Tale of the tape: First drive

Mickey

Guest Guest_Coach_Tuesday

Does anyone know if the Bills ever use zone blocking, where the RB just picks any hole he wants? Just curious - I don't think they do, b/c we don't have one-cut runners like Portis.

Does anyone know if the Bills ever use zone blocking, where the RB just picks any hole he wants?  Just curious - I don't think they do, b/c we don't have one-cut runners like Portis.

143862[/snapback]

Jeez don't talk to me about zone blocking... We just installed it at my team and the RBs NEVER pick the right hole :doh:

How do you know where the play was designed to go?  Often times a FB is used as a decoy.  A D can key in a which direction/hole a FB goes to, and try to plug it up.  Do you have a copy of the playbook?  Just becaue there was a hole in one place does not mean that is where the play was designed to go.

143764[/snapback]

I watched the play, and watched it, and watched it and watched it. If it was designed to go into the middle, explain to me why Tucker is plowing his guy into the middle right where Willis is initially cutting? Tucker's block and Jennings' (pushing his guy outside) created a perfect hole and that is where Shelton goes to pick up the LB who stepped up to fill the gap. There are counter plays and misdirection plays, they are pretty easy to spot, that one wasn't a misdirection play, it was meat on meat.

Why is it so hard for you to give some credit to Shelton, Jennings and Tucker? Willis had no problem singling out Shelton's blocking for praise. Check the tape and you will see that Shelton hit on only a couple blocks that sprung Willis in that whole game, one was that TD.

Jeez don't talk to me about zone blocking... We just installed it at my team and the RBs NEVER pick the right hole  :doh:

143864[/snapback]

They use zone blocking in field hockey??

mickey, the end result was a TD.  Your analysis was pretty accurate that he didn't hit the hole behind shelton, but he improvised and got a TD.  Much better than taking a 3 yard loss by hitting the wrong hole and not correcting yourself.  The end result is that he brings this dimention to the table, whereas guys before him don't.  I really can't wait to see him develop even more.

143800[/snapback]

I am not being critical of him, he recovered nicely. The point was to show what a good job Shelton, Jennings and Tucker did on that play. The line I have been hearing was that Willis made the play on his own by breaking tackles and heading outside. What he did was see a hole open up quickly to his right that closed before he got there. He stopped before he was close enough to the line for the defense to get a handle on him and go back to the hole. That was a very nice recovery but it didn't get him to paydirt, he still needed a hole somehwere. That is where Jennings, Shelton and Tucker really shone. They not only made a hole, they kept it open long enough for Willis to get on track so that it was still there. That has to be difficult, keeping a hole open for very long on the goal line.

Again, I am not taking anything away from Willis, I just want the contribution of the other guys to be appreciated. Lets face it, this line has taken a lot of criticism, most of it deserved. By the same token, you have give them a hand when they get it done.

Again, I am not taking anything away from Willis, I just want the contribution of the other guys to be appreciated.  Lets face it, this line has taken a lot of criticism, most of it deserved.  By the same token, you have give them a hand when they get it done.

143894[/snapback]

Totally fair - I find it interesting from your analysis that Tucker appears to be playing well enough in short-yardage situations that he doesn't have to be replaced by Bannan any longer.

"A nice reverse with Bledsoe throwing a key block is nullified by a penalty against Jason Peters for not reporting as eligible. He is not having a very good half. WE try it again on the other side with MW leading the way. There is only one guy out there to stop the play by MW engulfs him so Evans goes for 15 and a first down. The drive ends when Drew throws a deep one to Evans who had single coverage. It was single coverage all right but the guy was all over him. The pass was a little overthrown and with coverage that good, it ended up a nice pick. Drew went to the right receiver and you would like to think Evans would beat the guy one on one. Oh well."

Look at the endzone view again. The ball was a badly thrown ball. Had it been thrown to the middle of the field or just inside the hashmark it would have been a TD. Instead it was thrown over/to the outside of the WR which was dead on for an int.  Now this is not just me, even the commentators reviewed the play and showed the exact same thing. Evans had his man beat for 6 IF the ball is thrown in the right place.

143765[/snapback]

The guy was step for step with him, in fact, he was a step beyond him which is why he was able to get to the overthrown ball and Lee wasn't. For that play to have worked, Drew would have had to have underthrown it to the inside. Even then the defender would have been able to make a play on the ball because he was stride for stride with the receiver. That is just the way I saw it but I'll take another look next time I have the time to run the tape.

Totally fair - I find it interesting from your analysis that Tucker appears to be playing well enough in short-yardage situations that he doesn't have to be replaced by Bannan any longer.

143898[/snapback]

Banaan did play, he didn't on that particular play unless he was on the other side. I saw him in on another TD run to the left where he was pulling and his man went deep, so deep that he took himself out of the play and so Justin really didn't need to block him. That guy may have had the responsibility to just turn the play inside so maybe that is why he did what he did. I didn't look at that play to see if Tucker was also out there.

Maybe they like Bannan's mobility and so use him when they need the guard to pull but keep Tucker in when the guard is just going after the guy in front of him?

