Oh my god, the Bills sign J.P. !!!

J.P., welcome to Spinal Tap. You're our new drummer.

I have never seen one team blow out so many Tight Ends over 3 years.

No one can stay healthy

:w00t: Great call!

The Spinal Tap thing is life imitating art:

"SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Vince Welnick, who took over as the Grateful Dead's keyboard player in 1990 after a succession of predecessors met untimely deaths, has died at the age of 55, according to an announcement on his Web site...Welnick is the fourth keyboard player for the band to have died, and his Web site referred to the position as a "particularly doomed spot….Originally a member of the 1970s rock band "The Tubes," Welnick joined the Grateful Dead after longest-serving keyboard player Brent Mydland died in 1990 of a drug overdose...Previously, pianist Keith Godchaux died in a car accident in 1980, a year after he left the band, and founding vocalist and keyboard player Ron "Pigpen" McKernan died in 1973 of a gastrointestinal hemorrhage."

The Bills made an addition at a position that could no longer go unaddressed on Monday afternoon, as Buffalo signed tight end J.P. Foschi. The four-year veteran spent last season with the Cincinnati Bengals appearing in 15 games with 10 starts.

Foschi (6’4” 265) set career highs in receptions last season with 27 for 260 yards and a pair of touchdowns for the Bengals. His receiving ability is considered by most to be his best asset, though he is also known as a capable blocker.

He has spent time with the Oakland Raiders (2005-2006) and the Kansas City Chiefs (2008) before playing for Cincinnati last season. The 28-year old was originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the New York Jets in 2004.

Foschi has some familiarity with Buffalo’s coaching staff having played his college ball at Georgia Tech when Bills head coach Chan Gailey was the Yellow Jackets head coach.

Foschi is practicing with the team this afternoon as he steps in immediately to help ease the burden on starting tight end Jonathan Stupar, as he was the only healthy tight end on the roster after Michael Matthews joined Shawn Nelson and Derek Schouman on the injured list.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Bills-sign-TE-Foschi/e8030707-e569-4ef3-9469-a10ad885ffb4

You sir, are a crusty dingleberry for your misleading 'JP' signs heading.

No, I did not think the Bills resigned Losman. But a more correct (and less dingleberryish) heading would have been 'A JP'. :angry:

Chan seems to keep picking up the Bat Phone and pulling in GA tech alumns... I am not sure how to feel about that

In his first year, transitioning a new team to his offense...I don't find it very surprising. Why bring in a guy at this point who *doesn't* know the offense and isn't clearly better than the guy that does? He also knows what he is getting.

Edited by jeremy2020

Chan seems to keep picking up the Bat Phone and pulling in GA tech alumns... I am not sure how to feel about that

Hell, I don't really care if he is summoning Beelzebub and putting his soul up for hock. If he gets us capable players at badly needed positions, that's a cause to celebrate. :thumbsup:

I mean, on paper the man looks perfect. I mean, we desperately needed someone who could block well with the run game that Chan seems to be planning, and we haven't had a strong TE corps in a while.

Parcells always brought his guys with him to a new team.

Seemed to work alright for him.

I like the Foschi signing, and I don't at all mind Chan bringing in guys he knows or from GT. And we needed the familiarity with Gailey's system so Foschi could play right away.

That said, Parcells was usually bringing in guys from Super Bowl winning teams or very successful NFL teams to his new city, and not journeymen UDFA from 7-6 Georgia Tech teams.

It didn't always work out that well for him. There were times when he'd bring in guys who'd been good a few years ago, but were clearly nearing the ends of their useful careers.

To me, this type of nepotism and patronage exists everywhere and with all football coaches to varying degrees.

At some point, it is impossible to say one player is better than another. At that point the tie-breaker becomes things like:

1) Is this a person I am familiar with and comfortable with?

2) Does this person already know the system? (this is probably a biggie)

The practice of hiring people you know, in and of itself is not wrong…as long as its application is fair. You factor it in as fairly as possible.

Anyways coaches are pragmatists. They know they are almost always on the hot seat. They usually won't make stupid personnel decisions that might damage their own careers (except for Wade Phillips and Ronnie Brown…that was the whole thing that made that situation so strange…Phillips was willing to hurt his own career…also Greg(g) Williams and Ronnie Vinklarek)

This tight end had a career best year last year. He started 10 games. He knows the system. He is a reputed hard worker with a skill set similar to the person he is replacing. The fact that he has played under Gailey previously is almost beside the point. Other than the fact that he knows the system and that's a huge win-win for coach, player, and team.