Kelly's Memoirs - Your Opinion Please

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying the Jesus & the whole bible is fictitious. IMO, it's just been stories that have been passed on from generation from generation.

Hey, I know we are getting off topic and I don't want to use this board as an evangelism platform but I wanted to say I appreciate your honesty. All I am asking you to consider is this person that you call ficticious is the one that Jimbo gives credit to for making a very real change in his life. A change that his wife and others close to him can attest to. Jim is 50 something years old and was pretty set in his ways and behaviours. It takes something pretty real to enable/inspire/allow you to make a radical life change.

I've take it no one in your family was ever murdered? Once something like that happens, it completely changes your perspective on everything in life.

Murdered?..no. Loved ones die prematurely?...yes. My loss was great, but I don't blame God.

Hey, I know we are getting off topic and I don't want to use this board as an evangelism platform but I wanted to say I appreciate your honesty. All I am asking you to consider is this person that you call ficticious is the one that Jimbo gives credit to for making a very real change in his life. A change that his wife and others close to him can attest to. Jim is 50 something years old and was pretty set in his ways and behaviours. It takes something pretty real to enable/inspire/allow you to make a radical life change.

There are many things in life that can change people. Whether it's a simple phrase, words from someone, a good book, people can get inspiration from many things. This is also why people go to those in the self-help industry like Tony Robbins. Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of good ideas and concepts in the bible on how you should live your life and treat others, but I just don't believe in the story of the bible anymore, Jesus or anything else of any organized religion. For years, many believed there were gods on Mt. Olympus, but Socrates decided to look for himself and saw there was nothing on top of Mt. Olympus. When Socrates told people what he saw, no one believed him and was ultimately condemned to death.

I was raised Catholic and have certain beliefs but how can you say this with so much certainty?

Because 10 days before the Bills played the Redskins in the Super Bowl, God's Spirit entered into me. I could barely speak English for three days. It was not my imagination or a form of religious hysteria - it was a real event. This event in my life was so powerful (& still is), it erased all doubt. And the good news is, it's for you too!

Murdered?..no. Loved ones die prematurely?...yes. My loss was great, but I don't blame God.

My brother was murdered by his wife, then she killed herself, while their 3 year old daughter was in the next room. So where was Jesus that day? Taking a day off?

Bottom line there is no God and Devil. There is no God that makes you do good and a devil that makes you do bad. There have been more people killed in human history over religion. Look at the 9/11 attacks, the actual attackers believed they were doing God's work. Killing innocent people for God? Sorry, but the years of blind faith with me have been long gone.

My brother was murdered by his wife, then she killed herself, while their 3 year old daughter was in the next room. So where was Jesus that day? Taking a day off?

Bottom line there is no God and Devil. There is no God that makes you do good and a devil that makes you do bad. There have been more people killed in human history over religion. Look at the 9/11 attacks, the actual attackers believed they were doing God's work. Killing innocent people for God? Sorry, but the years of blind faith with me have been long gone.

Mike, I'm not gonna pretend I understand tragedy, or even make an attempt to explain it from God's perspective. But I do believe He's in charge of everything, and if it were possible for you to receive His explanation, I believe your bitterness would leave you.

Sorry about the tragedy man. That had to be a very painful situation. I hope the daughter is OK.

I know it's tough to go through something like that and then have anyone expect you to believe in God, but it's through these types of events that make him even more legitimate. And I don't mean just leaning on him as a crutch, I mean it actually makes common sense to believe in God through a tragedy and that the tragedy had to happen in order for God to exist. Man I would love to talk to you about this, would you be open to doing that maybe via email?

I will also tell you this. The theory that everything good comes from God and everything bad comes from the Devil is false. Good and bad both are allowed by God. He allows everything within the framework of our free will. The Devil is used as a pawn by God and an example of what not to be, but the Devil has no bearing on what happens. In short we were created in God's image, which was perfect and without flaw. He loved us so much that he began to get jealous for our affection because he knew the only reason we loved him back was because there wasn't an option not to. That's when the most powerfull thing in the world was created, CHOICE. He's spent every minute since trying to get us to love him back and we have done some crazy things with our choices, but he had to allow it to happen. If he never created the option not to love him, he would never know we did.

