Gailey already blaming O-Line

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everybody already knows this. Gailey said it because it's both true and germane.

You can't address all your weak spots in one year's draft, especially when you're switching defensive schemes and have two and possibly three major weaknesses on the o-line and need a QB and probably a #2 WR. It just can't be done.

They've made it clear that they're going to build through the draft and fill in with low to mid-level FAs. Don't like it? Find another team or avoid any Bills news for a year or two. We don't want to hear the whining. We all know we have major OL problems, well, all but the most seriously deluded.

And this is from a guy who wanted to trade down a few spots and pick Bulaga as long as we didn't get Dan Williams. Though I also wanted Clausen, especially if we could trade down.

I'm expecting a good running game, with a lot of play-action, draws, bubble screens, reverses, and slants. :wallbash:

I am expecting a lot of misdirection, but defenses will maintain their lanes. We just aren't a talented team yet. I would be shocked if we don't get a top 3 pick this year. Like I said- I want to see what we do on the field- I don't care what the final record it. Its year 1 of the rebuilding project and we will take our lumps- finally

I agree with you about Cordaro. But getting better at one position, and the fact that that position is RG, the second-least imjportant position in the line, isn't going to turn our offense into a juggernaut.

But yeah, Chambers is almost as good as Cornell Green. Green had trouble starting last year on the Raiders. He is a journeyman, and that's pretty much what Chambers is too. Green wins out with experience but is not all that much better.

As per that (no longer free) pff.com link you provided, Green was solid in pass and run blocking. Where he got knocked down significantly was penalties, which I've said he needs to improve on. Chambers OTOH was abysmal all-around. But again as I said, improvement on the O-line is one part. The other is at QB.

You're using the same crystal ball that led you to predict T.O. would make the no huddle offense an explosive juggernaut.

If I ever claimed the Bills would be an "explosive juggernaut," and I don't recall doing so (especially after they fired Schonert, cut Walker, changed offensive strategy, and suffered all those injuries), it was probably because I expected Trent to progress, not continue to regress. And saying that the Bills should have a good running game isn't really much of a stretch.

I am expecting a lot of misdirection, but defenses will maintain their lanes. We just aren't a talented team yet. I would be shocked if we don't get a top 3 pick this year. Like I said- I want to see what we do on the field- I don't care what the final record it. Its year 1 of the rebuilding project and we will take our lumps- finally

The infrequent use of reverses will serve to slow down an over-aggressive pass rush. So too with draws. And a bubble screen to Spiller can be quite effective. If the running game gets going, the play-action could also be quite effective, assuming Trent or whoever is starting can get the ball to a receiver.

Ok let's use your logic and the proverbial "can't do it all in 1 year" excuse. You say (and I would agree) that we needed to get better in the following areas: QB, LT, RT, WR, TE, DL, LB. So with the #9 pick we take RB? When we have 2 starters already and Bell and the kid from Indy (who both look good). So w/o Spiller we were set at RB, do I have to name all the players at the positions you mentioned we passed on in round 1? I really don't want to hear about value either because value IS determined by team needs. What's valuable to one team is not necessarily valuable to the next. Spiller may have been valuable to the Texans but not to us.

And if you don't like to be insulted back stop the delusional and drugs references to those who share a different opinion.

This isn't a fact board, it's an opinion board so neither of us is wrong or right, just see things very different.

Point well taken. I just get sick of folks expecting ALL of the above in one year. By the #9 pick, I think the LT issue was dead. Every team in the league was luke warm on Claussen. So, what would you have our guys do? Take the next Kyle Boller?? Winston Justice?? or take the next Tony Dorsett??

If Spiller is Tony Dorsett or even Reggie Bush, he's well worth the #9 and will justify the pick.

I am judging these guys on what they do. And so far, I have no idea. We'll see.

The Bills only employ 6 scouts to cover the entire country

and then let their boss work part-time from home in Florida on a semi-retired basis

and then let his boss work part-time from his home in Tennessee on a semi-retired basis.

anyone seeing a pattern as to what the problem may be in finding and evaluating talent

There was a thread posted about how bad the scouting dept has been the past 8 years that Modork has been leading them. Considering how many good O linemen have been drafted since 2002 I'm amazed the guy has managed to keep his job this long...

