NFL.com's Lombardi ranks AFC teams.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191...making-big-jump

Buffalo Bills:

I love Bills fans because they're passionate and knowledgeable. In fact, I get more emails from Bills fans than from nearly any other team. They love their team and aren't bitter about the four Super Bowl losses. Still, fans are also realistic and know the Bills are a long way from competing for a return trip to the Super Bowl. Much of this pessimism comes from the fact that the Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995, and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Right now, they're not impressed with quarterback Trent Edwards as the man to lead the team. How could they be? When your offense is the worst in the league in red-zone scoring, plays of more than 10 yards, third-down conversions, and passing first downs made, it's not an offense that can score points quickly. The Bills were also the worst team inside their opponents' 5-yard line, scoring just four times after having 13 chances. With all the problems on offense, the defense didn't fare much better. The unit couldn't stop the run, giving up more than 156 yards per game. Switching to the 3-4 scheme won't cure this problem. It will be a cold winter in Buffalo for Bills fans, unless I'm missing a reason to believe.

REALLY??? We as fans are not bitter about LOSING 4 (FOUR) SUPER BOWLS????? :thumbsup:

The list is quite accurate actually, with the exception of putting Miami in the Super Bowl contender ranking and the Pats and Jets below them?

REALLY??? We as fans are not bitter about LOSING 4 (FOUR) SUPER BOWLS????? :thumbsup:

I'm not either. It was a great run, with a better coach we'd have won one or two of those, especially the Giants game, and the team probably did more with what it had than other teams competing at that level. The Cowboys were stocked, we were solid, but didn't have their talent.

Either way, we put up our best and lost. That's better than continually putting up garbage and thinking that we're going to win.

If there's a reason for fans to be bitter it's what's gone on since then, not because of then.

i was bitter when they re-signed muckead Jauron. superbowls be damned, that was eons ago.

I've been bitter since they keep taking retreads and retards and inexperienced coaches and GMs and trying to tell us what great moves they are.

I'm not either. It was a great run, with a better coach we'd have won one or two of those, especially the Giants game, and the team probably did more with what it had than other teams competing at that level. The Cowboys were stocked, we were solid, but didn't have their talent.

Either way, we put up our best and lost. That's better than continually putting up garbage and thinking that we're going to win.

If there's a reason for fans to be bitter it's what's gone on since then, not because of then.

Might be the most accurate line I have seen on TBD in quite some time. Some people don't get the bitterness though?

2. The schedule- I don't think they're going to win a divisional game with the other 3 teams all improving more than the Bills

Actually I think the cheaters are going downhill and did not improve at all this off season (at least on paper).

And I also hold out (unrealistic?) hope that the fish will be ripe for the taking opening day and we could get lucky and surprise them.

But otherwise I have to agree with you, unfortunately.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191...making-big-jump

Buffalo Bills:

I love Bills fans because they're passionate and knowledgeable. In fact, I get more emails from Bills fans than from nearly any other team. They love their team and aren't bitter about the four Super Bowl losses. Still, fans are also realistic and know the Bills are a long way from competing for a return trip to the Super Bowl. Much of this pessimism comes from the fact that the Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995, and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Right now, they're not impressed with quarterback Trent Edwards as the man to lead the team. How could they be? When your offense is the worst in the league in red-zone scoring, plays of more than 10 yards, third-down conversions, and passing first downs made, it's not an offense that can score points quickly. The Bills were also the worst team inside their opponents' 5-yard line, scoring just four times after having 13 chances. With all the problems on offense, the defense didn't fare much better. The unit couldn't stop the run, giving up more than 156 yards per game. Switching to the 3-4 scheme won't cure this problem. It will be a cold winter in Buffalo for Bills fans, unless I'm missing a reason to believe.

REALLY??? We as fans are not bitter about LOSING 4 (FOUR) SUPER BOWLS????? :unsure:

I stopped being bitter about it sometime in the late 90s. Booze and loose women helped.

With the Bills going 7-9 three years in a row and 6-10 with Dick Jauron & Co, the Bills have nowhere to go but up.

