You're the GM

I'm going to begin this post with a somewhat unorthodox premise, so bear with me.

Imagine a football league with ten teams. The players are drawn from the best NFL players of all-time. The league is new, so all ten teams are expansion teams. There is a draft coming up, and each team has one pick per starting position (22 picks total).

You are the GM of one of these teams.

• What style of offense do you intend to have? Run-oriented or pass oriented? Short, high percentage passes, or a more vertical passing game?
  • What style of defense would you employ? A 3-4 or 4-3? Will the defense and player selection emphasize run defense, pass defense, or will it be 50/50?
  • Which specific players do you intend to target with your first few draft picks?

Each team's draft will look like this:

1. [position] [player name]

2. [position] [player name]

. . .

22. [position] [player name]

Which players do you want with your first few draft picks?

I would hire Mel Kiper, Mike Mayock, and Todd McShay to run my team. I would make all three the GM. And if they disagree on a player I would tie all three together on a three-way rope and they would have to pull against each other to reach a button that would register their pick. First guy to his button wins. Genius, I know.

PTR

Why no qb you may ask? Because there were scores of them who would be absolutely great behind the team I would assemble.

I think you're just biding your time to go after JP in the 21st round.

I was wondering how you got to the fourth round without having at least two solid DBs on your roster.

I shouldn't criticize your team though. I have been unable to make any moves because I'm wondering who I should take in round 3.5.

Lawrence Taylor, Joe Greene and Orlando Pace. Am I doing this correctly?

Why no qb you may ask? Because there were scores of them who would be absolutely great behind the team I would assemble.

That sounds a little like the team I had in mind. I envisioned a team with a 3-4 defense, Bruce Smith at RDE, Reggie White at LDE, and Lawrence Taylor at rushing OLB. Unfortunately, getting all three guys might not be possible, so I'll have to think about good substitutes.

Another option would be to go offense with your first few picks; acquiring players like Joe Montana, Jerry Rice or Michael Irvin (or perhaps Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin), etc.

Just out of curiosity: would the offense you'd assemble be run-oriented or pass-oriented? If the former, how much emphasis would you place on getting a guy like Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, or Barry Sanders?

Lawrence Taylor, Joe Greene and Orlando Pace. Am I doing this correctly?

Maybe Taylor and Pace, but rumor has it that Greene wasn't all that, so I'd probably leave him off my list. Then again, did Taylor or Pace ever dominate @ their positions either? Hmm...

Maybe Taylor and Pace, but rumor has it that Greene wasn't all that, so I'd probably leave him off my list. Then again, did Taylor or Pace ever dominate @ their positions either? Hmm...

No, I think I read somewhere only Larry Allen did. that Pace, Munoz, and other Olinemen were very medicocre in comparison.

I would go double QB, double HB, double TE

Round 1 - Rob Johnson

Round 2 - Rob Riddick

Round 3 - Ronnie Harmon

Round 4 - Robert Royal

Round 5 - Mike Williams

Round 6 - Erik Flowers

Round 7 - Jerry Crafts

Round 8 - Obviously this is a dumb response to a dumb post...

In the history of time, you can make an argument for any system with any players... I emplore you to take a team of scrubs and turn them into a Super Bowl team... anyone can use studs...

Just out of curiosity: would the offense you'd assemble be run-oriented or pass-oriented? If the former, how much emphasis would you place on getting a guy like Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, or Barry Sanders?

Because we are talking about superstars, I would go for a balanced attack, with perhaps only a bit more emphasis on the ground. Dave Casper would be my tight end, so that would help. :lol:

No. He was just ok but I like his name.

I'm thinking this team might work better:

QB Larry Allen

HB Larry Allen

FB Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

TE Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

C Larry Allen

OG I dunno

OG Someone who dominated @ their position

All defensive and special teams positions, coaching, GM, ownership, training staff, administrative staff, mascot, cheerleaders, and (of course) food service staff..........Larry Allen

QB Larry Allen

HB Larry Allen

FB Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

TE Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

C Larry Allen

OG I dunno

All defensive and special teams positions, coaching, GM, ownership, training staff, administrative staff, mascot, cheerleaders, and (of course) food service staff..........Larry Allen

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks as if I missed something. :lol:

QB Larry Allen

HB Larry Allen

FB Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

WR Larry Allen

TE Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

OT Larry Allen

C Larry Allen

OG I dunno

You need some scrubs on that team to even things out. Someone like Butkus might fit.