Link > http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article87364.ece

I have always been of the mindset that people should keep the ups & downs of their marriage to themselves. My wife & I are celebrating 30 yrs this month. We have been faithful to each other, but like all other marriages, it has not been perfect. With that said, we are in love & would get married again tomorrow. No one knows the troubles we've had, & that's the way we intend to keep it. Why do the Kelly's feel the need to put their dirty laundry on display? It troubles me that this guy we enjoyed watching lead our beloved Bills had serious character issues. Am I wrong here? I spose nobody would read their book if it was soley about Krabbe's Disease or spiritual conversion.

Jim Kelly did it exactly right, be a self indulgent pr!ck when you're young and strong then come to Jesus when your old and worn out.

I was raised Catholic and have certain beliefs but how can you say this with so much certainty?

Well it's really not such a crazy thought to be so certain about God. You can't prove spiritual things. It's kind of like me asking you to prove you love someone. You can't prove love, you can say well I do things that show I love someone, but I can debate you all day, because you can't prove you love someone. I can't prove that God loves me, but I can tell you that I've had real spiritual experiences that no one can take from me.

Most people haven't been to Africa, but they believe there are lions there. Why? It's because someone else has seen them there and told you they are there and they show you pictures, etc. But when a Christian tells someone they found God, it's so incredible that they must be nuts. Why? There are millions of us telling you he's real.

The scenario I am going to give happened 17 years ago; prior to Jim Kelly being married. From this event I did form an opinion about him but I will never know what exactly happened. My girlfriend at the time who modeled (blonde/23 years old) and was a former runner up for Ms. teen New York was invited with her friends to go on a dinner cruise. It just so happened that several of the Bills players were on the cruise as well. At the end of the night her friends looked all over for her but she could not be found. Her and I lived together and she never did make it home that night. Her story was that she woke up in a strange bed and has no idea how she got there. She said that the only thing she remembers is that she had a couple of drinks at the bar with Jim Kelly. When she came home the next day she was sick, very dizzy, and not herself "all day". My guess although this is just speculation is that she was slipped the date rape drug. I remember telling my dad I wanted to drive over to Kelly's house and give him a piece of my mind but my dad laughed and said I would be arrested before I even made it to his door. I was young and took the wisdom from my father to stay home and just vent...

Its outstanding. It shows Jim was human as well as hands down the greatest Bill of all time. Before Jim the team sucked, after him it has sucked. Till we get another QB like him, it will suck.

I have no problem with her putting out her book. It shows the problems families can go through and come out better on the other end.

Jim Kelly wasn't even close to being the best Buffalo Bill ever- the guy couldn't read defenses. Sub Marino or Elway for him and we win a few Superbowls. Esiason was better than him.

I love Kelly and respect everything he did for the Bills, but let's not pretend he was a great human being. If there was more media around, I'm sure there would be a lot of the Big Ben type stories floating around him (if not worse). I admire what he did for Hunter but it's gotta be a great life to jsut do whatever you want and finally decided to grow up when approach 50.

Either way, Jill Kelly seems like an unbelievable wife.

Jim Kelly wasn't even close to being the best Buffalo Bill ever- the guy couldn't read defenses. Sub Marino or Elway for him and we win a few Superbowls. Esiason was better than him.

Exactly. Kelly was very good in his own right but he was a terrible playoff QB and nearly destroyed the 90s Bills by calling out teammates. Those Bills teams were loaded. That why Frank Reich would come in and the offense won't miss a beat.

Best Bills QB ever but severely overrated by Bills fans.

I felt terrible for your loss and can't imagine how painful that must be. But if people want to believe in a god, it's not your job to tell them they are wrong. People need to jsut respect others' beliefs even if they don't agree with them.

But if people want to believe in a god, it's not your job to tell them they are wrong.

If people don't want to believe in a god, why is it then acceptable for Christians to tell them they're wrong?