Schopp has got it wrong

Da Big Man

WGR550's Schopp and the Bulldog today were saying that you had to go backwards to go forwards. I think that is idiotic. Did Washington go backwards, did Miami go backwards, did the Jets go backwards. The answer is NO. It takes a good GM, which we haven't had in a decade or so, and a quality coach, which we also haven't had in more than a decade, to recognize the weaknesses and fill as many as you can and then plan around the ones you have left. You go to war with your best 22 players every year. This isn't our parents NFL, you don't build a franchise over 3-5 years and then hope to make a run for Superbowl, you do it now. We have all been fooled again by King Ralph..good GM...not, good coach...not, good QB...definitely not. Levy Brown is the only answer at QB because I have seen enough of the other village idiots to know that they offer nothing. :D

Miami was 1-15, then won the division the next year. The jets were 4-12, then nearly missed the playoffs with Favre then made playoffs the following year. Washington was 4-12 last season, and now looks much better. Each team drafted left tackles the year after hitting rock bottom. Maybe you do have to go backwards to get better.

I don't agree with the whole going backwards to go forwards either...

...but if you're going to try and make a point...you're going to have to do better than this:

Did Washington go backwards, did Miami go backwards, did the Jets go backwards.

First of all, none of those teams are all that special. Only the Jets have done anything in the last couple of years.

If you are going to advocate that the Dolphins went forward, how in the hell does their 1-15 season not count as going backwards? The Jets went 4-12 that year? Those two teams support the counter-argument.

I think the point is that it's worth the drop off in wins/production to get new guys in there to see what they can do.

If Arthur Moats might be very good in 3 years at OLB, then cut Kelsay and give him the snaps even if it means much worse on-field production in 2010.

First of all, none of those teams are all that special. Only the Jets have done anything in the last couple of years.

How about making the playoffs?

That would be pretty sweet, from my perspective.

A couple 2-14s would be just fine with me if it meant a playoff game at the Ralph for the first time since JAX.

The alternative of 5-9 wins and no playoffs is the real hell as a fan.

At the end of the day this league is about one of two things:

Excellent coaching (schemes), QB'ing and above average lines you will be a playoff team - Am,ong AFC East teams Patsies* fit this mold

Excellent coaching (schemes) and lines with average QB you will be a playoff team - In the AFC East the Jets fit this mold and the fins might.

The Bills have had none of the above as both lines and QB situation have been a mess for years - Chan and crew may change the coaching situation but only time will tell.

Schopp is hung up on the belief that you need a #1 overall pick to get a franchise QB. And that if the Bills deliberately tanked they would be a better team for it later.

PTR

I don't necessarily agree with his premise. Even winning 7 games this season should not prevent us from drafting a franchise QB next year because (1) at this point there appears to be an unusually large number of interesting possibilities – such as Locker, Luck, Mallett, Ponder and Devlin and (2) so many of the bad teams have recently signed/drafted their franchise quarterbacks (St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Kansas City, Denver, Detroit). As such, we could still win 7 games this season and walk away with someone like Mallett at the draft, especially if we are willing to trade up a few slots.

WGR550's Schopp and the Bulldog today were saying that you had to go backwards to go forwards. I think that is idiotic. Did Washington go backwards, did Miami go backwards, did the Jets go backwards. The answer is NO. It takes a good GM, which we haven't had in a decade or so, and a quality coach, which we also haven't had in more than a decade, to recognize the weaknesses and fill as many as you can and then plan around the ones you have left. You go to war with your best 22 players every year. This isn't our parents NFL, you don't build a franchise over 3-5 years and then hope to make a run for Superbowl, you do it now. We have all been fooled again by King Ralph..good GM...not, good coach...not, good QB...definitely not. Levy Brown is the only answer at QB because I have seen enough of the other village idiots to know that they offer nothing. :D

Washington went 4-12 last year and when have they went forward? And in 2007 Miami went 1-15 and the Jets 4-12, is a zero win season required to be considered backwards?

