My 10 year old is starting FB & MLB.

PIZ

Not a lot of passing in a 10 year old team....but we ran a wing T and I would pull guard and run the other way all the time......

It actually would be quite comical from the sideline.....so much "wheres the ball...wheres the ball"

hahaha, yes! the little tricks and trick plays. we used to love them as players, but i think the coaches got even more enjoyment watching the kids run around like little dummies.

If I can add another piece of advice as both a parent and a coach?

- Take your kid out for pizza after the games no matter how he did....and dont yell at him or the coaches from the sidelines. At that level you are trying to teach them fundamentals, having fun, and see if they want to do it the next year.

I coached for 3 years....had a son that went all the way through the age level, then through high school, and now is on to college and a few things I learned along the way......

- Whatever your kid is doing right now as far as position....that could totally change if he sticks with it. My son started out as a center and DT.....then the next year played corner and fullback....then started getting a little more serious about it....shedded weight and got faster.....then started playing RB, FB, TE, LB, and safety........by the time he was in HS he had settled into LB and FB/TE spots.......the kids will mature year to year so do pigeon hole him

- Dont scream at the coaches who are basically parents working with the kids....now I WILL say this. Be watchful of favoritism that goes on with parents/positions.....some of us just like to work with the kids (I coached JAAF kids that I now know as young men and its a great feeling to know them through the years and be a part of their lives) but not all have that same agenda.

PIZ, I have a 10 year old grandson in Peewee (ages 10-13) and I coach (assistant) and I love it! With Taylor, I am fairly sure that he doesn't love it yet and still doesn't LIKE the contact. One thing that coaches are teaching their MLB's now is to key the triangle or, if you will, the guards and the running back. If he can read the play by focusing on these three players INITIALLY, he probably will be guided right to the point of attack and get himself in the play. Hope that helps some!! As advised, enjoy every moment, they are fleeting!!

Like said above Gloves are personal preference...i used to wear them all the time but then i found i was depending on gloves to cathc the ball make the tackle ect. But once i switched to just my hands i became a better and more confident palyer but that was just me

Most of all its about fun. The memories i have from football are never the lessons on the field or any coaching i had, it was the expierence of sweating and bleeding and fighting for and with my teammates...Thats what i miss most... Thats what is important...especailly at that age

Had our first scrimmage and it was awesome. He ran one time on offense (I think they are saving him for the game) and went about 10 yards. On defense he played MLB, and made some mistakes. He is not used to tackling guys in the open field -I'm not sure what to tell him, other than don't overpursue (control his speed) and don't dive (he has a tendency to dive). He did have one monster hit on a kid on the sideline that sent the kid flying. My son is a big hitter, but like I said, he hasn't been real good at tackling kids where he has to run to them (last year he played DT). In practice they won't let him tackle kids other than lineman, because he hurts kids his size or smaller every time he tackles them, so he doesn't get much practice at going after RBs. I think he is getting frustrated he misses guys in the open field, so is my advice to him on controlling his speed and not diving good advice?

By the way, I didn't see the guards pulling in this scrimmage, but the center was out to block him on every play, and this kid was pretty intimidating. Shouldn't the DT be occupying the center?

Thanks for all the info.

Had our first scrimmage and it was awesome. He ran one time on offense (I think they are saving him for the game) and went about 10 yards. On defense he played MLB, and made some mistakes. He is not used to tackling guys in the open field -I'm not sure what to tell him, other than don't overpursue (control his speed) and don't dive (he has a tendency to dive). He did have one monster hit on a kid on the sideline that sent the kid flying. My son is a big hitter, but like I said, he hasn't been real good at tackling kids where he has to run to them (last year he played DT). In practice they won't let him tackle kids other than lineman, because he hurts kids his size or smaller every time he tackles them, so he doesn't get much practice at going after RBs. I think he is getting frustrated he misses guys in the open field, so is my advice to him on controlling his speed and not diving good advice?

By the way, I didn't see the guards pulling in this scrimmage, but the center was out to block him on every play, and this kid was pretty intimidating. Shouldn't the DT be occupying the center?

Thanks for all the info.

If he's diving when he's tackling, teach him to move with his feet first. Its a natural reaction to move your upper body first, to lunge. But if you can get it into his head to move his feet first, (nicely of course), it might cut down on the diving. Its mental, the first thought in his head should be..."move my feet towards the ball". You can do this in the back yard, have him run sideways, and just say "feet first" when he begins to run, or something similar to that...whatever works.

I did this with my son when he was that age, when I was teaching him to catch. After reminding him a few times, it finally sunk in. I threw the ball to the side, watched his feet take 2 steps, ball hit him in the chest. One of those proud parental moments when I saw the look of accomplishment on his face. He'll get the hang of it eventually

Whatever position he's playing, teach him to bend his knees, stay low. Probably one of the hardest things a kid that age has to learn. It isn't a natural human movement to move while crouching, not in the post neanderthal world, at least.

Have fun!

I would also encourage your son to watch Owen Marecic, Stanford’s starting FB and MLB. He plays the game correctly and always looks like he’s having fun (he’s my favorite player in CFB).

Owen is also a great kid by all accounts and is pre-med (3.98 gpa last semester). I’m always searching for positive role models for my little guys and Marecic fits the bill.

since ive coached youth football i throw my 2 cents in :P

use 2 hands on the ball in the " buffalo-area" ^^

to us that was up to LB-depth. once this area is cleared switch to outside hand and push off these tiny little DBs. if a DB is met headon its again 2-hands.

and really any mouthpiece will do

Thanks for all the info.

Dont feel bad my son was the same way as a linebacker when he first started out.....he was a thumper but if the ball carrier managed to stay on his feet he was in trouble because after that he was in trouble.......

Its all in the training of the technique......when I taught my son to tackle (this was REALLY YOUNG) I would get a kick out of showing him shows on TV on how a spider goes after its pray......or an octopus......when tackling you dont focus on the head or the feet of a ball carrier you focus right on the center of their body and "break them down" a nifty runner can juke his fed and his feet but the waist ain goin NOWHERE......then you hit....wrap...squeeze.

Oklahomas....lots of them

I'd recommend rib pads to protect against hits from the side. for some reason they are not standard football equipment, but were very helpful when i played. You can actually buy lacrosse rib pads (esp. when the players are only 10 as the hitting is not as severs) as they are less bulky than the football pads generally worn by QB's.

in regards to playing defense, make sure he keeps is head up and see what he hits. Facemask on the ball, across the body. Square up to the ball carrier if he is having trouble in the open field.

On offense have him attack the shoulders of the tacklers, and not let them get square hits on him

most importantly... he's 10, have fun!!!!