WGR 550

i totally disagree regarding the fact you feel that they no longer "suck up to the sabres". go to their website. i realize their fan polls are assinine, but the mere fact that they have them lends itself to a critique of them. the sabres do nothing in the off-season, for the most part on yearly basis, constantly do salary dumps, directly stick it to the fans with their smugness and the GR FAN POLL TODAY: "do you like brett favre?" huh? how about " do you think the sabres are vindictive? anyone of us could fill in the obvious questions that go begging about the sabres mgmt style. but the bills???, they are all over them in a "back door" critical analysis constantly with poll questions. not sure if i am making myself clear, but i maintain GR has a pro- sabre agenda. any criticism of them is done to appear "fair and balanced" and is totally transparent.

Not to me you're not.......I have no idea what their web polls are from day to day. So, they have one on Favre today and not one on the Sabres being cheap? Huh?............I just went to their site to see, and they have three big stories up. All three are about the Bills.........And, the lead one is article written by the much maligned Mike Schoop praising the new Bills brass - saying he really likes what Nix and Gailey are doing so far.

If you listen, they blast the Sabres all the time. Every time they deserve to be blasted.........Like I said, about 3-4 years ago, they never said a negative word about them.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to me you're not.......I have no idea what their web polls are from day to day. So, they have one on Favre today and not one on the Sabres being cheap? Huh?............I just went to their site to see, and they have three big stories up. All three are about the Bills.........And, the lead one is article written by the much maligned Mike Schoop praising the new Bills brass - saying he really likes what Nix and Gailey are doing so far.

If you listen, they blast the Sabres all the time. Every time they deserve to be blasted.........Like I said, about 3-4 years ago, they never said a negative word about them.

i would submit that their "criticism" of the sabres is very well thought out before hand and discussed what is "off limits". do you remember "HOLLYWOOD SQUARES", the stars, were briefed before hand. i am sure the GR program director discusses that with the staff. "dont be too critical of quinn", "leave golisano out of it", they then put forth a generic criticism of the sabres to satisfy people that they are indeed, critical of the sabres! i tried calling numerous times to schopp, the call screener would never put me thru because i was going to hold quinn and golisano 's feet to the fire. it is a fact!

why?

my wife and i are having dinner with him Saturday night, so please forward the reasons behind why you think so and i'll see if i can't straighten him out for you.

jw

I'm sure Jerry is a great guy, but to those of us who read his columns and listen to him on WGR he's a miserable, cynical douche. In fact I have deliberately stopped reading his columns because his negativity is just endless. I know there hasn't been much happy news around Buffalo sports teams over the years but, you know, normal people can only take so much pissing and moaning. Besides, I think Jerry relishes his role as chief parade pisser.

PTR

Y'know...he can go off on tangents, non-sports, as well as anyone.

That's why I listen to him.........I used to like as much sports on the air as possible in the pre-internet days......Now, there is so much info and opinion, who can possibly want more........There's a reason why nobody does it - it's boring as hell.

I'm sure Jerry is a great guy, but to those of us who read his columns and listen to him on WGR he's a miserable, cynical douche. In fact I have deliberately stopped reading his columns because his negativity is just endless. I know there hasn't been much happy news around Buffalo sports teams over the years but, you know, normal people can only take so much pissing and moaning. Besides, I think Jerry relishes his role as chief parade pisser.

PTR

what's curious is that Jerry and I have generally had the same ideas as to what story-lines to pursue during the Bills season. he, however, has the leeway to write his opinion whereas i have to play it a little more straight.

here's the thing, there's plenty of people on this board who dispute the Bills way of operating. and yet when Jerry provides his thoughts, suddenly, he's regarded as "a hater."

hey, i'm not going to speak for him. but it would be interesting for someone to go back and see how many positive and negative pieces he's written about the Bills.

and let's remember, too, that the team has no provided much positive to write about of late.

i do understand your point of view, PTR. and you've explained yourself very well and with respect.

what i take exception to is someone who pretends to have had third-hand conversations with Aaron Schobel and reports them on this board and then refers to someone whom i respect as a "scumbag."

jw

My opinion is that Sullivan knows what his job is and does it well, but lacks integrity. Several times in the past he has noticeably been economical with the truth. Sullivan once quoted Schobel as saying he didnt want to talk to sully, because sully is a liar, and then printed it. That shows me he is more worries about a splash on the page than the truth.