'You play to win the game'

Inevitably when a new regime comes in to take over a team they always talk in terms of changing the culture that led to the previous regime's failures. The team needs to do whatever it takes to win and win immediately. Your players ( assets ) are worth more and can be moved, FA's see the team as one that is on the rise and one that is worth signing with. The team in general develops and gels together with wins and when the culture changes from ' winning in the NFL is hard' to we 'expect to win each and every Sunday' the team will be a serious contender. IMO it is pretty simple, success begets success

If that means making astute picks at #7 or #9 instead of #1 overall and then filling in the blanks with strategic FAs then that is what has to be done. If the current regime can't do that then the Bills will continue their playoff drought

Did Washington play in the Super Bowl? Did Miami play in the Super Bowl? Did the Jets play in the Super Bowl? Not recently for any of them.

Now here's a fact you can't dispute: 12 of the 44 Super Bowl winners were quarterbacked by a #1 pick in the entire draft. Now this is skewed by multiple wins by Elway, Aikman & Bradshaw, but having 27% of all Super Bowl winners QB'd by a 1st overall pick, considering how many other players and QBs are taken shows the value that you can get if you're really bad IN THE RIGHT YEAR. All indications are this could be the right year to want to be really bad. There are 3 or 4 prospects, at least one of whom could clearly emerge as a can't miss NFL franchise QB.

Here's where the math shows how unbelievably valuable getting that 1st pick is in the right year. I didn't do any counts, but in the 44 years of the Super Bowl, there have to have been over 10,000 players drafted. Probably close to 500 QBs taken. In 44 years 18 QBs have been taken #1. In a bad year, like 2007, you get a reach like Russell, but in a good year you get P.Manning, Elway, Aikman or Bradshaw. Clearly, getting the 1st pick in the right year is the best way to win a Super Bowl.

'You play to win the game'

Nope, Herman Edwards, a proven failure as a head coach said that. The real quote should be:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL

As I stated above, hitting rock bottom in the right year is the clearest path to winning the Super Bowl.

Why do you think Lebron James is in Miami? He won enough games in Cleveland, but he wasn't on a team that could win it all. So he decided that You play to win championships, not individual meaningless games. Over the past decade the Bills have won too many meaningless games.

Did Washington play in the Super Bowl? Did Miami play in the Super Bowl? Did the Jets play in the Super Bowl? Not recently for any of them.

Now here's a fact you can't dispute: 12 of the 44 Super Bowl winners were quarterbacked by a #1 pick in the entire draft. Now this is skewed by multiple wins by Elway, Aikman & Bradshaw, but having 27% of all Super Bowl winners QB'd by a 1st overall pick, considering how many other players and QBs are taken shows the value that you can get if you're really bad IN THE RIGHT YEAR. All indications are this could be the right year to want to be really bad. There are 3 or 4 prospects, at least one of whom could clearly emerge as a can't miss NFL franchise QB.

Here's where the math shows how unbelievably valuable getting that 1st pick is in the right year. I didn't do any counts, but in the 44 years of the Super Bowl, there have to have been over 10,000 players drafted. Probably close to 500 QBs taken. In 44 years 18 QBs have been taken #1. In a bad year, like 2007, you get a reach like Russell, but in a good year you get P.Manning, Elway, Aikman or Bradshaw. Clearly, getting the 1st pick in the right year is the best way to win a Super Bowl.

Up through Bowl XLIV (2010), the winning starting quarterbacks have been:

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB I

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers - SB II

Joe Namath, New York Jets - SBIII

Len Dawson, Kansas City Chiefs - SB IV

Johnny Unitas, Baltimore Colts - SB V

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB VI

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VII

Bob Griese, Miami Dolphins - SB VIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB IX

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB X

Ken Stabler, Oakland Raiders - SB XI

Roger Staubach, Dallas Cowboys - SB XII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIII

Terry Bradshaw, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XIV

Jim Plunkett, Oakland Raiders - SB XV

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XVI

Joe Theismann, Washington Redskins - SB XVII

Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders - SB XVIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XIX

Jim McMahon, Chicago Bears - SB XX

Phil Simms, New York Giants - SB XXI

Doug Williams, Washington Redskins - SB XXII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIII

Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIV

Jeff Hostetler, New York Giants - SB XXV

Mark Rypien, Washington Redskins - SB XXVI

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII

Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX

Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII

John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII

Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV

Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI

Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII

Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI

Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII

Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

Just to add context to your post, there are a lot of number 1s and likely a few more first rounders. I agree that we need a franchise QB, hopefully the bills will be able to get one next year. IMO the team needs to change the losing culture and when drafting next year, if we can get players like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco ( both are future SB caliber qbs ) with something other than number #1 overall picks then that is the way to go.

