(OT) good cheap red wine

ch19079

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill

by far the best quote ive seen on here.

I tip my wine glass to you good sir, i just hope i can find a good wine to put in it first.  :devil:

144827[/snapback]

I try my best. :D

Without question the Montepulciano from Citra is the best bottle of red table wine readily available.

It's an Italian - full bodied, fruity but dry.

Sells for around $4 or $5 per 750ml bottle.

Tremendous value in a red. You can buy better wine for a lot more, but nothing else is this tasty and cheap - especially the Montepulcianos. I've never met anyone who likes red wines that doesn't like Citra.

Domaine St. Michele makes the best domestic champaigne style (Brut) for <$10.

Red Zin kicks ass!  That is the best choice with a steak!

144680[/snapback]

Pete, I dig ya man, but white zin is a girl's drink. May as well drink it while you have a string hanging from between your legs. :w00t:

Someone mentioned Charles Shaw's Cab, which is referred to as "Two buck chuck." It's $1.99 a bottle, but if you're a wine drinker in the sense that you have a glass of of red every night when you get home, it's pretty damn good. Every time I'm at Trader Joe's, people are in line with two and three cases of it.

Pete, I dig ya man, but white zin is a girl's drink. May as well drink it while you have a string hanging from between your legs.  :w00t:

Someone mentioned Charles Shaw's Cab, which is referred to as "Two buck chuck." It's $1.99  a bottle, but if you're a wine drinker in the sense that you have a glass of of red every night when you get home, it's pretty damn good. Every time I'm at Trader Joe's, people are in line with two and three cases of it.

145145[/snapback]

Red Zin my man, not White. Huge difference!

ok, to recap what ive narrowed my list down to:

----------------------------

Chateau St. Jean

sonoma valley

pinot noir Merlots

---------------------------

Montepulciano from citra

Italian

Ravenswood

Red Zinfandel

Asti No. 8

Merlot

anyone think one of these is a bad idea????? im listening....

also friends i talk to (who also know very little about wine) say to get a "port" cus they have more alcohol. what do yall think of those??

Chateau St. Jean

sonoma valley

pinot noir  Merlots

Montepulciano from citra

Italian

Ravenswood

Red Zinfandel

Asti No. 8

Merlot

also friends i talk to (who also know very little about wine) say to get a "port"  cus they have more alcohol. what do yall think of those??

145193[/snapback]

Ports are dessert wines. They are very sweet and stronger. You dont want one of those with dinner but hose are delish after. Add Rabbit Ridge Syrah to you list. Syrahs are awesome and very versatile. They even go with turkey-thats what we have on Thanksgiving

Chateau St. Jean

sonoma valley

pinot noir  Merlots

Montepulciano from citra

Italian

Ravenswood

Red Zinfandel

Asti No. 8

Merlot

also friends i talk to (who also know very little about wine) say to get a "port"  cus they have more alcohol. what do yall think of those??

145193[/snapback]

Ports are for desserts and sipping before/after dinner with cheese. They tend to be very sweet. Port is real good with some cheesecake, flane (sp???), any of your heavier sweet desserts.

Stick with a red for the steak. I said the Pinot Noir as a lot of women cannot handle the peppery Red Zinf's or Merlot. Cab's are varied some more bold than other. The Pinot Noir tends to be a little mellower and therefore should be good enough for a "man" with a steak and light enough for the woman.

Syrah's are good as well but like the Zinf's can be overly bold for some. Me I like them all, just trying to steer you to something that everyone won't be disappointed in.

Ports are for desserts and sipping before/after dinner with cheese.  They tend to be very sweet.  Port is real good with some cheesecake, flane (sp???), any of your heavier sweet desserts. 

Stick with a red for the steak.  I said the Pinot Noir as a lot of women cannot handle the peppery Red Zinf's or Merlot.  Cab's are varied some more bold than other.  The Pinot Noir tends to be a little mellower and therefore should be good enough for a "man" with a steak and light enough for the woman.

145212[/snapback]

Flane? You mean flan?

Flane?  You mean flan?

145213[/snapback]

I put the !@#$ing sp??? after because I wasn;t sure. Besides I don't care for the stuff. Pisses the wife off too because she makes it and I won't eat it. Ever party we have she makes it. BTW, all the trifle was gone. :w00t:

Chateau St. Jean

sonoma valley

pinot noir  Merlots

Montepulciano from citra

Italian

Ravenswood

Red Zinfandel

Asti No. 8

Merlot

145193[/snapback]

I would recommend getting a 2001 California red zinfandel or cabernet. Focus on the year, and not the brand, and you'll be better off.

For California red wine, 2001 was the best year in the last 25 for Cabernets. I personally love Benziger's 2001 Cabernet at $13-14. The vast majority of 2001 Cabernets should be eminently drinkable (especially with a steak).

I also think Rancho Zabaco's Dancing Bull Red Zinfandel 2001 ($9) is great for the price (but 2002 is not so good).

For California red wine, the rule of thumb between 1995 and 2001 is that odd years are good and even years are poor. 2002 has good early returns though so that finally may be changing.

I put the !@#$ing sp???  after because I wasn;t sure.  Besides I don't care for the stuff.  Pisses the wife off too because she makes it and I won't eat it.  Ever party we have she makes it.  BTW, all the trifle was gone.  :w00t:

145217[/snapback]

I just didn't know if it was some kind of fru fru dessert that I'd never heard of. I do live in Alaska, you know.

For California red wine, the rule of thumb between 1995 and 2001 is that odd years are good and even years are poor. 2002 has good early returns though so that finally may be changing.

145229[/snapback]

Good tip!