Kelly's Memoirs - Your Opinion Please

The memoir, or at least the excerpt, doesn't shock, surprise, or disappoint me. It doesn't contain anything I couldn't have imagined. And, I still like Jim Kelly. His wife, apparently, still does too. I have known many people over the years that have dealt with Kelly in different capacities (as well as other Bills players) and most are described as juvenile, particularly Jim. And that makes sense, to a degree. These guys get to live an extended childhood, as pro athletes. By all accounts, and I think you can sort of tell it, if you have watched or listened to JK's radio and tv appearances in more recent years, life (and Jill's mother :devil: ) caught up to him, and he matured, a lot, it seems to me. So, in the end...that's life! And, I think he is sincere.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same sanctimonious guy that was wailing on Michael Vick for being a scumbag, mostly because he didnt sign with him as a rookie coming into the league, but all the while was misusing and abusing his wife.

Go figure!

For the sake of his wife and family I truly hope he has found the Lord because therein lies true salvation

LMAO it amazes me the incorrect take fans had on Kelly. If not for Kelly this team continued to suck till this day, no 4 superbowls. He was THE single most reason this team ever did ****.

Look at the record before Kelly, look at the record after Kelly.

Just a GOOD QB? Only Bills fans can be so dumb as to think their greatest player ever was just 'good'

The greatest player in your opinion. He had plenty of help. They had good squads in the 60's and the early 80's as well. During Kelly's time he had benefit of the best assortment of talent the team ever had at one time. No Andre Reed, No Thurman, No Lofton, No Bruce, No Biscuit, No Odomes, No Talley, No Tasker, No Hull, Ballard, Wolford, Ritcher, Davis, Parker, Metzelaars, McKeller, Christie, Norwood, Marv Levy and many others, no Super Bowls. It wasn't all Jim and it never is just one player. It's a team game. Kelly was great, but he wasn't the only reason they went to Super Bowls.

Bradshaw was great too, but how great without two Hall of Fame receivers, a Hall of Fame RB, Hall of Fame Center and that defense? Not to mention Chuck Knoll.

Link > http://www.buffalonews.com/city/article87364.ece

I have always been of the mindset that people should keep the ups & downs of their marriage to themselves. My wife & I are celebrating 30 yrs this month. We have been faithful to each other, but like all other marriages, it has not been perfect. With that said, we are in love & would get married again tomorrow. No one knows the troubles we've had, & that's the way we intend to keep it. Why do the Kelly's feel the need to put their dirty laundry on display? It troubles me that this guy we enjoyed watching lead our beloved Bills had serious character issues. Am I wrong here? I spose nobody would read their book if it was soley about Krabbe's Disease or spiritual conversion.

No, you are not wrong here. I agree 100% with your point about leaving the ups and downs of marriage private. But Jill has been a Born Again Christian for years, and now Jimbo has joined her more recently. I am a proud Christian, don't get me wrong, I love Jesus as much as anyone else says they do. But the biggest thing I've noticed about Christians that leave their conventional church (such as Catholic) to become born again, is that they absolutely love to tell the world how terrible they were before they found the Lord. I suppose they think they need to "cleanse themselves" of all their "bad behavior" to anyone that will listen.

..."Jim writes in the book that his wayward activities with other women almost killed his marriage -- and that only his confession and rebirth in Jesus Christ saved him." I love the part about him being reborn in Jesus Christ. But I've never been fond of Christians telling the world how terrible they were before. To me, it should simply be kept between Kelly and Jesus, and the rest of us really didn't need to know any of it. It's not like finding out he cheated on Jill would shock us us, anyway! :lol:

No, you are not wrong here. I agree 100% with your point about leaving the ups and downs of marriage private. But Jill has been a Born Again Christian for years, and now Jimbo has joined her more recently. I am a proud Christian, don't get me wrong, I love Jesus as much as anyone else says they do. But the biggest thing I've noticed about Christians that leave their conventional church (such as Catholic) to become born again, is that they absolutely love to tell the world how terrible they were before they found the Lord. I suppose they think they need to "cleanse themselves" of all their "bad behavior" to anyone that will listen.

..."Jim writes in the book that his wayward activities with other women almost killed his marriage -- and that only his confession and rebirth in Jesus Christ saved him." I love the part about him being reborn in Jesus Christ. But I've never been fond of Christians telling the world how terrible they were before. To me, it should simply be kept between Kelly and Jesus, and the rest of us really didn't need to know any of it. It's not like finding out he cheated on Jill would shock us us, anyway! :lol:

I understand your point but I have to disagree. The Bible is full of testimonies of what Mankind went and is going through. Giving your personal testimony is not only a part of your personal process (James 5:16), but if it can help just one person it should be shared.

...Bradshaw was great too, but how great without two Hall of Fame receivers...

Yeah right. Gotta love those two "Hall of Fame" receivers...Swann and Stallworth: Here are their career stats:

Stallworth: 537 receptions for 8,723 yards and 63 TDs

Swann: 336 receptions for 5,462 yards and 51 TDs.

Combined: 873 receptions for 14,185 yards and 114 TDs.

Here's Andre Reeds' stats, the former Bills' wider receiver who isn't "good enough" yet to qualify for the Hall of Fame:

Reed: 952 receptions for 13,198 yards and 87 TDs.