I agree with the idea that sometimes you have to bottom out to get better but I don't like it coming from a guy who admittedly doesn't like football. I'm assuming it's because he has serious scarring in his rectum from all the atomic wedgies he received from the football players in high school. Mike Poop knows jack about competing or building a team and has no business discussing anything but stamp collections and cheese drafts. The concept is solid, the source is suspect.

I don't think he's got it wrong at all.........I listened to different parts of the show today and it made sense. If the goal was to win the most amount of games this year, they would have picked up some mediocre veteran QB instead of going with the garbage that we have.........And, they would not switch to the 3-4 and put all these players out of position. Now, doing/not doing those two things might have got us to 7 wins this year, but what good is that.

You can only hang your hat on the fluky Trent Dilfer year for so long. You need a top QB in this league.

I counted 13 on that list. Did you miss Eli? It's 14 if you count Namath (AFL number one overall) and 15 if you count Steve Young (number one supplemental draft - wonder if he would have been number one coming out of college?).......A lot of other high picks, too. Heck, Trent Dilfer was the 6th pick of the draft!

I don't necessarily agree with his premise. Even winning 7 games this season should not prevent us from drafting a franchise QB next year because (1) at this point there appears to be an unusually large number of interesting possibilities – such as Locker, Luck, Mallett, Ponder and Devlin and (2) so many of the bad teams have recently signed/drafted their franchise quarterbacks (St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Seattle, Kansas City, Denver, Detroit). As such, we could still win 7 games this season and walk away with someone like Mallett at the draft, especially if we are willing to trade up a few slots.

I understand what your saying, but there are always 5 or 6 guys talked about before the college season. Then in the end there's one maybe two that end up proving they are first round talent. I.E. Jevan Snead.

I understand what your saying, but there are always 5 or 6 guys talked about before the college season. Then in the end there's one maybe two that end up proving they are first round talent. I.E. Jevan Snead.

Or Brian Brohm

I counted 13 on that list. Did you miss Eli? It's 14 if you count Namath (AFL number one overall) and 15 if you count Steve Young (number one supplemental draft - wonder if he would have been number one coming out of college?).......A lot of other high picks, too. Heck, Trent Dilfer was the 6th pick of the draft!

I missed Plunkett's 2nd win. 31.8%, even better. That means if all players were created equal, the natural odds of winning the Super Bowl with a #1 pick would be less than 1%, but almost 1 of every 3 Super Bowls are won with the #1 pick in the draft. Expanding it to non QBs the #1 pick has played on 43% of SB winners if I have it right adding Russell Maryland & Ed Jones 2 each & Orlando Pace once.

The more you look at it, the better it is to bottom out-do we get to 4 Super Bowls with Bruce Smith?

Mike Poop is a clown. The sooner we all realize that, the sooner we can get on with our lives.

Oh I see what you did there, a super clever play on Mike's last name as an insult :thumbdown: . Wow, really coming strong with that 13th post. As for the topic, with the right GM/scouts, I think drafting around 10 is okay, but bottoming out can certainly help the process if you can hit on a top LT, QB, or game changing DE like Bruce.

I can't make myself cheer for the Bills to lose, but if they only win a few (I think they will do better than that) there is a silver lining.

WGR550's Schopp and the Bulldog today were saying that you had to go backwards to go forwards. I think that is idiotic. Did Washington go backwards, did Miami go backwards, did the Jets go backwards. The answer is NO. It takes a good GM, which we haven't had in a decade or so, and a quality coach, which we also haven't had in more than a decade, to recognize the weaknesses and fill as many as you can and then plan around the ones you have left. You go to war with your best 22 players every year. This isn't our parents NFL, you don't build a franchise over 3-5 years and then hope to make a run for Superbowl, you do it now. We have all been fooled again by King Ralph..good GM...not, good coach...not, good QB...definitely not. Levy Brown is the only answer at QB because I have seen enough of the other village idiots to know that they offer nothing. :thumbdown:

[/quot

Don't agree at all!!