Somebody somewhere has miss-lead this coaching staff about the talent they have on the O line, and they will probably pay with their jobs.

The Bills only employ 6 scouts to cover the entire country

and then let their boss work part-time from home in Florida on a semi-retired basis 

and then let his boss work part-time from his home in Tennessee on a semi-retired basis.

anyone seeing a pattern as to what the problem may be in finding and evaluating talent

Why do you feel the need to lie about the Bills scouting department? It's bad for your credibility…if that's important to you.

Besides your gross misrepresentation of the number of scouts the Bills employ, Buddy Nix spends his entire time in Buffalo, not Tennessee. He made that abundantly clear when he accepted the GM job.

Buddy Nix General Manager

Doug Whaley Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel

Tom Modrak Vice President of College Scouting

Paul Lancaster Director of Player Programs

Doug Majeski Coordinator of College Scouting

Darrell Moody National Scout

Rashaan Curry College Scout

Brian Fisher College Scout

Brad Forsyth College Scout

Matt Hand College Scout

Shawn Heinlen College Scout

Tom Roth College Scout

Dave G. Smith Scout Emeritus

Dave W. Smith Scout Emeritus

Rob Hanrahan Pro Personnel Coordinator

Kevin Meganck Pro Personnel Analyst

Jacky Kosmowski Scouting Assistant

Michael LaFlamme Scouting Assistant

C.J. Leak BLESTO Scout

Why do you feel the need to lie about the Bills scouting department? It's bad for your credibility…if that's important to you.

Besides your gross misrepresentation of the number of scouts the Bills employ, Buddy Nix spends his entire time in Buffalo, not Tennessee. He made that abundantly clear when he accepted the GM job.

Buddy Nix General Manager

Doug Whaley Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel

Tom Modrak Vice President of College Scouting

Paul Lancaster Director of Player Programs

Doug Majeski Coordinator of College Scouting

Darrell Moody National Scout

Rashaan Curry College Scout

Brian Fisher College Scout

Brad Forsyth College Scout

Matt Hand College Scout

Shawn Heinlen College Scout

Tom Roth College Scout

Dave G. Smith Scout Emeritus

Dave W. Smith Scout Emeritus

Rob Hanrahan Pro Personnel Coordinator

Kevin Meganck Pro Personnel Analyst

Jacky Kosmowski Scouting Assistant

Michael LaFlamme Scouting Assistant

C.J. Leak BLESTO Scout

For comparison's sake, the Indianapolis Colts:

FOOTBALL OPERATIONS

Chris Polian, Vice President and General Manager

Tom Telesco, Director of Player Personnel

Steve Champlin, Director of Football Administration

Clyde Powers, Director of Pro Player Personnel

Kevin Rogers, Associate Director of Pro Personnel

Todd Vasvari, Eastern Regional Scout

Bob Ferguson, Special Asst. to the Dir. of Player Personnel

Mark Ellenz, Area Scout

Bob Guarini, Area Scout

Kevin Kelly, Area Scout

Byron Lusby, Area Scout

Jamie Moore, Area Scout

Matt Terpening, Area Scout

Jon Shaw, Scouting Assistant

Andrew Berry, Scouting Assistant

Anthony Foyt IV, Scouting Assistant

The Pitzzberg Stealers:

Kevin Colbert, Director of Football Operations

Ron Hughes, College Scouting Coordinator

Brandon Hunt, Pro Scouting Coordinator

Joe Greene, Special Assistant

Mark Gorscak, College Scout

Phil Kreidler, Pro/College Scout

Kelvin Fisher, College Scout

Bruce McNorton, College Scout

Dan Rooney, College Scout

Dave Petett , Blesto Scout

Bill Nunn, College Personnel

Rob McCartney, Player Personnel Intern

The Iggles:

Ryan Grigson Director of Player Personnel

Louis Riddick Director of Pro Personnel

Anthony Patch Assistant Director of College Scouting

Keith Fischer National Scout, Combine

Andy Speyer Southwest Regional Scout

Brett Veach Pro and College Scout

Ahmad Russell College Scout

Sean Gustus College Scout

Daniel Jeremiah College Area Scout

Charles London Pro Scout

Bradford Obee Pro Scout

Mike Miller College Scout

Michael Bradway College Scouting Coordinator

Fudge Packers:

Reggie McKenzie, Director - Football Operations

John Dorsey, Director of College Scouting

Shaun Herock, Assistant Director of College Scouting (Midwest)

Lee Gissendaner, College Scout (Northeast)

Brian Gutekunst, College Scout (Southeast)

Alonzo Highsmith, College Scout (Southwest)

Sam Seale, College Scout (West Coast)

Jon-Eric Sullivan, College Scout (Midlands)

Richmond Williams, College Scouting (National Football Scouting)

Tim Terry, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Eliot Wolf, Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Chad Brinker, Scouting Assistant

Danny Mock, College Scouting Coordinator

Autumn Thomas-Beenenga, Pro Personnel Coordinator

The Dolphags:

Assistant Director of Player Personnel

Brian Gaine

Director of College Scouting

Chris Grier

Player Personnel AdministratorChris Shea

Football Administration CoordinatorRyan Herman

College Scouts

Ron Brockington

Chuck Cook

Adam Engroff

Anthony Hunt

Ron Labadie

Mike Murphy

Joe Schoen

Pro Scouts

Dwayne Joseph

Nate Sullivan

Matt Winston

Scouting Assistant

Adam Howe

Executive Assistant/Football OperationsAnnie Berger

Irma Gonzalez

Thuh Jints:

Jerry Reese Senior Vice President and General Manager

Kevin Abrams Assistant General Manager

Marc Ross Director of College Scouting

Joe Collins Executive Scout

Jeremiah Davis Executive Scout

Jerry Shay Executive Scout

Steve Verderosa Executive Scout

Steve Devine Scout

Donnie Etheridge Scout

Ryan Jones Scout

Steve Malin Scout

Chris Pettit Scout

Raymond J. Walsh, Jr. Director of Research and Development

Chris Watts BLESTO Scout

Harry Hulmes Scout Emeritus

David Gettleman Director of Pro Personnel

Ken Sternfeld Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Matt Shauger Pro Scout

Jeremy Breit Pro Scout

Rita Giordanetti Assistant to GM/Scouting

Matt Harriss Football Operations Coordinator

Andrea Wagner Assistant, Pro Personnel

I'd say The Bills are pretty much on a par with the rest of the NFL when it comes to scouting staff numbers.

I was just waiting for this excuse. I knew it was coming and now that he said it confirms my belief that Nix seriously screwed up this offseason by not addressing the O-Line. Gailey says in an article from Chris Brown yesterday that: a QB can't throw downfield while he's scrambling for his life or lying on his back, we got to protect better (paraphrasing).

They are already using the poor oline as an excuse for Trent's failure to throw past 4 yards. I know we played w/o some starters on the oline Friday night but doubt Cornhole Green would do much better. The fact that Nix did nothing to shore up our oline this past offseason will kill this team, something I've been saying since the draft ended . The Bills have alot of money to spend, no cap, no Schobel, small payroll; would it kill them to bring in a Flozell-Jamal Brown-Marcus Mcneil etc.

Damit Ralph spend some money and get us some NFL tackles! Nix get out of bed before noon, put down the Metamucil, pick up the rotary dial phone and do something-Oh Yeah it's too late for this year so go back to bed.

You're kidding right? Do you think Wilson even knows what going on? The only way this team will ever be good under wilson is by pure luck. That is, we have a Kurt Warner step on the field from some local grocery store. Other than that this is the modern day bag over your head Saints team.

I wouldn't judge scouting by the number of scouts a team has, but rather by how they draft and what kinds of players they get out of free agency. Results are what matter, not numbers. My personal favorite is the Baltimore Ravens, who seem to be on the money year after year. My beloved Buffalo Bills? I don't think we're in the top 25 in that element.

I wouldn't judge scouting by the number of scouts a team has, but rather by how they draft and what kinds of players they get out of free agency. Results are what matter, not numbers. My personal favorite is the Baltimore Ravens, who seem to be on the money year after year. My beloved Buffalo Bills? I don't think we're in the top 25 in that element.

The only reason it was brought up was because Spartacus had posted extremely inaccurate information.