You don't suppose the Hall of Fame voters were biased towards Swann and Stallworth because their Steelers' teams went 4-0 in the Super Bowl, and against Reed because his Bills went 0-4 in the Super Bowl, huh? :):lol:

What absolute hypocritical crap. The HOF voters claim the only thing that matters to them is the individual players' entire career. In reality, it seems playoff and SB performance means way more then individual yearly regular season performance. First Irvin got in with less catches and yards then Reed, and then Stallworth got voted in with barely more half the numbers Reed put up, both after Reed was eligible and before he has gotten his call.

Andre Reed will make the HOF, his numbers demand it. But what kind of message are the voters sending to the fans when they make him wait longer then other WR'ers that finished their careers with less receiving stats overall then he?? :lol:

Seems most people find God after getting caught doing something horrible. Where was his faith while he was cheating on his wife?

That is kinda the point isn't it. We talk about the Bills record before and after Kelly and the role Kelly played in the Bills glory days. It is easy to see Jim was a major factor in the Bills success of the 90's. Now look at Jim's personal record before and after Jesus. Before Jesus, a womanizer, unfaithful to his wife, denial about his secret behavior. I assume he felt guilt and shame. After Jesus, humble, forgiven, changed, committed, faithful and unburdened from guilt and shame. It is the transforming work of Jesus in the heart of Jim Kelly that brought this change.

I am more proud of Jim for being transparent about his life than I am of his performance on the field. What he did on the field was exciting for the day. His personal witness could affect somebodies life for eternity!

From article:

"A new memoir by Jill Kelly, with passages by her husband Jim, is scheduled for release next month. The forthright, wide-ranging book tentatively titled "Without a Word" draws back the curtain that has obscured the private lives of the Kellys during the 20-odd years they have held center stage in Buffalo's celebrity spotlight."

Anyone else read that at first and think it read "wide right". Just me? I have a problem moving on...

That is kinda the point isn't it. We talk about the Bills record before and after Kelly and the role Kelly played in the Bills glory days. It is easy to see Jim was a major factor in the Bills success of the 90's. Now look at Jim's personal record before and after Jesus. Before Jesus, a womanizer, unfaithful to his wife, denial about his secret behavior. I assume he felt guilt and shame. After Jesus, humble, forgiven, changed, committed, faithful and unburdened from guilt and shame. It is the transforming work of Jesus in the heart of Jim Kelly that brought this change.

I am more proud of Jim for being transparent about his life than I am of his performance on the field. What he did on the field was exciting for the day. His personal witness could affect somebodies life for eternity!

Jesus has transformed my life as well, & I am eternally grateful to Him for that, along with my salvation. Yet, I do not feel the need to inform people of the details of my wretchedness before that day I dropped to my knees. My past sins are between myself & God. I feel I can be a better witness to others by letting my light shine on who I am today, without shining a light on my dirty past. I just feel as if Kelly could have alluded to falling short as a human being before Jesus, minus the sordid details. Do people really need to know how he ripped Jill's heart out?

Jesus has transformed my life as well, & I am eternally grateful to Him for that, along with my salvation. Yet, I do not feel the need to inform people of the details of my wretchedness before that day I dropped to my knees. My past sins are between myself & God. I feel I can be a better witness to others by letting my light shine on who I am today, without shining a light on my dirty past. I just feel as if Kelly could have alluded to falling short as a human being before Jesus, minus the sordid details. Do people really need to know how he ripped Jill's heart out?

I hear what you are saying. I feel it doesn't have to be either or. You can be transparent about your past and what Jesus saved you from while being a witness through your transformed life in the present. I don't think Jim goes into sordid details other than there were acts of infidelity. There is a guy out there who is going to connect with Jim's (and Jill's) story because it was a little specific. A drug addict in the throes of his/her addiction is going to be reached by someone whom they feel they can relate to...who has been where they are. I think that is the power of transparency, it helps you connect with people who can relate specifically to your story and offers them hope.

I hear what you are saying. I feel it doesn't have to be either or. You can be transparent about your past and what Jesus saved you from while being a witness through your transformed life in the present. I don't think Jim goes into sordid details other than there were acts of infidelity. There is a guy out there who is going to connect with Jim's (and Jill's) story because it was a little specific. A drug addict in the throes of his/her addiction is going to be reached by someone whom they feel they can relate to...who has been where they are. I think that is the power of transparency, it helps you connect with people who can relate specifically to your story and offers them hope.

Good point...one in which I intend to ponder today. I think your point may have a greater impact when celebrities are involved.

It's just another case of a person that feels like he's screwed his life up so bad, that only believing in an fictious person is going to change him :thumbsup: This is a big reason why kids should not look up to sports athlete's as role models. Granted, Kelly was a great QB, but was also a womanizer and a ****ty husband. The only reason Kelly is putting this out there is to sell books.

It's just another case of a person that feels like he's screwed his life up so bad, that only believing in an fictious person is going to change him :thumbsup: This is a big reason why kids should not look up to sports athlete's as role models. Granted, Kelly was a great QB, but was also a womanizer and a ****ty husband. The only reason Kelly is putting this out there is to sell books.

Are you saying Jesus is fictitious?