SECOND day in a row, Haynesworth FAILS conditioning test

I seriously doubt that. Shanahan controls everything---especially in camp. Completely and absolutely.

I live in the Washington Metro area, Maryland. This is strictly a Shanahan maneuver. My minority view is that Shanahan is playing games with Haynesworth which in the long run will further alienate the player. The physical test which Haynesworth was subjected to was not applied to the other players. Needlessly provoking a recalcitrant player/person in the long run will result in him tuning him out even further.

I am not a Haynesworth fan. Signing this fool for the exotic contract the organization gave him was foolish. Now they are getting what they got. Instead of being antagonistic and challenging him it might be smarter to work with him and try to get some productivity from him.

Sometimes solving problems is smarter than creating bigger problems.

I live in the Washington Metro area, Maryland. This is strictly a Shanahan maneuver. My minority view is that Shanahan is playing games with Haynesworth which in the long run will further alienate the player. The physical test which Haynesworth was subjected to was not applied to the other players. Needlessly provoking a recalcitrant player/person in the long run will result in him tuning him out even further.

I am not a Haynesworth fan. Signing this fool for the exotic contract the organization gave him was foolish. Now they are getting what they got. Instead of being antagonistic and challenging him it might be smarter to work with him and try to get some productivity from him.

Sometimes solving problems is smarter than creating bigger problems.

Fat Albert's a child, not a man. This is how he needs to be dealt with. Anyway, this is Shanahan's style. He's not going to give head to this dog. HE'S not paying that salary..

yeah yeah....guys like Haynesworth will be mean and ready come game day. I think Shanahan is sending a very good message to him and to others that he expects a lot out of them and isn't putting up with slackers. Haynesworth will fall into line and probably be kicking butt as usual when the season opens.

Thats what I was thinking. It was funny to watch Hainesworth on the NFL Network failing his conditioning test and watching the look on his face. Shanahan will have the Skins ready for opening day (for a change).

Fat Albert's a child, not a man. This is how he needs to be dealt with. Anyway, this is Shanahan's style. He's not going to give head to this dog. HE'S not paying that salary..

Just got back from redskins camp this morning. Haynesworth is just in the weight room lifting with some other guy. Pretty embarassing with the rest of the team on the practice field all morning. Got London Fletcher's autograph and for second year in a row told him the bills made a big mistake letting him go. He replied "the bills have made a lot of mistakes" and mentioned "they should not have let Pat Williams go either". He stays late and signs autographs for everyone... classy guy..

The brunt of the salary has already been payed out. Getting a player to play is much better than getting less out of the player simply because the HC wants to demonstrate dominance over a fool.

It's very easy not to like an unlikeable person. The challenge is to get the most out of him. If Shanahan believes that screwing with him and humiliating him is going to make him a more productive player then he is mistaken.

The brunt of the salary has already been payed out. Getting a player to play is much better than getting less out of the player simply because the HC wants to demonstrate dominance over a fool.

It's very easy not to like an unlikeable person. The challenge is to get the most out of him. If Shanahan believes that screwing with him and humiliating him is going to make him a more productive player then he is mistaken.

John, they tried treating him like a man earlier and he refused to act like one. He has made it clear to all since that he has no plans on acting like one.

What's left except to shame him in front of his far more modestly paid teammates? They (and their scorn) will serve as his motivation---Shanny is just setting it up.

He's been unresponsive to reason: this is the only way. Shanahan's has dealt with his type before....

If Shanahan believes that screwing with him and humiliating him is going to make him a more productive player then he is mistaken.

They may or may not be mistaken. I don't think any of us know the outcome of this.

I don't particularly like this style of management/coaching and think if you have to resort to it, the guy isn't worth keeping...but that's me. I know I wouldn't respond well to this sort of treatment.

By "shuttle run, they mean that you run 50 yards, touch the ground, run back immediately, touch the ground, and so on, six times. We've heard several variations, that it was 6 x 50 yards and that it was 12 x 25 yards. A total of 300 yards anyway. It hasn't been released whether or not there is any required time he must reach or anything like that. Anyway, you finish that, get a five minute rest, and do it again.

It has no functional use for a guy playing Haynesworth's position. He's not going to be running more than about five yards on any play, and even that would be a bit unusual.

For a guy who weighs 350, this is an extremely difficult test. He might have been doing short sprints and training with weights like a demon and still fail this test. It won't mean anything unless he injures himself. I wonder if he might not at some point not mind failing. It would be a chance to relax a bit while the others are sweating in the sun. He'd be crazy, though, to show that.

I don't like either side in this little face-off.

This is an accurate assessment. Haynesworth is the only DL player to have to do this so already you have to say WTF.

Don't get me wrong Haynesworth needs to be in better condition based on last year.

Basically this is because Haynesworth missed OTA's. This tactic by Shanahan is just as BS as Haynesworth holding out and more transparent. Something I would expect from a high school coach who is trying to send a message. This type of thing only works with rookies not players that are probowlers and have won defensive POY awards. Could you imagine Wade doing this to Bruce? Lets walk through this one. Haynesworth doesn't pass conditioning test are the Redskins are going to bench him? Keep in mind Haynesworth has already collected 21 million. Is Shanahan willing to bench Haynesworth all season to claim victory in this sophomoric pissing match...no. Both sides should stop the BS and start getting serious.

Apparently Albert is the only person to have been timed for this. Everyone else did it as part of the offseason conditioning. So really, despite losing 35 pounds on his own and showing up in solid shape, he's being "humiliated"

Link

Meanwhile, some players have privately expressed concern that Coach Mike Shanahan is simply trying to make an example of Haynesworth because he skipped all but one day of Shanahan's first offseason program. One Redskins defensive player said few players are capable of passing the test only Haynesworth has been required to take because he failed to attend at least 50 percent of the Redskins' offseason workouts.

Other defensive linemen have said that while they ran the same drill as part of the offseason conditioning program, they weren't timed.

John, they tried treating him like a man earlier and he refused to act like one. He has made it clear to all since that he has no plans on acting like one.

What's left except to shame him in front of his far more modestly paid teammates? They (and their scorn) will serve as his motivation---Shanny is just setting it up.

He's been unresponsive to reason: this is the only way. Shanahan's has dealt with his type before....

Do you honestly believe that you can shame a shameless person? Do you think that this narcisstic fool cares what his teammates think? As you well stated he is not a real man. He is a punk. He is who he always was. What is so surprising about that?

There will probably be plenty of opportunities to challenge him during training camp and the season. Why go out of your way to needlessly cause a conflict when it can be avoided? The challenge for the HC is to get the most out of their mistake acquisition. In my view butting heads right from the start will more likely make Haynesworth more resistant to what the coaches want out of him than more receptive to what they want him to do.

In any team sport there are personality issues which make it impossible to treat everyone exactly the same. Certainly, Bruce Smith was handled differently than most of the other players. Sometimes the worst strategy for a HC to take when handling a prickly player is to muscle up against that type of player. Sometimes using a little finesse and tact to get the player to do what you want him to do is the best approach to take.

Shanahan has to realize that being tough isn't always being smart.

well, so far they found that treating him with respect and giving him what he wants doesnt work, so why not try a completely different approach?