How Long Will The Holdouts Be?

How Long Will the Holdouts Be?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Days of Camp will CJ Miss?

• 0: The kid wants to play
    • 1-2: No big deal
    • 3-5: It's just business
    • 6-10: The kid wants his scratch
    • 11+: F*&k this guy!

In the weeks leading up to camp I've read a lot of posters on here saying how proactive this new regime has been about getting their players signed and to camp faster than ever before. Obviously, that's not entirely true. These things always take time as they're dependent upon the whole slotting system.

Still, as we close in on camp, how confident are you that CJ and Troup will be signed in a quick fashion?

In the weeks leading up to camp I've read a lot of posters on here saying how proactive this new regime has been about getting their players signed and to camp faster than ever before. Obviously, that's not entirely true. These things always take time as they're dependent upon the whole slotting system.

Still, as we close in on camp, how confident are you that CJ and Troup will be signed in a quick fashion?

I don't think the blame rests entirely on management. The agents play a game with these players. They look to leverage their player based upon the signings of other teams. As such it has become a wait and see game.

:ph34r:

Well - from what I've read, there is a lot of uncertainty because of the CBA rejection. There was an article in Sunday's Cincinnati Enquirer by beat reporter Joe Reedy, that said that "the main sticking point is guaranteed $, which was largely put into a 2nd year roster or option bonus. So it didn't count against the rookie signing pool. But most of those bonuses are due at the beginning of the league year, which next season very likely will be the first day of a lockout".

I tried and failed to provide a link - that's the difference between inet and print - inet stuff can be pulled back, modified, can't access it, etc.

Personally, if I were a #1 or #2, I'd grab as much money as I could today. A bird in the hand etc...

It will be a disappointment if Troup misses any time. Second round picks shouldn't be this difficult to structure. However Spiller is going to take some time, because there are so many variables to factor for both sides.

How do you structure a contract, with the looming possibility of no NFL football in 2011? :ph34r:

No matter what happens it really shouldn't get anyone worked up into a tizzy. Without seeing these guys play it is hard to tell which is better. Just last year everyone was clamoring for Maybinot to sign and my guess is that as of now 98.39% of Bills fans wish he was still holding out.

Tough to single out one player as a "holdout" when 30/31 other 1st rounders remain unsigned.

Well you really don't have to single anyone out, if they aren't there when camp starts they are a hold out.

I looked this up earlier today, last year there were all of 4 1st rounders signed by this point; it seems that everyone is making this a big deal, and it maybe, but at this point 1 signed vs 4 signed isn't that different.

SSDD

I think the bigger deal, if he holds out, is Troup. The guy was fortunate to be picked in the 2nd round after a

fairly non-descript college career at a good, but lower level college. He needs to be in camp day one

working on getting to be good enough to see the field. The Bills raved about his work ethic and how he

"just wants to play", so let's see him back it up by being in camp day one.

Spiller's case I "get", but don't like. This whole garbage about slotting should be replaced by a rookie

wage scale that is based on the round/position within round that a player is drafted in. That is essentially

what they do with this slotting, but everyone sits around until a couple of guys sign to see what % increase

they are getting over last year's guy drafted in the same round/position.

Well you really don't have to single anyone out, if they aren't there when camp starts they are a hold out.

I looked this up earlier today, last year there were all of 4 1st rounders signed by this point; it seems that everyone is making this a big deal, and it maybe, but at this point 1 signed vs 4 signed isn't that different.

SSDD

I know its an argument of semantics, but i'm hesitant to apply the "holdout" label to rookies who aren't signed in time for camp. When basically everyone else around the league is in camp, then a holdout happens. Jamarcus Russell was a holdout. Brady Quinn was a holdout. Aaron Maybin was a holdout. Players that either want more money and are missing time because they can't get a deal done are holdout.

Rookies that haven't signed their rookie deals aren't really true "holdouts" in the sense. For all we know, both sides in the negotiation haven't made an offer to the other, or perhaps they are very close to signing and are just waiting to see what the other players around them get.

I'll be surprised if Spiller doesn't hold for at least 2 weeks. I'm thinking his holdout will last into the regular season. We won't see him until after the bye week. Just the nature of #1 picks in the 21st century NFL.

How many first round picks have you seen hold out part way through the season that would tell you this is actually likely...especially a guy with this character, get real

Tough to single out one player as a "holdout" when 30/31 other 1st rounders remain unsigned.

Of course they're not holdouts yet. That's why there's an option for 0 ... meaning they won't hold out.

But experience shows that the likelyhood of the number 9 pick being in camp on time is pretty slim. Not impossible, but slim. So, come Thursday he becomes a "hold out".

Personally I don't think missing even a week of camp is a huge deal. Maybe more for Troup than Spiller. RBs have the shortest learning curve. I was just curious what everyone else thinks. Hence the poll.