Jacksonville sells naming rights to their stadium

The Bills do not own the naming rights to the stadium, if I recall correctly. I believe the County owns the rights. It was Erie County that decided to name the stadium Ralph Wilson, I believe.

This is the 3rd time I've posted this so everyone please take note:

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/stadium.phtml

The Bills own the naming rights to the stadium.

This is clearly stated in article 4.2 a-e of the lease.

"4.2 Naming of Stadium Complex. (a) The Bills shall have the exclusive right to name, or contract from time to time with any Person or Persons on such terms as the Bills may determine with respect to the naming of the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof…"

Again, the Bills (Ralph Wilson) own the naming rights.

The Bills (Ralph Wilson) have made the decision to not sell the naming rights.

In my earlier posts, I linked to revenues from naming rights at North American stadiums. While some of the deals are fairly lucrative, it looked at the time that the Bills would only be able to get about $1 million per year from selling the rights. The Jacksonville deal is a mild surprise, considering the indifference of their fans.

p.s.-This is the extension of the lease which occurred in 1998 when the Bills started 0-3 (and no tickets were selling), but ended up 10-6 after a 10-3 finish. During the winning streak, tickets suddenly started selling and the team's future in Buffalo was assured for another 15 years.

It should also be mentioned that Ralph's refusal to tap into this income stream is a source of irritation among some other NFL owners whose revenues help subsidize the Buffalo Bills.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich Stadium was pretty early. Busch Stadium in St. Louis…Wrigley Field in Chicago…are the earliest examples I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks. Do you know whether the county owns the naming rights to the staduim in OP?

It should also be mentioned that Ralph's refusal to tap into this income stream is a source of irritation among some other NFL owners whose revenues help subsidize the Buffalo Bills.

Yes, and Ralph was irritated when the owners voted-in a POS CBA.

Yes, and Ralph was irritated when the owners voted-in a POS CBA.

The revenue sharing formula is a piece of poop, but again, it's not really a part of the CBA.

The NFL for some reason has insisted on linkage of the two issues (the CBA vs Revenue Sharing), probably because they can tackle it all at the same time.

The CBA is the agreement with the players, basically a percentage of league revenues.

Revenue sharing is how the teams divide the money that's left after the players are paid their portion.

You can be assured that the players don't care how the teams split the money once they get their share.

And the league could adjust the revenue sharing formula independent of the CBA negotiations.

Many sports administration experts agree that there's no reason for the two issues to be linked. But the NFL links them.

The other thing is this. Ralph can play the victim. But if he and Mike Brown were more proactive, they could have established a committee which would include teams like New Orleans, Jacksonville, Green Bay, etc to fight for the rights of the smaller market/lower revenue teams.

They could still do so.

In life, you can be the victim, or you can do something about it. Ralph's a multi-millionaire. He can do something about it.

"4.2 Naming of Stadium Complex. (a) The Bills shall have the exclusive right to name, or contract from time to time with any Person or Persons on such terms as the Bills may determine with respect to the naming of the Stadium Complex or any portion thereof…"

In my earlier posts, I linked to revenues from naming rights at North American stadiums. While some of the deals are fairly lucrative, it looked at the time that the Bills would only be able to get about $1 million per year from selling the rights. The Jacksonville deal is a mild surprise, considering the indifference of their fans.

p.s.-This is the extension of the lease which occurred in 1998 when the Bills started 0-3 (and no tickets were selling), but ended up 10-6 after a 10-3 finish. During the winning streak, tickets suddenly started selling and the team's future in Buffalo was assured for another 15 years.

I, as you, have noted on a variety of occasions that the owner controls the naming rights to the stadium. It has little impact with those who just don't want to accept the facts.

As you stated it has riled some owners who have been forced to distribute some of their funds to his franchise without him making as strenuous an effort to maximize his market. Dan Snyder has been one owner who has criticized him for his whining about his limited market capabilities while he continues to leave revenue on the table simply because he wants to. On this issue I clearly side with Snyder. Because of the stubborness of an old time owner such as Ralph to change with the times he has hurt the cause of the smaller markets.

The revenue sharing formula is a piece of poop, but again, it's not really a part of the CBA.

The NFL for some reason has insisted on linkage of the two issues (the CBA vs Revenue Sharing), probably because they can tackle it all at the same time.

The CBA is the agreement with the players, basically a percentage of league revenues.

