Athletes, it turns out, aren't the only ones who hit their ladies

Buftex

Sorry, I rarely start posts, because I never know how to title them...

Jay Mariotti in hot water!

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jay-Mariotti-arrested-on-felony-charge-after-domestic-incident.html

Not trying to make light of a bad thing, just that Mariotti is one of the most vocal critics of any athlete that gets into trouble. Not a big fan! Used to kind of like him when he was just a newspaper columnist...

Edited by Buftex

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jay-Mariotti-arrested-on-felony-charge-after-domestic-incident.html

Not trying to make light of a bad thing, just that Mariotti is one of the most vocal critics of any athlete that gets into trouble. Not a big fan! Used to kind of like him when he was just a newspaper columnist...

Sometimes when I make the horrible mistake of watching Around the Horn, I see Mariotti and he seems like a Grade-A D-bag. I guess this is just confirmation. I also get the impression that he's a pretty small and weak guy, who probably could only beat up a woman. <_<

Not giving him any free passes here, but I will wait to hear what the incident was before I pass judgement here. what passes for domestic violence these days is very sketchy....when KRod was charged with domestic violence after his fight with his father in law, and the fact that the father in law pressing charges or not was inconsequential, as the authorities HAVE to file charges in domestic cases, kind of makes me look at it with a bit of uncertainty. Now if he did something, fine, he is a scumbag, but I am going to wait and see what the facts are.

whats wrong with that show?

I should hate that show. It is responsible for launching several "scream at each other" shows and segments. But I have to admit, when Kornheiser and Wilbon are on, I find it fairly entertaining and compelling. But it just doesn't work with any two jamokes screaming at each other.

I should hate that show. It is responsible for launching several "scream at each other" shows and segments. But I have to admit, when Kornheiser and Wilbon are on, I find it fairly entertaining and compelling. But it just doesn't work with any two jamokes screaming at each other.

I think you are confusing Around The Horn (bad ESPN) with P.T.I (pretty good ESPN). Around the Horn is awful.

Aren't those two different shows - PTI seems much better than Around the Horn from the little I've seen of them.....But, I am biased because I am a huge Tony K radio show fan.

Not giving him any free passes here, but I will wait to hear what the incident was before I pass judgement here. what passes for domestic violence these days is very sketchy....when KRod was charged with domestic violence after his fight with his father in law, and the fact that the father in law pressing charges or not was inconsequential, as the authorities HAVE to file charges in domestic cases, kind of makes me look at it with a bit of uncertainty. Now if he did something, fine, he is a scumbag, but I am going to wait and see what the facts are.

I would normally agree with you Pooj, but the reason that this got my attention, is that Jay Mariotti has become the ultimate judgement passer, before all the details are known, over the years. To me, he deserves the same consideration that he gives to his subjects.

im with you on this one Pooj. given the nature of the incident and how it takes very little for a man to be arrested in this situation, im not casting any stones just yet.

and PTI is the best sports show on TV. Around the Horn I could take or leave. But if you are only going to catch one sports show a day, PTI is the best choice.

I just envision the outcome of this being something like during an arguement he slams his hands on the kitchen table causing a spoon to flip through the air and hitting his girlfriend in the face. I get what you are saying about Mariotti and his condemnation of others, but I am not gonna play his game, if he did something truly that is worthy of my ire, then fine, but until I know for sure, i am gonna be on the sidelines.

I would normally agree with you Pooj, but the reason that this got my attention, is that Jay Mariotti has become the ultimate judgement passer, before all the details are known, over the years. To me, he deserves the same consideration that he gives to his subjects.

I think you are confusing Around The Horn (bad ESPN) with P.T.I (pretty good ESPN). Around the Horn is awful.

Yes, my bad. Around the Horn always sucks, no matter who is on. PTI is good with the two regulars, but can suck when a bad sub takes one of their places.

I still hold PTI responsible for the Around the Horns of the world, as well as the stupid segments such as "Clayton and Salisbury scream and insult each other".

Yes, my bad. Around the Horn always sucks, no matter who is on. PTI is good with the two regulars, but can suck when a bad sub takes one of their places.

I still hold PTI responsible for the Around the Horns of the world, as well as the stupid segments such as "Clayton and Salisbury scream and insult each other".

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that all this started with The Sports Reporters, which I used to watch religiously during the Dick Schaap days. And, then PTI kind of sprung off of that. And, I may be wrong, but I think they started doing that sidebar that shows what they'll be talking about next. And, now every local news, etc. does that.

The only time I have subjected myself to Around the Horn was when I was in a dentist chair (like that wasn't bad enough). That's happened 2-3 times. I tend to make my dentist appts at the same time of the day........It was horrible.

Sports Reporters was great (not sure if it's still on) and PTI is good when I have seen it with the two regulars........And, then you dilute the idea and throw in blowhards and you get ATH.

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that all this started with The Sports Reporters, which I used to watch religiously during the Dick Schaap days. And, then PTI kind of sprung off of that. And, I may be wrong, but I think they started doing that sidebar that shows what they'll be talking about next. And, now every local news, etc. does that.

The only time I have subjected myself to Around the Horn was when I was in a dentist chair (like that wasn't bad enough). That's happened 2-3 times. I tend to make my dentist appts at the same time of the day........It was horrible.

Sports Reporters was great (not sure if it's still on) and PTI is good when I have seen it with the two regulars........And, then you dilute the idea and throw in blowhards and you get ATH.

Sports Reporters was/is terrific, for the most part. But they don't really yell at each other too much.

Sports Reporters was/is terrific, for the most part. But they don't really yell at each other too much.

Certainly not like those ATH asshats, but I kind of remember Lupica always getting in some p'ing match with somebody, and then looking like a spoiled brat......But, yeah, the show was great when I watched and probably still is. They kept changing the time of it, and it kind of lost something for me without Dick S. and I lost track of it.

You can have a show with some spirited debate like TSR or PTI and then when you keep trying to regenerate it, and stick in guys who didn't make TSR cut, you devolve into ATH.

Certainly not like those ATH asshats, but I kind of remember Lupica always getting in some p'ing match with somebody, and then looking like a spoiled brat......But, yeah, the show was great when I watched and probably still is. They kept changing the time of it, and it kind of lost something for me without Dick S. and I lost track of it.

You can have a show with some spirited debate like TSR or PTI and then when you keep trying to regenerate it, and stick in guys who didn't make TSR cut, you devolve into ATH.

You know, one of the many sad things about the death of newspapers, is seeing guys like Mariotti, Lupica (two very good columnists at one time), and Rick Riley (always an idiot) have to become tv personalities to save their careers. Frank Difford, with his segments on HBO Real Sports, in my opinion, is one of the only old-timers who has made the transition gracefully.

It certainly was when Dick Schaap was alive. And not that John Saunders was the problem (I've always liked him), but it seemed like at some point the usual guys (Lupica/Korneisher/Ryan in particular, Albolm to some extent) started getting too obnoxious as their public profiles became larger. Plus, in their effort to expand the # of different reporters they put on the show, they ended up with people who just weren't as good on TV.