C.J. Spiller track times.

Hossage

His best 100m was a 10.29, his best 200m was 20.96, his best 60m was 6.58.

http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-tra...iller_cj00.html

Thanks for posting, Hossage.

It's hard for most people to put those numbers into perspective. As football fans we are most familiar with 40 yard times.

Those numbers are blazing fast for a football player. Not quite as impressive for a pure track athlete. And less so again for a world class track athlete.

Consider that Usain Bolt's world record time in the 200m is 19.19 !!!

That makes Spiller's time look slow…even though Spiller is damn fast.

It's odd/surprising that his 200 times is more than 2x his 100 time. It takes maybe 20 yards to reach speed, from that point on you're basically running at full speed. 200m is not a "distance" race, but rather a sprint.

His times would indicate he actually tired toward the end (&/or he gets up to full speed at a ridiculously quickly but his 60m time would contradict that).

It's odd/surprising that his 200 times is more than 2x his 100 time. It takes maybe 20 yards to reach speed, from that point on you're basically running at full speed. 200m is not a "distance" race, but rather a sprint.

His times would indicate he actually tired toward the end (&/or he gets up to full speed at a ridiculously quickly but his 60m time would contradict that).

Oh brother.

I heard he wasn't reading a Jane Austen novel while running with those times. I think that indicates he hates women and is a punk.

Good point. I think there's a few things going on.

Firstly, Spiller is ultimately more quick than fast although he's both.

Secondly, he's a track athlete but not an elite track athlete so as far as coaching and training, he's probably got more work to do.

Also, most sprinters these days are taller than CJ is. This probably helps their "top end."

I noticed that his 60 time is excellent too so I think his acceleration is probably world class but not his top end.

This is indicative of someone great acceleration and not as great top-end speed. Usain Bolt is the opposite where Bolt is slow out of the blocks but has better top end speed. Most people forget that Bolt is a world class 400 runner that could break that record as well. Spiller is comparable to a Marcus Allen who holds an NCAA record for 50 hurdles IIRC, and I mean this in terms of speed. Spiller is lightning quick, but he is not Renaldo Nehemiah who was a world record holding hurdler that was too frail for the NFL.

Yes SanJose, these times show that he is quicker than fast. He has probably put on a few pounds since these track times. Realistically, nobody in the NFL will make up more than a yard on him if he breaks out on a kick return or long run. I think that he may be faster, but is not quite as agile, flexible, or smart as Barry Sanders.

And Starry raises the point about football speed. To me that consists of two different things.

One is how fast a person runs when he is being chased or chasing someone on the football field. It's a different dynamic than running to a finish line.

The second part is that story I like to tell about the old Air Coryell (RIP) San Diego Chargers…

Coryell had his skill position players race wearing helmets, shoulder pads, and cleats, and carrying a football.

Power runner Chuck Muncie (about 235 pounds) was the fastest person on the team…faster than speedy wideouts John Jefferson and Charlie Joyner.

And Starry raises the point about football speed. To me that consists of two different things.

One is how fast a person runs when he is being chased or chasing someone on the football field. It's a different dynamic than running to a finish line.

The second part is that story I like to tell about the old Air Coryell (RIP) San Diego Chargers…

Coryell had his skill position players race wearing helmets, shoulder pads, and cleats, and carrying a football.

Power runner Chuck Muncie (about 235 pounds) was the fastest person on the team…faster than speedy wideouts John Jefferson and Charlie Joyner.

Agree that there are (at least) two types of football fast that are relevant for evaluation of a player like Spiller. Can he flat outrun people? I don't expect him to be caught from behind once he is in the open field.

But secondly, the question is how long does it take him to reach full speed. My understanding is that he is one of these guys, like Gale Sayers, who needs only 1 - 1 1/2 strides to top out. He's gonna be great!

There was a recent article that stated Spiller's touchdowns - in college, some 50+ touchdowns, almost half of them are from more than 50 yards out. To me that indicates he's much quicker - to get separation, than most other players, and that he's got the follow-up speed to continue increasing the gap. Chris Johnson comes to mind - someone who just looks obviously way faster than everyone around him, like a Madden player 10 pts faster than everyone else.

Agree that there are (at least) two types of football fast that are relevant for evaluation of a player like Spiller. Can he flat outrun people? I don't expect him to be caught from behind once he is in the open field.

But secondly, the question is how long does it take him to reach full speed. My understanding is that he is one of these guys, like Gale Sayers, who needs only 1 - 1 1/2 strides to top out. He's gonna be great!

Starry, it takes a good olympic starter 30 yards to top out. But more to your point, I think he is a very good starter.

I think you try to think too much.

Yeah, 55 meters. I said 30 to make a point with the other poster. I was a track guy myself.

well, you were being dishonest then. :blush:

I'm a former D3 decathlete, and currently am a coach. I'd rather have facts being presented as opposed the Fox News version of the "facts" when it comes to my second favorite sport.

I'm no track anything but I am good at math. FWIW, I think its probably 50 meters or 55 yards since they would be more equivalent than the other way around.

Regardless, he's fast enough to make big plays and might be the only reason to watch the Bills this year. He's also pretty strong too. I've seen a bunch of clips of him breaking tackles and getting extra yards.

well, you were being dishonest then. :blush:

I'm a former D3 decathlete, and currently am a coach. I'd rather have facts being presented as opposed the Fox News version of the "facts" when it comes to my second favorite sport.

Wanna race, girly boy?

Spillers 100 time compared to the 200 time is key.

YouTube of his 40

Wow, bad form. You'd think they'd train him better. The guys back is like a freakin question mark and his explosion is not parallel with the ground. His stance is not balanced, nor is he in a power position to capitalize on this explosive legs. His lack of balance at the start surprises me. In the 2nd showing of it he runs loosely. His lateral movement is not steady in his shoulders nor his hips which is a waste of energy. His bow legged start indicates that he is a bull runner using power to gain his speed versus fast runners who rely on foot speed. Basically, it looks like he is out of place and watching the slow motion replay you can see that he has no concentration of energy or step pattern in the forward movement, sloppy.

Compare this to Taylor Mays 40. Notice his shoulders are not locked but steady. His core muscles are trained and he is balanced. His mistep is a flaw in his form that can be corrected, otherwise, he's pretty dang good.

My conclusion in the combine 40 is that he powered too hard. You run best when in comfort and he looked like he was trying to push himself too hard. Also, it appears as if he has a weak core base due to the hip movement.

His form in highlights, as seen here, indicates similar findings to previously mentioned. His form is very stiff in his shoulders, despite looking like they flop. A natural movement is not that choppy in the pumping of the arms. He is using his arms as balance and to derive power due to poor hip and lower core balance. His style of running reminds me of Reggie Bush and LaDanian Tomlinson. Both of them have bouncing shoulders.

His time being doubled in the 200 meter is cause for worry in that he has no top end speed. In the NFL most players can run a 4.6 and that .4 is not much. Where great backs get their long TD runs is through great blocking, good cuts and top end speed. Of course, this is all track information. I would love to see him run a 400 dash and 400m hurdle. Those would test his endurance.

*My insight is not offering the suggestion he will be a bust in the NFL just a trained eye studying his form. Not trying to sound like a jerk, I coached track for 8 years and ran for a year in college at the D1 level before quiting (there is no National Track League, after all).