Sabres waive Tim Kennedy - great PR move!

bbb

I still think Kennedy will be a Sabres next season, no one will pick him up that kind of contract for a 30'ish point player. He has to clear waivers for the arbitration ruling to be void and then they will work to sign him. But this is the reason you don't let anyone go to arbitration, it's a joke. Chicago just cut their Stanley Cup winning goalie because of it...

I don't see a scenario where he's in Buffalo next year. I just fail to see how the Sabres offer of $800K was fair and workable, but the arbitrator's ruling of $1M is too expensive. It makes zero sense, and even less sense to waste $333K to buy him out.

I am trying not to cry over the loss of a 3rd line center, or cry about the mishandling of a local kid. But it's a mismanaged situation from the start and makes the front office look foolish. And because it's a Buffalo kid, the publicity is extra bad. If it's a cost-cutting measure, there is more expensive dead weight on that roster that should be gone long before Kennedy.

Someone will pick up Kennedy, a young two-way forward with some grit and potential. Leafs GM Brian Burke thought enough of him to put him on the USA roster for the world championships.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Exiled in Illinois...When an independent audit tells me the Blackhawks lost money last season, I will believe it. When their executive accountant and team president tell me they lost money, I will assume it's the same money that my business "lost" last year. :thumbsup: There's very legal ways to report/distort/declare income, especially in a venture that large.

You think that is going to happen (independent audit)?

Anyway... BFLO still gotta do what they have to do to make money, not lose it. Sure it was 200k... But nickel and dime 200k away here and there and team like BFLO can be in a problem.

I would surely like to see them win a Cup... But not the shameful way Chicago did... Half their team is gone and they still claim (I know what you said and do agree) they are in the red! :beer:

I still think Kennedy will be a Sabres next season, no one will pick him up that kind of contract for a 30'ish point player. He has to clear waivers for the arbitration ruling to be void and then they will work to sign him. But this is the reason you don't let anyone go to arbitration, it's a joke. Chicago just cut their Stanley Cup winning goalie because of it...

We really learned our lesson in the whole DB... JP Dumont arbitration fiassco! :thumbsup:

You think that is going to happen (independent audit)?

Anyway... BFLO still gotta do what they have to do to make money, not lose it. Sure it was 200k... But nickel and dime 200k away here and there and team like BFLO can be in a problem.

I would surely like to see them win a Cup... But not the shameful way Chicago did... Half their team is gone and they still claim (I know what you said and do agree) they are in the red! :thumbsup:

It's shameful to win a title by grooming draft picks and bringing in veteran free agents, spending every cent the league will allow, and then playing hard every night in order to bring your fans the ultimate joy? Don't you think the Cubs would take one of those "shameful" championships in Chicago???

And you think the Blackhawks DIDN'T turn a profit, because the OWNER said so in a press release announcing ticket price increases??? I'm not judging your knowledge of worldly affairs and corporate accounting, but you appear to be very naive in this instance.

As for the $200K here, nickel and dime there...It makes sense for the Sabres to buy out a contract at $333K and get zero R.O.I.???

What world do you live in man?

It's shameful to win a title by grooming draft picks and bringing in veteran free agents, spending every cent the league will allow, and then playing hard every night in order to bring your fans the ultimate joy? Don't you think the Cubs would take one of those "shameful" championships in Chicago???

And you think the Blackhawks DIDN'T turn a profit, because the OWNER said so in a press release announcing ticket price increases??? I'm not judging your knowledge of worldly affairs and corporate accounting, but you appear to be very naive in this instance.

As for the $200K here, nickel and dime there...It makes sense for the Sabres to buy out a contract at $333K and get zero R.O.I.???

What world do you live in man?

No... I think you misunderstood what I said.. It is shameful that they did all that and still have to cry poor mouth.

No... I think you misunderstood what I said.. It is shameful that they did all that and still have to cry poor mouth.

Yes OK I misunderstood. The Cup was not shameful at all.

It is a bit of a fleecing to cry poverty and gouge ticket prices for the hot item in town. But that's the way it goes. Everyone in the league, players and owners included, are grabbing every last dime they can. It's sports entertainment business.

As fans, we really do control our own fate, and have the ultimate hammer, should we decide to unite and not purchase tickets as the prices continue to rise. But we just don't have that type of self-control. We enjoy the games and want to be a part of them. If the NY Giants fans and corporate ticket holders decided that they would never pay for one seat license, and held fast and united together, the seat license fees would've been gone in 10 seconds. But people paid, and the Giants gladly accept their checks.

It's the same for uniform changes and 3rd jerseys. The teams don't need new uniforms (ok, the Sabres definitely do.) They put them out there to increase merchandise sales, and it works. But that's ultimately the choice of the fans also.

Yes OK I misunderstood. The Cup was not shameful at all.

It is a bit of a fleecing to cry poverty and gouge ticket prices for the hot item in town. But that's the way it goes. Everyone in the league, players and owners included, are grabbing every last dime they can. It's sports entertainment business.

As fans, we really do control our own fate, and have the ultimate hammer, should we decide to unite and not purchase tickets as the prices continue to rise. But we just don't have that type of self-control. We enjoy the games and want to be a part of them. If the NY Giants fans and corporate ticket holders decided that they would never pay for one seat license, and held fast and united together, the seat license fees would've been gone in 10 seconds. But people paid, and the Giants gladly accept their checks.

It's the same for uniform changes and 3rd jerseys. The teams don't need new uniforms (ok, the Sabres definitely do.) They put them out there to increase merchandise sales, and it works. But that's ultimately the choice of the fans also.

I totally agree... The Cup wasn't shameful... Shameful how they are fleecing the fans... Old-Man Wirtz really doesn't look that bad... Those core players (1/2 the team is gone) don't win... It will get ugly again fast for CHI town hockey!

At Darcy's press conference today, he referred to the team having a greater need at another position and being over budget. Does this mean we will not spend to the cap? We have, I think, about $8 million left.

Sounded like the Sabres now have an internal salary cap...good times.

At Darcy's press conference today, he referred to the team having a greater need at another position and being over budget. Does this mean we will not spend to the cap? We have, I think, about $8 million left.

As of yesterday we had $9.4 million in cap space. After buying out Kennedy, we should still have over 9 million left over.

Although, who's left on the market?

As of yesterday we had $9.4 million in cap space. After buying out Kennedy, we should still have over 9 million left over.

Truth be told, I'd give the NYR a bag of pucks for Drury. And they would take it too.

Yes, he's overpaid, but he would immediately make our team MUCH better. And he's only signed for 2 years. Better than signing or trading for some overpaid idiot who can't play. At least we know Drury would bring it.

Sounded like the Sabres now have an internal salary cap...good times.

And that is the problem I have with the cap... The cap should be what the smallest team is willing to spend!

You should see them crying in Chicago... Blaming "the cap"... Ahhh... The poor 59.6 million dollar cap is too small for them! :thumbsup:

who's left that would come here? The Sabres' reputation for cheapness has only been enhanced with this fiasco.

Their franchise player and only chance at success can't be too happy at the way this went down for his fellow Michigan State alum. The organization better do some damage control quick. Miller is already 30...The clock is ticking...One All-World goalie has already forced his way out of this organization under the current regime's watch...

Their franchise player and only chance at success can't be too happy at the way this went down for his fellow Michigan State alum. The organization better do some damage control quick. Miller is already 30...The clock is ticking...One All-World goalie has already forced his way out of this organization under the current regime's watch...

Wasn't that under the previous ownership?

Is the Sabres org profitable? The what is the problem? :thumbsup: