Chan Gailey

I spoke with the former diving coach at GT yesterday. He felt Chan was a good coach at GT, but he tried to force his players into a system instead of vice versa. In college, it is easier to formulate a system for your players instead of the other way around. He felt his style should be better suited for the pros. FWIW.

That's surprising, it was mentionned many many times this offseason that one of the best thing about Gailey is coming up with offensive schemes best suited to the strenght of the players on the roster, but then again it's a former diving coach....

His players never really learned to run his offense at georgia. He was asking too much of them.

Seeing he coached at an engineering school, I would guess that the collective intelligence of that team far surpass what he has to deal with on the Bills - and that's after having the Bills team IQ skewed by the QBs

Lynch is in a class by himself which is why they are  looking to move him

I can't pretend to know anything more than the next guy - but, I'd think that the difference with the pro's is that all they are responsible for is football. So, they might not have as smart of players on the team, but they've got their whole day, every day, to learn their role. In that context I can see why discipline and good teaching are the two most important factors in success. You've got to have the discipline to make the players put in the amount of effort, and to take it seriously enough (ironic that you'd have to force these guys to work hard, when they're making millions!) - and then you've got to have the teachers in place to be able to communicate with the various players the right way, so that these guys aren't failing because they simply don't understand.

It looks like Gailey thinks this way: he's more on the discipline side, and he's brought in a bunch of coaches. Add to that the importance of staying healthy and flexible, and I think we might see some real success here. It's encouraging that the Georgia Tech teams didn't really reflect his ideal offenses. It's encouraging that he's found some success at the NFL level, and from place to place as a OC he surely was stashing away bits of insight for what he'd do better next time he had a H.C. position again. That is where I really get excited about watching him over the next few years. He's done pretty good in the past - but, I think his best coaching is going to be done now and in the next few years.

Seeing he coached at an engineering school, I would guess that the collective intelligence of that team far surpass what he has to deal with on the Bills - and that's after having the Bills team IQ skewed by the QBs

You can bet most of the football players at GT were not engineering majors.

As for Gailey, Bills fans should just accept he's our guy. He's as good as the Bills could get right now. They tried for Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden, Dungy, etc. None wanted to come here. Accept it.

That said I think he could be the best thing that has happened to the Bills in some time. I think some of the superstar coaches, like Gruden, are overrated anyway. Gailey is a guy with a proven history of taking chicken crap and turning it into chicken salad. Let's hope he still has some magic left.

PTR

As far as his stint at Georgia Tech (which is not Georgia, btw), he did well but short of spectacular there. He had some great talents, like Calvin Johnson, but just couldn't get over the hump to compete toe-to-toe with the big boys on the block. (Reggie Ball was infuriating; he always seemed to step down in the moment.) I wasn't disappointed to see Paul Johnson come to Atlanta.

http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-foot...ley_chan00.html

And yet that guy picked up things fairly quickly according to his coach. And the only people looking to move him are some fans, Nix and Gailey are in no hurry to get rid of a talented player.

And yet that guy picked up things fairly quickly according to his coach. And the only people looking to move him are some fans, Nix and Gailey are in no hurry to get rid of a talented player.

An organization that is interested in getting better can't continue to cast aside talent for chicken scratch. It hurts both the short-term and long-term.

An organization that is interested in getting better can't continue to cast aside talent for chicken scratch. It hurts both the short-term and long-term.

We agree. That is why the organization with Nix at its command won't give away Lynch because some fans don't like him anymore. Maybe Nix doesn't like him either but he sure as hell will try to get out the most from him, just by making him play or until the market is forced to give something of value in return.

Who have they cast aside for chicken scratch?

I think the diving coach opinion is as good as one of ours..not looking too much into it.

Hey South Jersey, Im from Jersey and actually writing this from Point Pleasant, New Jersey right now. Loooooovvveee Jersey.

Im from linwood, NJ which is like 5 min from ocean city. Gotta love south jersey :)

Well, I spoke with the Synchronized Swimming coach and he feels that Gailey is the best coach in GT history. So there you have it..Diving Coach vs. Synchronized Swimming coach. You be the judge.

You're either joking or the Synchronized Swimming coach is ignorant of history. No one that knew Georgia Tech football history would put Gailey ahead of Heisman (yes, that Heisman) or Dodd. His record is behind those of Johnson, O'Leary, and Alexander. He was a better coach than Lewis though. :)

I would alter that statement a bit as follows:

Gailey is a guy with a proven history of taking chicken crap and turning it into chicken salad but to date has not been able to turn it into Chicken Marsala. He's working on the recipe and given the time, he may succeed. The problem he's had to date is most of the customers don't want to give the time to perfect it.

Persoanlly I prefer a good steak!

Gailey is a guy with a proven history of taking chicken crap and turning it into chicken salad.PTR