Bills Article by Pat Kirwan

kota

Interesting he singled out Moats as 'making a name for himself' - haven't been hearing his name nuch in other reports.

Things I like most, more than praises for individuals, are the many comments we keep hearing about the team - "team full of guys who are hungry and practicing like mad since no one is giving them a chance" - gotta love that. And players def seem to be buying into Gailey's way of doing things "Jackson said the team needs the work", "Marcus Stroud came over for a chat, and he was so happy there was lots of contact at camp, becuase he said something had to be done to change the team's losing mindset."

Count me as one of the people who gets more impressed with Gailey by the day - let's hope it translates to the field where the games are played.

Something that stands out maybe more then anything else is Trent Edwards seems to enjoy playing the game of football again and isn't that the way things are meant to be...

Would you enjoy Football playing for Jauron knowing you will probably lose? If you know you are going to lose due to poor coaching you are just collecting a paycheck. Then it doesn't become fun at all.

I heard an interview yesterday with Trent. I swear it is the first time i have ever heard him say that the Offensive issues at the night practice were on him. He needs to make sure he throws good and gets everyone ready. It's the first time i heard him mention the word "I". I was somewhat impressed.

Something that stands out maybe more then anything else is Trent Edwards seems to enjoy playing the game of football again and isn't that the way things are meant to be...

I don't care if he "seems to enjoy playing the game of football again", just that he wins. Just win baby!

Guest dog14787
It cracks me up when people say we had a really good pass defense. Our run defense was 30th in the league, nobody had to pass! I suspect Kirwan was looking for something good to say.

The Bills have one of the best secondary's in the NFL and in case you didn't notice its become a pass oriented league. Running the ball well doesn't always guarantee success any more, the Fish are a prime example

Just a few issues, though: He'll have to do it with the same group of quarterbacks, a receiving corps without last season's top wideout, Terrell Owens, question marks at the tackle position, and the top draft pick holding out.

oh yeah..Can't wait for the season to start. :lol:

Interesting he singled out Moats as 'making a name for himself' - haven't been hearing his name nuch in other reports.

Nothing causes a scribe to lose credibility faster than misidentifying a player's position. Everything we have read is that Moats is playing inside linebacker. Kirwan reports that "Another player making a name for himself is rookie outside linebacker Arthur Moats." For Kirwan's sake, I hope he's right.

It cracks me up when people say we had a really good pass defense. Our run defense was 30th in the league, nobody had to pass! I suspect Kirwan was looking for something good to say.

Muggins, please pay attention to this so you don't repeat your incorrect opinion:

The Bills Pass Defense ranked:

1st in the NFL by a very wide margin in opponents passer rating (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

2nd in the NFL in interceptions (in spite of the fact that they faced FEWER passes than 19 other teams)

2nd in the NFL in average gain per pass play (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

3rd in the NFL in opponents completion percentage (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

The only other team which approached the Bills in pass defense was Darrelle Revis and the New York Jets who were outstanding against the run and thus were able to force opponents into obvious passing situations. In fact the Jets were the top ranked defense in the NFL last year in yards allowed.

Back to my main point, the Bills were outstanding against the pass and it had little or more likely, nothing to do with their weakness against the run.

Would you enjoy Football playing for Jauron knowing you will probably lose? If you know you are going to lose due to poor coaching you are just collecting a paycheck. Then it doesn't become fun at all.

I heard an interview yesterday with Trent. I swear it is the first time i have ever heard him say that the Offensive issues at the night practice were on him. He needs to make sure he throws good and gets everyone ready. It's the first time i heard him mention the word "I". I was somewhat impressed.

I concur. One of the biggest issues I had with Trynt last year, was that he never personally accepted the blame for his futile play. Yes the situation around him wasn't the greatest and could've been better, but he never held himself accountable. EVERYTHING was "we". "'We' need to make those throws, 'we' need to step up and help our defense out, 'we' need to make plays on offense. It's frustrating and I know that 'we' are capable of doing better." Yes Trynt, YOU are capable of performing better. The first step in becoming a better player and a leader is to accept blame for situations that you have the ability to control. Such as, making plays and delivering the ball to where it's supposed to go, when you have time to pass. Also, not throwing a 2 yd pass in consecutive games on 4th and 20 when a play, any play, needed to be made past the markers. Trynt was not born a leader, but he seems to be taking steps in securing a leadership role. It's a start..

Guest dog14787
Nothing causes a scribe to lose credibility faster than misidentifying a player's position. Everything we have read is that Moats is playing inside linebacker. Kirwan reports that "Another player making a name for himself is rookie outside linebacker Arthur Moats." For Kirwan's sake, I hope he's right.

Muggins, please pay attention to this so you don't repeat your incorrect opinion:

1st in the NFL by a very wide margin in opponents passer rating (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

2nd in the NFL in interceptions (in spite of the fact that they faced FEWER passes than 19 other teams)

2nd in the NFL in average gain per pass play (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

3rd in the NFL in opponents completion percentage (which has nothing to do with how often their opponents passed the ball)

The only other team which approached the Bills in pass defense was Darrelle Revis and the New York Jets who were outstanding against the run and thus were able to force opponents into obvious passing situations. In fact the Jets were the top ranked defense in the NFL last year in yards allowed.

Back to my main point, the Bills were outstanding against the pass and it had little or more likely, nothing to do with their weakness against the run.

Thanks San Jose, some impressive stats and when you look at them all together it gives a pretty good argument the Buffalo Bills do indeed have the best secondary in the National Football League. It makes you wonder what any kind of pass rush at all would do for our defense.

If we can stop the run, the Bills could/would have a Championship caliber Defense in my opinion.

Great info. I guess it means that they were first in INTs measured on a per pass basis.

That's one of the best, most honest assessments of this team I've read. I like how he acknowledged that the Bills are not completely lacking in talent and have a decent defense to build off of. Everything else in the national press seems to be "BuffaLOL... At least they'll get a good draft pick LOLOLOL!!1!"

For god's sake, we're not the Lions. There's some talent on this team. We just need to figure a few things out, and we're not far from putting it all together.

This is correct. Football Outsiders also adjusts for attempts with per play efficiency stats - they ranked the Bills pass defense 3rd behind the Jets and Carolina.

Its good news that Jackson is producing as a wideout. I think one of the biggest holes on the Bills is the loss of the teams leading receiver in terms of catches and yards. Say what you want to about TO but the Bills simply will need to have another target besides Evans or other teams will simply just dt Evans and force us to run.

I am really frightened that rather than demanding that the ball be thrown his way through production, Jackson actually saw his stats go backwards last year.

We not only need adequacy but we need a threat opposite Evans or our O is cooked.

Nah, there is a direct correlation. Bills opponents knew the run defense was terrible, so they would game plan to run all the time and focus less on passing. Of course when you're focused less on passing the passing game won't be as great. Of course when you're running the ball for 4.7 ypc you don't have to pass as far (leading to less gain per pass play).

Hell, of those 28 picks we had 5 in a game vs Sanchez and 3 in a game vs washed up Delhomme. How many pass interference calls did we have last year too? I remember two in the Pats* game in Buffalo that setup two TDs.

edit: not to mention that we were barely decent in pass rush last year and we'll be a lot worse this year.

Superb breakdown from my fellow Cali Bills fan. Now, if that pass D does at least as well this season (actually, it should be better) and if the run defense improves to at least a reasonable level (gotta feelin' it's going to be even better than that), then look out.