Revenue sharing is how the teams divide the money that's left after the players are paid their portion.

You can be assured that the players don't care how the teams split the money once they get their share.

And the league could adjust the revenue sharing formula independent of the CBA negotiations.

Many sports administration experts agree that there's no reason for the two issues to be linked. But the NFL links them.

The other thing is this. Ralph can play the victim. But if he and Mike Brown were more proactive, they could have established a committee which would include teams like New Orleans, Jacksonville, Green Bay, etc to fight for the rights of the smaller market/lower revenue teams.

They could still do so.

In life, you can be the victim, or you can do something about it. Ralph's a multi-millionaire. He can do something about it.

He tried. He voted no. And when he was outvoted, he got himself placed on the additional revenue sharing committee, to make sure he got a piece of the money the owners were willing to dish out. The money from naming rights doesn't change things one way or another, and I find it hypocritical that Jerruh Jones, who didn't sell naming rights to "Texas Stadium," took him to task for it. :blink:

And regardless of the linkage between shared rev and the CBA, the fact is the owners gave the players too much in the last round of CBA talks. It should have at-best been a 2% raise (in total revenue).

Link

Not definitive at all, but the best I could find mentions the Bills selling the naming rights.

Too bad we don't have an official Team Historian on board.

Quickly...someone light the KRC Signal!

I find it interesting that with talking about the renovations, they don't mention that the number of seats went down from 80K. One mistake, they say the renovations were done in 1999, I believe it was either 96 or 97.

If I'm not mistaken (and my memory isnt what it used to be) I think after the Rich naming rights expired, the stadium was named Bills Stadium for 1 year (sort of as a place holder), then was open to other suggestions. Ralph didnt want to sell to a corporation and someone (maybe the county as was suggested) recommended RWS in honor of him, of which Ralph was flattered. Something like that.

Not sure what the stadium was named during that year, but I do know the Fieldhouse was originally named "Ralph C Wilson Fieldhouse". Now it's Buffalo Bills Fieldhouse.

Why aren't the Bills looking to do this? Or are they and can't find a suitor? For a team that complains about its financial viability, this seems like a no-brainer to me. The Jags are making $3 million in the first year of the deal. I respect Ralph Wilson for everything he has done for the Bills, but the name of the stadium isn't as important as keeping the team in town.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jaguar...h-EverBank.html

I agree. He should have sold the naming rights years ago- instead Erie Co. is paying about 3 mil(?) a year for upkeep of the stadium.

Want your name on the stadium?

Build it and pay for it yourself.

The money from naming rights doesn't change things one way or another, and I find it hypocritical that Jerruh Jones, who didn't sell naming rights to "Texas Stadium," took him to task for it. :blink:

Jerry Jones made a business decision that because of the current difficult economic climate that limited the amount he could presently get in a naming right deal he preferred to wait longer and get a better deal at a later time. You can be assured that the naming right to his mostly self-financed stadium will be consummated some time in the near future. While the owner of the Bills has taken a stubborn and backwater stance with respect to selling the naming rights the owner of the Cowboys has a much more modern approach to business.

Jerry Jones made a business decision that because of the current difficult economic climate that limited the amount he could presently get in a naming right deal he preferred to wait longer and get a better deal at a later time. You can be assured that the naming right to his mostly self-financed stadium will be consummated some time in the near future. While the owner of the Bills has taken a stubborn and backwater stance with respect to selling the naming rights the owner of the Cowboys has a much more modern approach to business.

I was talking about the stadium in Irving Texas, not the new Jerruh-dome. The Cowboys played there for 20 years without Jerruh selling naming rights.

As for Jerruh-dome being "mostly self-financed," true, but Arlington kicked-in $325M and the NFL kicked-in another $150M. How much do you suppose Erie County would kick-in for a new stadium?

I was talking about the stadium in Irving Texas, not the new Jerruh-dome. The Cowboys played there for 20 years without Jerruh selling naming rights.

Did you ever consider the fact that he didn't own the naming rights as Ralph does?

As for Jerruh-dome being "mostly self-financed," true, but Arlington kicked-in $325M and the NFL kicked-in another $150M. How much do you suppose Erie County would kick-in for a new stadium?

Erie County is not going to pay a nickel for a new stadium because the current owner has no interest in contributing a penny for a stadium. That is similar to the amount (nada) he contributed to the building of Rich Stadium.

