I Think

The Jets are so overrated people forget that while their D is killer (Although a little shallow on the front 7) their QB is one that isn't a championship QB. Also questions about their RB's (Tomlinson is old, Greene might not hold up over a season, and the rest of their RB's are unproven) and O-line (Rookie at LG) factor into some concerns for the Jets.

Everyone points to those last few games but in reality they beat cincy, a surprise playoff team, sd who drops the ball every year, and split the colts with the win against backups. Granted-- they did win in, but they were no powerhouse. Wasn't it about week 12 that Ryan thought they were eliminates but screwed up the math? Again, they were in but got a lot of help - at week 14 would anyone have said superbowl contender? Do you discount a whole season for a hot month

They have the talent to win any game, but realistically won about half last year. That has to say something.

They also took on the corner who lost the playoff game for San diego, an over the hill back, and a drug suspension wr as their star additions. I'm skeptical. They've proven they CAN get there.... But consistently? Or all the way? Far from certain.

kind of funny!

.....I'll have my money on Trent and the Bills, as I think the Jets are in for a letdown this year, need another year for Sanchez to grow and for the team (and coach) to mature.

The Bills will be better this year.

Wow, really? The Jets beat the Bengals in Cinti, the Chargers in SD, and played a good game at Indy in the AFC Championship game behind a rookie QB in Sanchez last season. During this past off season, they have even managed to add more talent then they lost. They drafted players just like the Bills did in April. And you think that team and that coach needs to mature?? :bag:

The QB you have your money on in the meantime, to have a better year then Sanchez, is coming off an injury riddled season in which he had so little time and pocket awareness (not every sack and knock down were the worst OL in the NFL's fault last year) , he "earned" the kick name of "Captain Check Down." No one knows if he is even going to be the starting QB against the Dolphins on Sept. 12th, and no one will be thrilled if he manages to hold onto the starting job anyway.

And your money is on the Bills to have a better season then the Jets. Well, I sure hope you're right, but I'll keep my "money" in my wallet, thank you very much.

Everyone points to those last few games but in reality they beat cincy, a surprise playoff team, sd who drops the ball every year, and split the colts with the win against backups. Granted-- they did win in, but they were no powerhouse. Wasn't it about week 12 that Ryan thought they were eliminates but screwed up the math? Again, they were in but got a lot of help - at week 14 would anyone have said superbowl contender? Do you discount a whole season for a hot month

Of course you do. It's not the Jets fault both the Colts and Bengals laid down the last two weeks of the season, is it? Plus, we in Buffalo learned the hard way that those back up players come to play, anybody remember the Steelers game to end the 2004 season? Bledsoe and his hot Bills came home on a 6 game winning streak and the Steelers rested plenty of starters and yet the Bills got their butts kicked. The Jets still had to play those games and they won them both. When everything mattered, and all the starters played, the Jets won two road playoff games to make it to Indy for the AFC Championship game.

Sure they could have a let-down season, have less luck and suffer worse injuries then last year, and end up falling back this sesason. But don't try to minimize the fact that they got hot with some help when it counted to make the playoffs, and they took advantage of it almost all the way to the SB.

Remember the Colts SB season in '06? They had the worst running defense in the NFL, and then got hot the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season when they finally got Bob Sanders back healthy. When the playoffs started, they kicked ass right through to their Lombardi Trophy over the Bears. How many experts thought that would happen weeks earlier when Jacksonville ran through them for like 300 yards rushing on a Monday or Sunday Night TV game???

Of course you do. It's not the Jets fault both the Colts and Bengals laid down the last two weeks of the season, is it? Plus, we in Buffalo learned the hard way that those back up players come to play, anybody remember the Steelers game to end the 2004 season? Bledsoe and his hot Bills came home on a 6 game winning streak and the Steelers rested plenty of starters and yet the Bills got their butts kicked. The Jets still had to play those games and they won them both. When everything mattered, and all the starters played, the Jets won two road playoff games to make it to Indy for the AFC Championship game.

Sure they could have a let-down season, have less luck and suffer worse injuries then last year, and end up falling back this sesason. But don't try to minimize the fact that they got hot with some help when it counted to make the playoffs, and they took advantage of it almost all the way to the SB.

Remember the Colts SB season in '06? They had the worst running defense in the NFL, and then got hot the last 5 or 6 weeks of the season when they finally got Bob Sanders back healthy. When the playoffs started, they kicked ass right through to their Lombardi Trophy over the Bears. How many experts thought that would happen weeks earlier when Jacksonville ran through them for like 300 yards rushing on a Monday or Sunday Night TV game???

They have proven they can do it. 7-7 before that proves they aren't so distinctly dominant though. I think it's very early to put them in the elite. To compare that colts team to the 7-7 jets isn't fair. They were perenial contenders with one of the all time great qbs. Revis can't effect a game like manning. You can't say anyone doubted the colts could, just a matter of if they would. Without looking, I doubt that colts team lost 6 out of 7 like the jets did last year. Oh yea they only lost 4 all year and were 10-3 at the time. 14-2 the year before, and already gotten their 10th win for the 4th or 5th straight year.

As for talent

I like t jones more then shonn at starter

I like shonn over lt at backup

I like Leon over just about anyone at 3

Cromartie is soft, and a big part of why sd lost

With Holmes, is there a pair of starting wideouts with more discipline issues?

Sanchez, yes was a rookie, but was wildly inconsistent. Will he step up, or back?

The colts showed they could year in and year out, the jets HOPE they can move from getting breaks to being able to prove they deserve to be there this year. How many teams like the jets fall off after a run like that and end up playing like that 7-7 team from the other 14 games? Most.

what're you? Channing Crowder's younger sister? :wallbash:

Even though you are a franking Jets fan, I like you. That was funny. :wallbash:

Can't say i will when the Bills play the Jets 2 weeks out of the year.

So dont :thumbsup: it up. But of course you are a Jets fan and that is very hard for you guys to do.

Just ask Jimmy Spagnola.

They got very lucky last year. With that said, I do believe good teams create their own luck.

You are what your record says you are. Jets were 11-8 last year and unless they have major problems with hold outs or injuries, there is no reason to think they won't be better this year with Sanchez maturing and the addition of a few quality vets.

Why would their team go backwards from last year? More time to mature?

I can almost guarantee they will be worse than last year. They are the classic team that everyone believes is just by default going to be better than the previous year, but really, who says? I think they did as well as they could last year, and have nowhere to go but down. They'll probably be around .500 this year, as I think the Bills will also be.

One of us will be 7-9 and one will be 9-7. Who gets which record depends entirely on QB play, as another poster said, and therefore I pray Gailey is wise enough to cut Edwards loose or we will be the ones that end up 7-9 (again)

You are what your record says you are. Jets were 11-8 last year and unless they have major problems with hold outs or injuries, there is no reason to think they won't be better this year with Sanchez maturing and the addition of a few quality vets.

You are, and I'm not trying to totally discredit them. There's no reason to think they can't repeat but a lot of reasons to think they won't. The door opened and they ran through it, but you can't count on that door to be open. They have not proven they can hang with or beat the elite, just that they can beat or split with the good.