C.J. Spiller track times.

Hossage

Considering that only 71 men have broken the 10 second barrier for the 100 m dash (Only 1 white guy who was the last guy to do it a couple months ago) Spiller's 10.26 time in the 100m dash he isn't too far off breaking that barrier (And had he trained more for it instead of letting that pesky NFL career get in the way he could probably close the gap a little more).

Spiller has to be one of the top 10 fastest players in the NFL.

Considering that only 71 men have broken the 10 second barrier for the 100 m dash (Only 1 white guy who was the last guy to do it a couple months ago) Spiller's 10.26 time in the 100m dash he isn't too far off breaking that barrier (And had he trained more for it instead of letting that pesky NFL career get in the way he could probably close the gap a little more).

but he can pull sick moves while running a 10.26 100, sick moves

well, you were being dishonest then. :blush:

I'm a former D3 decathlete, and currently am a coach. I'd rather have facts being presented as opposed the Fox News version of the "facts" when it comes to my second favorite sport.

are you the focus of hossages havatar?

*My insight is not offering the suggestion he will be a bust in the NFL just a trained eye studying his form. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I coached track for 8 years and ran for a year in college at the D1 level before quiting (there is no National Track League, after all).

Good stuff, J. Spiller seems like he has a lot of natural talent. As I suspected it sounds like he got by more on talent than anything else as far as running track was concerned.

his combine time is 4.27 40 yd , but its commonly reported as 4.37, why is that do you think Bills fan, why do they hate us?

I believe participants at the combine actually run 3 40 yard dashes and the time given is an average of the three heats.

edit: Also I seem to remember something about the combine officials revising the times after reviewing the videotapes. Don't know why they did it but it seems like Spiller was one of the players who's time was adjusted slower. This is a vague memory so don't hold me to it.

edit 2: "Bruce Campbell and Trindon Holliday are just the latest test cases.

Campbell is an offensive lineman from Maryland, and the latest athletic Terrapin (Vernon Davis, Darrius Heyward-Bey) more notable for skills than stats. He ran the 40-yard dash in what was originally reported as 4.77 or 4.78 seconds in -- later revised to a 4.85 -- that generated plenty of buzz from hype hound and media member alike.

But it also got a healthy dose of skepticism from corners less prone to exaggerate. Football Outsiders' Bill Barnwell threw cold water all over the Campbell hype, noting that the time puts him in the company of Allen Barbre, Lydon Murtha, and Khalif Barnes, in addition to line stalwarts Joe Thomas and Eric Winston. The point: a fast 40 isn't a guarantee of success or failure, especially for a lineman who only runs 40 yards when entering or exiting a field.

Trindon Holliday has a better chance of being a success based on his 40 time. The LSU product blazed what was originally labeled 4.22, then revised to a 4.34."

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sport..._hollidays_4.34

Spillers 100 time compared to the 200 time is key.

YouTube of his 40

Wow, bad form. You'd think they'd train him better. The guys back is like a freakin question mark and his explosion is not parallel with the ground. His stance is not balanced, nor is he in a power position to capitalize on this explosive legs. His lack of balance at the start surprises me. In the 2nd showing of it he runs loosely. His lateral movement is not steady in his shoulders nor his hips which is a waste of energy. His bow legged start indicates that he is a bull runner using power to gain his speed versus fast runners who rely on foot speed. Basically, it looks like he is out of place and watching the slow motion replay you can see that he has no concentration of energy or step pattern in the forward movement, sloppy.

Compare this to Taylor Mays 40. Notice his shoulders are not locked but steady. His core muscles are trained and he is balanced. His mistep is a flaw in his form that can be corrected, otherwise, he's pretty dang good.

My conclusion in the combine 40 is that he powered too hard. You run best when in comfort and he looked like he was trying to push himself too hard. Also, it appears as if he has a weak core base due to the hip movement.

His form in highlights, as seen here, indicates similar findings to previously mentioned. His form is very stiff in his shoulders, despite looking like they flop. A natural movement is not that choppy in the pumping of the arms. He is using his arms as balance and to derive power due to poor hip and lower core balance. His style of running reminds me of Reggie Bush and LaDanian Tomlinson. Both of them have bouncing shoulders.

His time being doubled in the 200 meter is cause for worry in that he has no top end speed. In the NFL most players can run a 4.6 and that .4 is not much. Where great backs get their long TD runs is through great blocking, good cuts and top end speed. Of course, this is all track information. I would love to see him run a 400 dash and 400m hurdle. Those would test his endurance.

*My insight is not offering the suggestion he will be a bust in the NFL just a trained eye studying his form. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I coached track for 8 years and ran for a year in college at the D1 level before quiting (there is no National Track League, after all).

I disagree with your assessment in a few ways. Spiller's one major form flaw is flat-footedness with a slight bit of tension in the neck. Spiller is .23 faster than the 4.6 that you say is average. This means that he gains roughly 3 yards of seperation on the average NFL'er in 40 yards. With the quick acceleration that he has, that means he is almost a yard ahead of in 10 yards. That is HUGE. The bouncing shoulders that you reference is very common even among elite sprinters.

here is a video of asafa powell running 9.74 almost all of the guys in that final heat are bouncing their shoulders w/ powell having the best form.

In all, I think you are nitpicking little things in a situation where he probably was trying too hard in order to make millions.

You are correct that the first official white guy to break 10 was a few months ago, however Peter Karlson of Sweden went sub 10 in a wind aided effort in the mid 90's. I figured this is worth mentioning.

are you the focus of hossages havatar?

God, I hope not.

Good point. I think there's a few things going on.

Firstly, Spiller is ultimately more quick than fast although he's both.

Secondly, he's a track athlete but not an elite track athlete so as far as coaching and training, he's probably got more work to do.

Also, most sprinters these days are taller than CJ is. This probably helps their "top end."

I noticed that his 60 time is excellent too so I think his acceleration is probably world class but not his top end.

I suppose if you have to pick one, outstanding acceleration + good top end speed bodes better for football potential than outstanding top end speed and good acceleration...

The 4.6 I mentioned was what seems to be the average for DE's, LB's, and other defensive players that are not backs. It takes a fast back with great form to bring down a good RB on a solo tackle.

Also, the flat foot running style he has was similar to my own. I never perfected it but got it better. Where Asafa destroys people is on his kick. He has hands down the best kick and retraction of any track runner, ever. He does not get the "bite" on his steps to be called a finese runner. Finese runners do not fair well for long in the NFL, see that kid from Minnesota a few years ago, the track star.