Session Beer Question

plenzmd1

So for the last 18 months or so been really into trying and drinking all manor of IPA's. Loving the hoppy beers, and have really settled into a rotation of Bells Two Hearted, 60 Minutes, and Stone IPA. Problem is all those beers about 7%, and I still drink as many as I do a 5% beer. :w00t:

So i am out looking for a new session beer I can drink, and drink more than a few, without getting liquored up. and wanted some of your alls feedback. Any body drinking a nice hoppy beer out there under 5%? Looks like some of the Ryes are right around 5, like the Terrapin Rye Pale http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/1-Rye-Pale-Ale.

I have had their Hopsecutioner, and like it, so tempted to give it a try.

Any other suggestions?

I've been an IPA fan for years and have tried an awful lot of them. My absolute favorite, believe it or not, is brewed right in good old Upstate NY - Southern Tier IPA.

I just looked at one of the bottles in my fridge (using all of my will-power not to open it yet) and the alcohol content isn't listed. I'd highly recommend this brew. :w00t:

Not sure where you are located but I can buy it down here in FLA at Total Wine.

Good luck!

I've been an IPA fan for years and have tried an awful lot of them. My absolute favorite, believe it or not, is brewed right in good old Upstate NY - Southern Tier IPA.

I just looked at one of the bottles in my fridge (using all of my will-power not to open it yet) and the alcohol content isn't listed. I'd highly recommend this brew. :w00t:

Not sure where you are located but I can buy it down here in FLA at Total Wine.

Good luck!

Like the Southern Teir as well, can actually get it in the Kroger here, but thats right around 7% i think. I gotta feeling that the way IPA's are brewed hard to be under that 7% number.Hear nothing but good things bout all of their beers

Like the Southern Teir as well, can actually get it in the Kroger here, but thats right around 7% i think. I gotta feeling that the way IPA's are brewed hard to be under that 7% number.Hear nothing but good things bout all of their beers

Just checked their website and it's 6.9%. Hey, that's under 7!!!

A true session beer in probably <4.0% Abv. Unfortunately there aren't too many commercial examples of beer that meet this criteria. An English mild or bitter are classic examples of the session beer. I have a homebrewed mild on tap at 3.5% hopped with Amarillo. You can drink it from morning til night and not get bombed. Fantastic.

i love the magic hat mixed 12 packs...not usually a fan of the fruitier flavored beers, but the 12's of magic hat at least give you a variety of beers that have actual flavors....

i am also a hop head, and finding a session beer with enough hops is a tall order...my advise is to slow down and enjoy the hoppy beers, but drink them a bit slower.......... :) , that way you can drink a few russian rivers and still walk

HAH, that it is. I must say I don't mind the #9 from Magic Hat, but don't love it either.

If you like Stone then the Levitation Ale is a great session brew at 4.4%. Lots of flavor for such a "light" beer. I think Stone Pale Ale is only around 5.4% which isn't bad.

A new one to try might be Victory Prima Pils. It's loaded with hops and it is 5.3%...not bad. It is kinda expensive around me though.

Good ole Sierra Nevada is 5.6% ...always a good bet.

Otter Creek Copper Ale is awesome @ 5.4% but may not be hoppy enough.

Wheat beers (like Franziskaner) and pilsners are great session brews for summer. I dunno if you dig wheat beers but this is a good one (4.2%) http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/312_urban_wheat_ale/16.php

And then here's one of my faves for when you are looking for something with a little more ...substance (8.5%).

Saranac High Peaks IPA

I like Butternuts porkslap pale ale for a session beer at 4.3%. It is very malty and hoppey too. I take it to the golf course and drink it like pop. I have tried them all, and I really think this is a quality product. Their IPA is 6.3 % I think they make a great wiessbier too. Dont be put off by the fact that it comes in a can. Butternut makes a quality product.

I like Weyerbacher harvest ale.

there is a local brewery in the philly area(phoenixville) - sly fox - that cans their beers....its a nice touch to see craft beers in cans in this day and age...

I like Butternuts porkslap pale ale for a session beer at 4.3%. It is very malty and hoppey too. I take it to the golf course and drink it like pop. I have tried them all, and I really think this is a quality product. Their IPA is 6.3 % I think they make a great wiessbier too. Dont be put off by the fact that it comes in a can. Butternut makes a quality product.

Good ole Sierra Nevada is 5.6% ...always a good bet.

:) Yep. my beer of choice when I'm having more than 1 or 2. I must say that SNPA just doesn't measure-up if I switch to it after having something like a Mojo or Stone 60/90. It's certainly acceptable if I start with it though.

I was at Beers of the World in Rochester today and picked up some Negra Modelo and some El Presidente from the Dominican Republic. I have a daughter there for a couple weeks and it caught my eye.

While not a huge fan, for some reason I often drank Presidente when at a bar in Penn Station (NYC). I think it was often a special there (otherwise I can't figure out why I drank that beer in that bar).

Since I don't drink many beers in one sitting, I tend to go for stronger bitter beers. But if I had to pick my all-time favorite "session beer" it would have to be the legendary (and defunct) OV Split! Why is it that OV tastes so bad in the bigger bottle (and wretched in the can) yet so good in that 6.5 oz clear bottle? Now I understand the purpose of the session beer is to allow the drinker to have many and still remain somewhat sober. Well that discounts the OV split, I guess, because I almost always got completely trashed when drinking them.

How about Victory Hop Devil IPA? I think its around 6%

I love Victory brews...their Golden monkey tripel at 10% is my all time favorite (although it might be too "sweet" for some)

Thanks for that info. You just saved me a couple of bucks.

There is a new taco stand right near the beach here, and they have Victory Golden Monkey (I think it's about $4.50 a bottle). I've been getting Negra Modelo every time I go and I think they get $4 or more for that, too. A bit pricey for a taco shack with cheap (but very good) tacos.

Today my plan was to either bring my own beers, and eat the tacos in my car OR try the Golden Monkey. But if it's fairly sweet I think I will pass. Plus I am pretty broke right now.

Thanks for that info. You just saved me a couple of bucks.

There is a new taco stand right near the beach here, and they have Victory Golden Monkey (I think it's about $4.50 a bottle). I've been getting Negra Modelo every time I go and I think they get $4 or more for that, too. A bit pricey for a taco shack with cheap (but very good) tacos.

Today my plan was to either bring my own beers, and eat the tacos in my car OR try the Golden Monkey. But if it's fairly sweet I think I will pass. Plus I am pretty broke right now.

Its a fairly typical tripel in my opinion. The selling point is the 10% ABV. Well masked and itll hit you before you know whats going on. Actually it think would do nicely on the beach.