Tiger Woods

WWVaBeach

link

Is golf really all in your head?

Relating my own experiences as a golfer, the game is indeed more mental than anything. Granted, I'm a 10-handicap playing on cheap public courses, but a lot of the same stuff still applies. The physical portion of the game can use tweaks from time to time, but it's largely muscle memory.

Put simply, if you're able to truly clear your mind and have confidence that you can land your 7-iron within 15 feet of the pin, you'll succeed more often than not. Have confidence that you've judged the ensuing putt correctly and it has a pretty good chance of going in...that's how you score birdies and pars instead of bogies.

Maybe coincidence, but his fall has all of the classic symptoms of someone who has stopped using PEDs.

And he has been linked to the Canadian doctor that is currently under investigation for supplying PED's to athletes, no?

While I don't really care much about golf, I must say, Tigers' descent is incredible. I think he, OJ Simpson, Mike Tyson, and perhaps, Michael Vick have had the most public crashes that I can remember, of anyone in sports. It really is amazing to see.

Maybe coincidence, but his fall has all of the classic symptoms of someone who has stopped using PEDs.

I personally believe that PEDs are likely to have been in Tigers past. Whether it was used for rehab or general conditioning, his association with known dealers/doctors is too hard to overlook.

I do however, believe that his poor play is less attributed to PEDs and more likely the cause of mental instability. The guy isn't lacking power of any sort. He's just spraying the ball all over the course. His demeanor and body language is that of a guy who is lacking confidence. Bizarre given who he has been his whole career. Perhaps PEDs play a role in lack of confidence? Its possible I suppose, but in the end whether he believes it or not he still has all the physical tools but is lacking that mental edge.

To make matters worse for Tiger, the PGA is seeing a changing of the guard so to speak. A whole generation of young talented players are coming into their own. They grew up admiring Tiger but on the course they don't have that fear of him. It used to be that when Tiger made his move on Sundays, the rest of the leader board fell apart with fear and pressure. These young guys don't seem to rattle as easily. They certainly respect Tiger and Phil but they have seen that type of top notch ability before.

Tiger intimidated when he was younger, mainly because he was doing things nobody had seen. In a way he raised everyones game to new levels. Especially the young guys who grew up watching him. A little bit of a rant but thats how I see it. Tiger is trying to regain his mental edge against a field he can't entirely intimidate anymore. It's going to be very interesting to see if he can.

For the record, I'm still not betting against him.

Yes...the same argument we heard about how PED's had nothing to do with being able to hit a baseball...

You're comparing a stroke that takes zero power with hitting a basball 350 feet? Sure, PED's don't help you connect with the ball, but they'll help put it over the fence when you do.

My 85 year old grandfather can still sink 10-20 foot putts with relative ease, but I don't see him knocking one out of Fenway.

Actually, I think it may have more with him losing his wife, kids and $100 million than most people would want to believe - not to mention losing his pristine reputation.

I personally believe that PEDs are likely to have been in Tigers past. Whether it was used for rehab or general conditioning, his association with known dealers/doctors is too hard to overlook.

I do however, believe that his poor play is less attributed to PEDs and more likely the cause of mental instability. The guy isn't lacking power of any sort. He's just spraying the ball all over the course. His demeanor and body language is that of a guy who is lacking confidence. Bizarre given who he has been his whole career. Perhaps PEDs play a role in lack of confidence? Its possible I suppose, but in the end whether he believes it or not he still has all the physical tools but is lacking that mental edge.

To make matters worse for Tiger, the PGA is seeing a changing of the guard so to speak. A whole generation of young talented players are coming into their own. They grew up admiring Tiger but on the course they don't have that fear of him. It used to be that when Tiger made his move on Sundays, the rest of the leader board fell apart with fear and pressure. These young guys don't seem to rattle as easily. They certainly respect Tiger and Phil but they have seen that type of top notch ability before.

Tiger intimidated when he was younger, mainly because he was doing things nobody had seen. In a way he raised everyones game to new levels. Especially the young guys who grew up watching him. A little bit of a rant but thats how I see it. Tiger is trying to regain his mental edge against a field he can't entirely intimidate anymore. It's going to be very interesting to see if he can.

Well put. As far as the PEDs, a few years ago TW was built like a big free safety, now not so much. You're right about the new breed of PGA players. they're not at all intimidated by him anymore.

Why is Woods a news item at this point?

Why wouldn't he be? It's the middle of golf season.

My question would be why was Woods a news item last November, but I already know the answer is because Americans love celebrity voyeurism.

You're comparing a stroke that takes zero power with hitting a basball 350 feet? Sure, PED's don't help you connect with the ball, but they'll help put it over the fence when you do.

My 85 year old grandfather can still sink 10-20 foot putts with relative ease, but I don't see him knocking one out of Fenway.

My point was, before the pop was officially popped on the PED scandal in baseball, those in denial, always used the argument that "a pill can't make your hand/eye coordination better"...truth is, we don't really know. And we don't really know what kind of effect not taking PED's, after relying on them, might have on a person, physically or mentally. To say it takes zero power to putt (and I say this as a non-golfer, only been golfing three times) is an exagerration...but it isn't so much the power with putting, as "touch".

Maybe Tiger just needs to engage in cheap, tawdry sex to get his game back. But, something is definitely up with him.

More than ever, it seems, where there is smoke, there is fire.

Actually, I think it may have more with him losing his wife, kids and $100 million than most people would want to believe - not to mention losing his pristine reputation.

And all that tail he's not getting right now. I'm sure he can sneak around a bit still, but it can't be anywhere near as easy.