We weren't defending the Bills scouting department…only the false accusation that they are understaffed.

edit: And the false accusation that Buddy Nix is semi-retired and working from home in Tennessee when he is actually with the team.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everybody already knows this. Gailey said it because it's both true and germane.

You can't address all your weak spots in one year's draft, especially when you're switching defensive schemes and have two and possibly three major weaknesses on the o-line and need a QB and probably a #2 WR. It just can't be done.

They've made it clear that they're going to build through the draft and fill in with low to mid-level FAs. Don't like it? Find another team or avoid any Bills news for a year or two. We don't want to hear the whining. We all know we have major OL problems, well, all but the most seriously deluded.

And this is from a guy who wanted to trade down a few spots and pick Bulaga as long as we didn't get Dan Williams.

Got me mixed up with somebody else. Yes I did campain for Bulaga but never mentioned Dan Willams anywhere.

Yeah I don't like it, but after 35 years as a die hard fan I've earned the right to think and say whatever I want. You don't like that, quit reading my posts.

You're kidding right? Do you think Wilson even knows what going on? The only way this team will ever be good under wilson is by pure luck. That is, we have a Kurt Warner step on the field from some local grocery store. Other than that this is the modern day bag over your head Saints team.

You may be right, I don't know how involved Ralph is with personnel decisions. Does he have a say in who we pick #1? Good question but your may be right he probably is home in Detroit counting his money and the days until his next good BM.

I am so tired of hearing the "Spiller was the highest rated player" arguement. He was not the consensous BPA by any means. Plenty of other players were rated higher by some, like Dez Bryant, Brian Bulaga, Brandon Grahm, Dan Morgan, or Earl Thomas. Now clearly he was BPA to the Bills scouting staff - but what about their drafting history makes ANYONE think they were right on in their assessment? If anything, the Bills anouncing they had Spiller rated so high scares the sh*t out of me.

The only reason it was brought up was because Spartacus had posted extremely inaccurate information.

We weren't defending the Bills scouting department…only the false accusation that they are understaffed.

edit: And the false accusation that Buddy Nix is semi-retired and working from home in Tennessee when he is actually with the team.

If he had been working in Tennessee we would have beaten the Redskins, with Donovan McNabb completing five passes to Lee Evans and Terrel Owens, supported by a line comprised of Bulaga, Levitre, Hammy, Wood and Flozell Adams and our 4-3 defense would have been whooping the Redskins with two sacks by Schobel.

Unfortunately, he wasn't here in Tennessee.

What's wrong with "pure luck?" It's how several teams won SB's. Like the Rams and Patriots, who lost their starting QB during the season. Or the Saints, who took a chance on a QB everyone else thought was damaged good.

Buddy Nix    General Manager

Doug Whaley    Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel

Tom Modrak    Vice President of College Scouting

Paul Lancaster    Director of Player Programs

Doug Majeski    Coordinator of College Scouting

Darrell Moody    National Scout

Rashaan Curry    College Scout

Brian Fisher    College Scout

Brad Forsyth    College Scout

Matt Hand    College Scout

Shawn Heinlen    College Scout

Tom Roth    College Scout

Dave G. Smith    Scout Emeritus

Dave W. Smith    Scout Emeritus

Rob Hanrahan    Pro Personnel Coordinator

Kevin Meganck    Pro Personnel Analyst

Jacky Kosmowski    Scouting Assistant

Michael LaFlamme    Scouting Assistant

C.J. Leak    BLESTO Scout

This is truly enlightening.

I count 7 scouts listed instead of the 6 that were referenced in an earlier article

Fact remains that the front office has failed miserably over the last decade in finding talent, especially playmakers.

Most of this blame should sit with Modrak, who works part-time from Florida, directing the college scouting effort.

However, he gets a free pass, as do all of the decision makers over the last decade at OBD. 

i kind of see 12 names that could be considered scouts, including pro personnel anylyst & coordinator, scouting assistant, scout emeritus', plus a VP and Director......

This is truly enlightening.

I count 7 scouts listed instead of the 6 that were referenced in an earlier article

Fact remains that the front office has failed miserably over the last decade in finding talent, especially playmakers.

Most of this blame should sit with Modrak, who works part-time from Florida, directing the college scouting effort.

However, he gets a free pass, as do all of the decision makers over the last decade at OBD.