There was a period of time when the NFL raised money for a stadium fund. Jerry Jones got below market rate money from the league which was available to all teams. Our cantankerous owner voted against the Jets and Giants tapping into that same fund and combining their league loan limit because he is a jealous miser. I'm sure the NY owners appreciated the negative vote from the out dated owner. There will come a time when they can return the favor.

Did you ever consider the fact that he didn't own the naming rights as Ralph does?

Are you stating this as fact, or asking?

Erie County is not going to pay a nickel for a new stadium because the current owner has no interest in contributing a penny for a stadium. That is similar to the amount (nada) he contributed to the building of Rich Stadium.

There was a period of time when the NFL raised money for a stadium fund. Jerry Jones got below market rate money from the league which was available to all teams. Our cantankerous owner voted against the Jets and Giants tapping into that same fund and combining their league loan limit because he is a jealous miser. I'm sure the NY owners appreciated the negative vote from the out dated owner. There will come a time when they can return the favor.

What owner spent money on a football stadium back in the 70's or even 80's? The answer? No one did.

As for not contributing a penny for a new stadium, it's moot when he hasn't demanded one. At best you're making an assumption. But with a new stadium comes taxpayer burdens and higher game day prices. People in Buffalo struggle to sell-out the stadium as is, with the lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Raising prices, much less charging PSL's, would kill attendance.

And the rest of the owners won't be returning any favors. The G-3 fund is gone, Ralph isn't demanding a new stadium, and he was right about the CBA and they know it.

Are you stating this as fact, or asking?

It is a fact that Jones did not have the naming rights to the stadium in Irving. The stadium was owned by the city.

As for not contributing a penny for a new stadium, it's moot when he hasn't demanded one. At best you're making an assumption. But with a new stadium comes taxpayer burdens and higher game day prices. People in Buffalo struggle to sell-out the stadium as is, with the lowest ticket prices in the NFL. Raising prices, much less charging PSL's, would kill attendance.

And the rest of the owners won't be returning any favors. The G-3 fund is gone, Ralph isn't demanding a new stadium, and he was right about the CBA and they know it.

The owner is in his 90s . He is doing what he has a history of doing: Squeezing the franchise to the max, not investing in something he won't be around to gain from. Let's get serious here.

I'm not sure what your point is with your incessant references to the CBA?

Fantastic. Thanks.

As for the bolded sentence, I don't think it makes any difference in how much Ralph gets.

Ralph holds grudges like nobody else (see Saban, Lou; Polian, Bill, etc.)...........He did not want the stadium to be named Rich Stadium (I don't remember why) and he would have the tickets printed as Buffalo Bills Stadium.........At least 20 years later, he pulled the Bills ticket selling operations out of Tops and I know that it had something to do with the Rich family having a financial interest in that venture.

It is a fact that Jones did not have the naming rights to the stadium in Irving. The stadium was owned by the city.

The Ralph is owned by Erie County. Assuming what you say is true (although I'll still need a link), are you telling me that Jones could never get naming rights from the city of Irving, but Ralph could get them from Erie County?

The owner is in his 90s . He is doing what he has a history of doing: Squeezing the franchise to the max, not investing in something he won't be around to gain from. Let's get serious here.

Not investing in a stadium that will cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions, cost fans hundreds more on Sundays, and which won't do a whole lot to attract corporate sponsors/luxury box owners? Gee, what a jerk!

I'm not sure what your point is with your incessant references to the CBA?

That much is evident. :sick:

Fantastic. Thanks.

As for the bolded sentence, I don't think it makes any difference in how much Ralph gets.

Supplemental revenue sharing is a bit of a mystery.

But again, it's a symbolic thing (like stomping on a box of Flutie Flakes).

Ralph complains and votes based on his agenda which is that small market teams are at a financial disadvantage.

That's fine, but before he complains, it seems that he should first tap into whatever revenue sources are available to him.

It's not the money. It's the principle.

I agree that the league should be more equitable in sharing revenues…it's the system which made the NFL the best pro sports league in the world. Unfortunately the disparity between the haves and the have nots is definitely growing and the old league model is being threatened.

But in good faith, Ralph needs to sell the damn naming rights, before he accepts supplemental revenue from the league (the maximum payout is estimated to be about $8 million), all the while complaining that the system is broken.