Ralph is not Cheap 2

The owner did what he usually did. He hired someone he knew (Nix) without any further meaningful search process.

Then how do you explain the hiring of Polian and Donahoe, two people Ralph didn't know before hiring? There's two holes in your argument bucket.

PTR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would it be smart P.R. to send out signals that the Bills are interested in Shanahan and Cowher if, in the end, the team has no interest in either. wouldn't that be bad P.R. when neither are signed. perhaps, the reality of it was that the Bills were, in fact, interested in both.

jw

Great point John. Wish I had thought of it.

:doh:

Ralph is either cheap or incompetent, most likey both. In the NFL with all the rules designed to help small market teams, until this year, the fact the Bills have not made the playoffs in a decade is a joke. Ralph termed the phrase "Cash to the cap" Sounds cheap to me. Ralph hired both Marv and Russ to be GM. Sounds like incompentence to me. Ralph whored out games to Toronto, neither cheap or incompetent, just ignorant and wrong. If he really really wanted Cowher or Shannahan, he needed to not just throw money at them, but promise to throw money at players that they needed to build a winner. I am sure he threw the money at them, but I doubt he gave them that promise, sounds cheap to me!

No clue whether Ralph is cheap or not. What I do know with some certainty is that he is unwilling to spend the money it takes to field a winning football team in the 21st Century NFL. Coaches, management, players, staff all appear to be journeymen/women who approach their positions as just that.

After years and years of the summers highs, followed by the season lows, why would anyone come to expect anything else?

Once more, with feeling: If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Ralph is either cheap or incompetent, most likey both. In the NFL with all the rules designed to help small market teams, until this year, the fact the Bills have not made the playoffs in a decade is a joke. Ralph termed the phrase "Cash to the cap" Sounds cheap to me. Ralph hired both Marv and Russ to be GM. Sounds like incompentence to me. Ralph whored out games to Toronto, neither cheap or incompetent, just ignorant and wrong. If he really really wanted Cowher or Shannahan, he needed to not just throw money at them, but promise to throw money at players that they needed to build a winner. I am sure he threw the money at them, but I doubt he gave them that promise, sounds cheap to me!

Well I was on the side of Ralph isn't cheap, until I read this post. But now that you're sure he would have paid 10 mil per for a coach, but didn't promise to sign players, it's really got me thinking. It's like he just won't do both. He'll either sign a coach or pay players, he's tricking us fans and I'm tired of it. He won't build a winner, because he's spending too much time figuring out how to fill that darn stadium, and spending just enough to fool us into supporting the team. How does he figure out how to fool us year after year?

fine. that's your opinion. why is it your intention to drag me into some sort of agreement with you, and then do so by saying if i don't, you'll accuse me of having low standards?

i'm not getting dragged into this discussion or share with you the way i see it because it's not my place.

my intention -- for the third time in this thread -- (and i'll type slowly so you can keep up) was to simply point out that a poster had a fact wrong and that his other point lacked a certain sense of logic.

people are entitled to their opinions. in the case of this topic, too often, people go off half-cocked by basing their opinions on loose facts and logic.

you, rather, would prefer to make it personal by taking a potshot at me by questioning my standards.

jw

My "low standard" comment was out of line. I apologize. The Ralph Wilson issue has a tendency to get me fired up.

Then how do you explain the hiring of Polian and Donahoe, two people Ralph didn't know before hiring? There's two holes in your argument bucket.

PTR

Polian was a relatively low ranking official already working in the organization. He was elevated when his boss passed away. Donahoe was an outsider. Levy was someone the owner knew when he broght him back to the organization as a GM. Brandon was in the marketing department. The owner had a high regard for him and trusted him. So he was selected to replace Levy. The owner knew Nix. He was brought back to the organization by Modrak the previous year. He was an inside hire.

There is a basic point here in these hirings. The owner is the most influential person in the hiring and firing of staff. His record speaks for itself. The firing of Polian. The firing of Butler/Smith. The hiring of Levy as a GM. The elevating of Brandon after Levy's departure.

Edited by JohnC

The Bills have missed the playoffs for a decade (although they haven't had the worst record over that time). We already knew things were bad. So realizing Ralph isn't cheap isn't worse. It just goes to show you that money doesn't solve things. Although I guess Ralph could have spent big bucks on a name HC, only to alienate his star player. <_<

Who do we have that is a "Star Player?"

Who do we have that is a "Star Player?"

Potentially Byrd (Pro Bowl reserve last year). Kyle Williams (PB alternate last year). Maybe Stroud, and he'd be a more fitting comparison for Haynesworth, although not as dominating a presence anymore as Haynesworth is now. Spiller, although he's a rookie who plays offense.

Potentially Byrd (Pro Bowl reserve last year). Kyle Williams (PB alternate last year). Maybe Stroud, and he'd be a more fitting comparison for Haynesworth, although not as dominating a presence anymore as Haynesworth is now. Spiller, although he's a rookie who plays offense.

:w00t:

So, you were trying to imply that hiring Mike Shanahan would have been a bad move because if he was hired here then some sort of Albert Haynesworth scenario could have and may even have been likely to develop.

:w00t:

So, you were trying to imply that hiring Mike Shanahan would have been a bad move because if he was hired here then some sort of Albert Haynesworth scenario could have and may even have been likely to develop.

Not necessarily. Then again, I didn't expect him to alienate his best defensive player and figured that given his resume, no one would give Shanahan any problems.