My opinion is that Sullivan knows what his job is and does it well, but lacks integrity. Several times in the past he has noticeably been economical with the truth. Sullivan once quoted Schobel as saying he didnt want to talk to sully, because sully is a liar, and then printed it. That shows me he is more worries about a splash on the page than the truth.

so why did Aaron talk to Jerry if he didn't want to talk to him. and if Aaron did talk to Jerry, was he misquoted, thus making Jerry a liar? or are you against Jerry because he proved he wasn't a liar.

i don't get this ... somone did their job by quoting someone and is somehow faulted for it?

and did this happen before or after Aaron, while injured, sat between Jerry and I in the press box for a quarter of a game, during which we all had a pleasant chat?

you can see how your theories here are beginning to unravel, right?

jw

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/...rticle94288.ece

I think this is an honest reflection on Schobels time in Buffalo. I think Sully is a non sense kind of guy that is willing to ask the tough questions. It may come out a little harsh but not sure what he is like in real like. JW could tell us what he is like in real life, but I think it is hard for us to make an assessment on his character or integrity based on his columns.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/...rticle94288.ece

I think this is an honest reflection on Schobels time in Buffalo. I think Sully is a non sense kind of guy that is willing to ask the tough questions. It may come out a little harsh but not sure what he is like in real like. JW could tell us what he is like in real life, but I think it is hard for us to make an assessment on his character or integrity based on his columns.

having spent the past 9 days in rochester and seen the Buffalo News sporadically, i think this was a solid and bang on assessment of Aaron Schobel's nine seasons with the Bills.

i resubmit my earlier question as to why we have to resort to "scumbag," or was that someone simply flexing his/her intraweb muskles in the expedient shadow of anonymity?

jw

in fact, i'm getting the sense, Hossage, you really don't know Aaron at all.

so why did Aaron talk to Jerry if he didn't want to talk to him. and if Aaron did talk to Jerry, was he misquoted, thus making Jerry a liar? or are you against Jerry because he proved he wasn't a liar.

jw

I said what I wanted to. You can justify it any way you want. Its not like there is some angle I hadn't considered. I also understand you arent in a position to agree with me.

As for your baseless Schobel jibe, whatever, man. He doesnt like Sullivan either, and says so in the strongest terms.

This latest story seems unoffensive.

"scumbag" was my word.

I said what I wanted to. You can justify it any way you want. Its not like there is some angle I hadn't considered. I also understand you arent in a position to agree with me.

As for your baseless Schobel jibe, whatever, man.

baseless?

as for not being in a position to not agree with you ... um, either we've spent time speaking to the same person or not. so which is it? i've reported what i know.

ok, answer this: if in fact in this alleged diatribe Aaron gave you, did he really call out Chris Kelsay?

jw

I meant you are not in a position as a journalist to say bad things about Sullivan.

I understand Schobel and Kelsay are friends. When talking about the effectiveness of players, described Kelsay/Denney with rolled eyes and a half retarded voice. It was accompanied with a slight masturbation gesture. He was frustrated that day. You have asked me to answer you that as if it would show that I don't know what I am talking about. You won't get far with that.

John, you are being childish attempting to say that anyone who quotes Aaron is a scumbag. I said Sullivan is a liar and he is a shameless provocateur. You may not agree, but that has nothing to do with me.

As for your drinking comment, a beer isnt going to hurt anyone.

You might not agree with me, and you might not like me. That is ok. I think you are trying very hard to say something bad about me, which I find less ok.