Owners want 18 games, players don't

I don't get the need for 18 games. Playoff rosters are already so beat down by the end of the season. Let me tell you the real reason owners want this. Its another home game and more television dates they get to add to the season BUT they know the players won't get that much of a pay increase and that their careers would end earlier thus they can shorten the length of contracts and make less guaranteed money.

You don't want a 16 game season its just going to lead to a season that is more watered down at the end and its going to lead to players careers being shorter and shorter.

I don't get the need for 18 games. Playoff rosters are already so beat down by the end of the season. Let me tell you the real reason owners want this. Its another home game and more television dates they get to add to the season BUT they know the players won't get that much of a pay increase and that their careers would end earlier thus they can shorten the length of contracts and make less guaranteed money.

You don't want a 16 game season its just going to lead to a season that is more watered down at the end and its going to lead to players careers being shorter and shorter.

I bet the vast majority of players have their "careers shortened" because they are released from the league (they suck) than because they are injured. I bet it's not even close. This notion of large numbers of players disappearing from the league because of 2 more games played is disproven every year by every team that advances to their second playoff game.

I bet the vast majority of players have their "careers shortened" because they are released from the league (they suck) than because they are injured. I bet it's not even close. This notion of large numbers of players disappearing from the league because of 2 more games played is disproven every year by every team that advances to their second playoff game.

On the other side of the coin, the Bills lose a huge amount of players to IR without even touching the playoffs 10 years running.

the NFL isn't broke so why change it. It's just a money grab by the owners. The players will want more money because of it. It's a bad decision.

My solution would be.

1) Make OTA's and Mini Camps closer to Training camp. Reduce the amount of OTA's for the players.

2) Reduce the number of preseason games to 2 games.

3) Add the Preseason games to NFL Sunday Ticket and make more of them primetime.

If you do this there will be less injuries before the regular season. this will also cause the coaches to play the starters more during the 2 preseason games. Since the starters will be playing more attendance will go up. PLus you will get TV revenue since more people will be playing.

St. Louis fans are probably shaking their heads right now. Bradford looked good last night but they probably lost Avery for the season.

On the surface, I agree with your post. However, they are cutting two weeks of preseason. This means that the owners are losing one preseason home game. So, they aren't losing any more games. The difference in revenue generated between a home preseason vs home regular season is rather negligible in the grand scheme of it all. The big money grab comes from the TV contract as the networks will have to pay for 2 more weeks of games. If the NFL owners were really smart, they could milk it some more by giving more bye weeks to teams which would reduce injuries and also IR placements. By adding bye weeks you also have more nationally televised games which in turn means even more money.

So in summation longer regular season+ shorter preseason= no change in season length, and more money for owners. More bye weeks= longer season= more $ for owners + less games lost to injury.

Agree with the added bye weeks mnetioned by you and PTR.

NFL economics will soon require 18 games to float financially --- but player bodies can barely make it through 16. The added bye weeks is a good compromise solution.

I personally would look forward to watching the final regular season games in mid-January.

NFL economics will "soon require 18 games to float fincially"? Horse dung, unequivocal horse dung. An 18 game schedule is

simply to feed the greed of the Jones, Synder, Kraft, etc., club. Pure and simple - greed.

The players take enough of a beating in 16 games. But the NFL needs more games for TV. What to do?

1) Reduce the pre-season to 2 games and maybe a scrimmage.

2) Add a second bye week.

3) Add Tuesday and/or Wednesday night games.

4) Have teams coming off a bye play those games.

5) Add 1 more playoff team per conference, from 6 to 7.

6) Add an extra week to the playoffs by having the 6th and 7th seed play a play-in game to the wild card round.

The result: Regular season is 18 weeks, playoffs are 6 weeks, pre-season is two weeks. More games for TV. Two new nights of NFL football. An extra week to the most exciting part of the season: the playoffs. Players actually play fewer games instead of more, but season is longer. Win win win!

Discuss.

PTR

I like the idea that Super Bowl would then fall on President's Day weekend. The Super Bowl would truly become a holiday weekend.

NFL economics will "soon require 18 games to float fincially"? Horse dung, unequivocal horse dung. An 18 game schedule is

simply to feed the greed of the Jones, Synder, Kraft, etc., club. Pure and simple - greed.

Ad hominem much?

I'd say this article supports my position better than your "unequivocal horse dung" supports your position.

I honestly think it all sounds good on paper until you take into account that teams especially the bills can barely get through a 16 game season. To me keep it 16 games maybe even do the 17 game idea but 18 is stupid. Plus it takes away a ton of history of the game such as dickersons rushing record, undefeated seasons, etc etc it just doesnt make sense then every record would seem tainted

The NFL did experiment with two bye weeks in the 1990s, didn't they? I believe they got away from it because of scheduling difficulties.

On the surface, I agree with your post. However, they are cutting two weeks of preseason. This means that the owners are losing one preseason home game. So, they aren't losing any more games. The difference in revenue generated between a home preseason vs home regular season is rather negligible in the grand scheme of it all. The big money grab comes from the TV contract as the networks will have to pay for 2 more weeks of games. If the NFL owners were really smart, they could milk it some more by giving more bye weeks to teams which would reduce injuries and also IR placements. By adding bye weeks you also have more nationally televised games which in turn means even more money.

So in summation longer regular season+ shorter preseason= no change in season length, and more money for owners. More bye weeks= longer season= more $ for owners + less games lost to injury.

The players take enough of a beating in 16 games. But the NFL needs more games for TV. What to do?

1) Reduce the pre-season to 2 games and maybe a scrimmage.

2) Add a second bye week.

3) Add Tuesday and/or Wednesday night games.

4) Have teams coming off a bye play those games.

5) Add 1 more playoff team per conference, from 6 to 7.

6) Add an extra week to the playoffs by having the 6th and 7th seed play a play-in game to the wild card round.

The result: Regular season is 18 weeks, playoffs are 6 weeks, pre-season is two weeks. More games for TV. Two new nights of NFL football. An extra week to the most exciting part of the season: the playoffs. Players actually play fewer games instead of more, but season is longer. Win win win!

Discuss.

PTR

I no longer want 18 games, for the simple reason that more games means less elite play. Attrition is bad enough as it is.

The bye, to me, is unfair. Think of all the times we played New England coming off of their bye.

A seventh team only hurts the sixth team, who's got a hard enough road as it is.

Basically, imho, if it ain't broke don't fix it. The league probably doesn't care what I say but there is my two cents.