Forget Brohm

JustMaxx

So, you think it has noting to do with Brohm playing with a lead and Fitz playing at a time they were desperate to score? And I don't recall Fitz having a lot of time with a WR who totally missed camp.

Um no, honestly i don't. And what does one WR have to do with anything? How about i make a counter point... Its not like Brohm was going up against 1st team defense. He was playing against indys what did you call it "2nd, 3rd and "wont be on the team" string defense." there is so much potential he shouldn't have had a problem scoring. he still had opportunities to throw to jackson(who looks good) and had bell running for him(who also looks very good). And it wasn't even the first game brohm has played in. Why didn't Levi Brown, who is a rookie, taken no snaps in the NFL, not have trouble finding the endzone? And there is the problem, the guy can't find the endzone, i'm not saying don't let him play and develop, but he has not done a thing to warrant playing with the starters, i think.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here is pulling for brohm a lot recently it seems after last night. You would of thought he threw 4tds and 300 yards last night by this board. In actuallity, he did a little more than nothing. 14/21 for what, 125 yards against second string? Fitz played better the first game. In fact, do we realize he didnt play AT ALL in the first preseason game? Because why? Because Trent/Fitz outplayed him to that point. Hes third on the depth chart.

What last night makes him second or first on the depth chart? Fitz and trent have thrown tds, he hasn't. In fact he hasn't thrown one his whole career.

He even got into camp before trent at fitz during rookie camp, and theyre still ahead of him.

Wake up and smell the coffee, his only chance is the #2. At best. Trent is a better quarterback.

But all in all, Go Bills

Yeah i,m with ya. I'm so sick of hearing about all this Brohm **** it's not even funny. I posted last week where people were talking about him being the starter as if he lit it up somewhere else before he came here. He's done nothing i mean nothing anywhere and if he has please clue me in.

Um no, honestly i don't. And what does one WR have to do with anything? How about i make a counter point... Its not like Brohm was going up against 1st team defense. He was playing against indys what did you call it "2nd, 3rd and "wont be on the team" string defense." there is so much potential he shouldn't have had a problem scoring. he still had opportunities to throw to jackson(who looks good) and had bell running for him(who also looks very good). And it wasn't even the first game brohm has played in. Why didn't Levi Brown, who is a rookie, taken no snaps in the NFL, not have trouble finding the endzone? And there is the problem, the guy can't find the endzone, i'm not saying don't let him play and develop, but he has not done a thing to warrant playing with the starters, i think.

The number you seem to be looking for is Brohm's percentage chance of scoring a TD on any given possession. My contention is that you're not going to find that number--at least not with any degree of accuracy--by looking at the data you already have. The sample size is too small.

First, let's count up the number of offensive possessions Brohm has had, both in the regular season and the preseason. Since he's had so little playing time, let's lump those possessions together. Then, I think you have to eliminate anomalous possessions from the data set. For example, Brohm didn't know then offense either in his rookie year in Green Bay, or last year with the Bills. Neither instance of playing time should be considered representative of the Brohm you'd be getting when he does know the offense. Then, you have to eliminate possessions where the objective was to run out the clock, or where there was too little time for a quarterback to reasonably be expected to put his team into the endzone.

After you've done all that, you're left with a very small number of possessions to base any opinion on. (His second preseason with Green Bay, plus the game he just played.) Those possessions just aren't numerous enough to draw any definitive conclusions about whether Brohm is or isn't good at putting the ball in the endzone. There's too much random variation that has nothing to do with Brohm. For instance, if Brohm throws a perfect pass on 3rd and 7, and the receiver drops the ball, then that entire possession is wasted as far as getting the ball into the endzone. Or, the offensive coordinator could call a running play on 3rd and 7. Or an offensive lineman could miss a block, and cause a sack. All sorts of things can happen to ruin possessions, and with such a small sample size you're not going to be able to eliminate the effect of that noise.

A better way to analyze a QB's play is to watch the tape, and compare a QB's actual performance against what would have been achieved by a hypothetical perfect QB. Here's an example.

Play 1: your QB completes a 15 yard pass. You determine that the hypothetical perfect QB could have completed a 20 yard pass. 1.5 points for your QB, and 2 points for the perfect QB.

Play 2: your QB gets intercepted. The hypothetical perfect QB would have completed a 10 yard pass. -10 points for your QB, 1 point for the perfect QB.

Play 3: your QB gets sacked. The perfect QB would have thrown the ball away. -1 points for your QB, 0 points for the perfect QB.

After doing all this, you compare your QB's "score" with that of the perfect QB. That percentage tells you how successful he was at taking advantage of whatever opportunities he had. You can do the same thing for some other QB, to see how successful that other QB was at taking advantage of his opportunities. If QB A played 60% as well as a perfect QB would have, and QB B played 75% as well, then that says QB B was better.

If that method of analysis was used for Brohm, you'd see some plays where he did very well in relation to the opportunities he had, and other plays where he failed to take full advantage of those opportunities. The question is whether he can learn to become more consistent in taking advantage of his opportunities.

Get the Bills trapper keeper...

School supply shopping should have sucked because it was the first concrete sign you had to go back to school...EXCEPT...some genius decided to invent the aforementioned trapper keeper. I think my first one had sharks on it.

Before the pre-season began I was all for giving Brohm the starting position and let him simply play and learn as he goes leaving Trent as the primary back-up and Brown as the 3rd stringer, cutting Fitz altogether. However, if a man such as Chan Gailey, who helped pick Tyler Thigpen as a starting QB at one point in time, says that Trent is our best option for THIS YEAR, then I say, In Chan I Trust....not that I'm not sick of seeing Trent do all the stupid and rookie type of mistakes he continues to make, but Chan HAS to know better than we do. Chan has nothing invested in Trent, not his draft pick or his prodigy, so if Trent gets the ball, then somewhere in Chan's mind, he's earned it. That's enough for me, for this season. Revamping the defendse to a 3-4 was a great first step in building this team to a playoff contender, if not for any other reason but that we face a 34 six times a year, and practicing against it, HAS to help! We hope....as for a QB, none of them coming out this year impressed me, so I'm fine with seeing what's here for another year, and while Defense got a make-over this year, offense can get it, next year with O-line and QB issues being addressed in the first two rounds, if the talent level warrants such picks. But, we do need playmaking linebackers and that is still an unknown commodity on this team too.....so, let's play this year and re-evaluate the talent at year's end......off topic, looking forward to the Nix and Whaley years while Whaley is getting ready to take the reigns of this team when Nix retires.

Um no, honestly i don't. And what does one WR have to do with anything?

I stopped reading here. If there is anything worthwhile past here, I apologize for not spending more time with your very insightful post.