Look at the endzone view again. The ball was a badly thrown ball. Had it been thrown to the middle of the field or just inside the hashmark it would have been a TD. Instead it was thrown over/to the outside of the WR which was dead on for an int.  Now this is not just me, even the commentators reviewed the play and showed the exact same thing. Evans had his man beat for 6 IF the ball is thrown in the right place.

143765[/snapback]

Ice is dead-on here. The ball was thrown behind the WR, he and the two DBs faded left as the ball came down. Had that ball been thrown in front of the receiver, it would have been a touchdown.

This is _exactly_ what happened on the first interception in the Patriots game, when Bledsoe went deep to Moulds, under double coverage.

It's a bit disconcerting to see the lack of accuracy repeat itself, but hey, both of those balls were 50 yards in the air. Now, to be fair :w00t: Bledsoe had a _terrific_ game otherwise against the 'Hawks. That 2-minute drive was a thing of beauty.

Mickey, I guess Willis is dumb as a doornail and should be shown the door just like Travis.  Dammit when will we get a real running back in here.  :w00t:

143796[/snapback]

Like smart has much to do with it. Cookie Gilchrist was a bona fide lunatic. He made Saban look sane.

Seriously, Willis didn't make a mistake or do anything dumb on that play. He just saw an opening in the middle at the same time he saw the LB read the play and head for the gap. That same LB wasn't going to be able to fill a hole between the center and the guard. He was simply reading the LB. Unfortunately, even with out the LB on that side, the middle was plugged but good, in part because Teague was taking his guy(s) inside. Willis made a heck of a recovery when he came to a dead stop and slid back to the guard-tackle hole. That LB was still there but Shelton took care of him.

It was a very nice football play and for me anyway, it was a lot more interesting "upon further review" than it was at first glance. I don't know why people insist on getting caught up in an argument about this. Willis was just doing what good backs do, try and find a way to score. He did score and a lot of the credit goes to the line without necessarily taking anything away from him. Geez, it was one play.

Mickey, that was a fantastic post and a very good and Accurate IMO analysis. Don't listen to your flamers who mostly just don't understand these concepts as you obviously do. I realize, for example that you are not "dissing" WM because of the goal line running play, but rather pointing out they way it truly happened, and the fact that the O-line did a superior job on the play. Keep it up man. We need more posters like this :w00t:

So where is the condescending, weasel-like attention grab post? Give it time, I guess :w00t:

But seriously, I've always had trouble with the school of thought of RB's so-called "hitting holes hard". How some commentators (cough, cough, Theismann, cough) praise backs who consistently fly into the line hard. I've always questioned whether or not that is always sound. I would think that running hard and low into the line can over-commit you to the hole, that might close up on you fast. The trick is not how hard you run, but knowing how to run on each play. Any running backs out there got anything on this?

I also think Willis runs alot stronger than it looks, too, but that's another thread.

Mickey, that was a fantastic post and a very good and Accurate IMO analysis. Don't listen to your flamers who mostly just don't understand these concepts as you obviously do. I realize, for example that you are not "dissing" WM because of the goal line running play, but rather pointing out they way it truly happened, and the fact that the O-line did a superior job on the play. Keep it up man. We need more posters like this  :w00t:

144044[/snapback]

Completely agree. Great post all around. Too bad Blackbear isn't around to enjoy it. :w00t:

They should either tell the zebras before the game that Peters will be eligible all game long and to inform the opposing team of that (if that's legal), or give him a number in the 80's.  I'm assuming that players wearing numbers in the 80's cannot lineup at one of the OL spots, but I doubt Peters sees time at OL, so better off to give him a number in the 80's.

143767[/snapback]

Someone asked Mularkey about Peter's number in the last 'Ask MM' installment

Kevin (Williamsville, NY): Since you are using Jason Peters as a blocking TE almost exclusively, why not give him one of the available numbers in the 80s so he does not have to report each time he goes in? Just one less thing for a player to think about and get penalized for like he did yesterday.

MM: He's really one of the backup tackles. He'll be used in case of an emergency and on Sunday he got about 10 snaps at tackle. His initial role is as an offensive line.

Ask MM

The guy was step for step with him, in fact, he was a step beyond him which is why he was able to get to the overthrown ball and Lee wasn't.  For that play to have worked, Drew would have had to have underthrown it to the inside.  Even then the defender would have been able to make a play on the ball because he was stride for stride with the receiver.  That is just the way I saw it but I'll take another look next time I have the time to run the tape.

143906[/snapback]

I agree with ICE on this one, Mickey. The end zone view showed it all. Evans was streaking down around the left hashmark, and the safety had deep coverage on him as you note. For that pass to be complete, Drew had to throw it down the right hashmark, preferably underthrown to a degree. Even so, I doubt there was much that could have made that a complete pass, since the deep safety had great position on Evans.

IMO not only was it a poor decision to throw it to Evans on that play (since he was covered well), it was a poor throw. Way overthrown and on the wrong side of the field.

Nice analysis otherwise!