18 years and only two starting QB's is amazing in itself, whats even more amazing is the first QB leads the NFL in almost every category(Brett Favre) and the 2nd QB Aaron Rodgers could very well be one of the best QB's that's ever played the game. The pocket awareness that Rodgers displays is incredible, along with the pin point accuracy, great running ability yadda, yadda yadda, is there anything Rodgers can't do well, I don't think so,

Even Graham Harrell has shown glimpses of potential throughout preseason (Packers 3rd stringer)so yes,I would venture to say the Packers know a thing or two about QB's.

TO piggyback on this, Green Bay has had 3 consecutive Pro Bowlers at QB. Depew's own Don Majkowski was the starter before Favre and was pretty good until he tore his rotator cuff.