1. One of the worst coaching staffs in Bills history is no longer in charge. Jauron didn't play to win, he played not to lose. We all remember his famous quote: "It's hard to win in the NFL". Everytime the Bills won the toss, he deferred to the 2nd quarter. How many times did we see Jauron challenge the wrong call and not challenge the call that could have been overturned? How many games every season over the last 4 years were lost due to bad coaching decisions...at least 10 (my count is 14).

2. The new 3-4 defense. Gone is the horrible, bend-don't-break Tampa 2 defense. Our DE's ranged from the 240's to the 260's last season, this year they range from 285 to 300. Plus, we have a 318 lbs NT in the middle (Troup) and Kyle Williams. Another change, no more tweener safeties as LB. Our LB's went from the 220's to 250 (Mitchell) to an average of 240-260's. What does bigger players on defense mean...more tackles. Last year, our run defense ranked #30 giving up 156.3 yards per game. The Bills let 4 teams rush for over 200 yards against them, including a 300 game vs the Jets. The run defense will be much improved to go along with the #2 ranked pass defense.

3. Injuries. Nix & Gailey hired 2 strength & conditioning coordinators, one for the linemen, the other for WR's & DB's. In the first OTA, Bills players came in and saw all 12 TV's were gone and the players were expected to come in and work. With the players being more physically prepared, there will be less injuries on the team.

4. Hiring an offensive minded coach (Gailey) that has experience. Now a lot of fans don't like the choice, because Gailey was canned before the start of the season in KC, but realisticly, look at the talent level on KC. The previous Bills OC's (Fairchild, Schonert & Van Pelt) didn't have much experience or any experience at all as an OC. Plus, Jauron wanted a dulled down, pop-warner type offense. Gailey plans to tailor his offense to the strengths of his players. Gailey also plans to put bigger WR's on the outside, to outleap and outmuscle DB's. Jauron & co had 5'10" Evans & 5'9" Parrish constantly lined up on the outside, which is part of the reason why both were WR's were ineffective. Both Parrish & Evans would work better in the slot or the inside.

5. C.J. Spiller. Spiller can be used in so many ways: Kick Return, Punt Return, RB, WR. If the O-line struggles again, Spiller can be a good relief valve to whoever the QB is by throwing a screen or dump off pass.

The O-line is still a big question. But, having new strength & conditioning coordinators should help keep these guys healthy and hopefully they can build on some consistentcy & chemistry together. Plus, after having Jauron & co, one of the worst coaching staffs on Bills history running this team, anyone in this league would have been an underachiever on this offense. QB & WR's are another question. With the QB position (refer back to the last statement about Jauron), also look at superbowl winning QB Drew Brees. In Brees' career at SD, Brees had 31 games where he threw for under 200 yards, including 6 games where he threw for under 100 yards. Some guys are just late bloomers, maybe Edwards and/or Brohm are late bloomers as well. We'll all find out this season. Realisticly, the 2010 Bills will not win the Superbowl and their offense won't crack the top 20, but the 2010 Bills are headed in the right direction one step at a time.

I mean, this is more piss poor reporting IMO. The Bills are not going to the playoffs this year. But, if you read these articles, you would think the Bills are a 2-14 team. They finished 6-10 last year. They had 0 production from Lynch, an awful coaching situation, a rookie O-Line and a starting QB who was injured all season long. Yet, they won 6 games, beat the Jets and probably could have beat the Patriots in week 1. Easily could have been an 8-8 team. Who have they lost since last year? TO and Schobel. I don't think the loss of those two guys makes the Bills a 2-3 win team. Now, of course the AFC East has been greatly improved. And the Bills were left in the dust. But, I think people are underestimating the potential of this team. Gailey is going to get the most out of that offense. Spiller will add a new dynamic. The drop off from TO to Johnson/Hardy is going to be noticeable, but nothing too immense. Nelson is going to have more balls thrown his way, which opens up a whole new element to the passing game. The 3-4 is going to be a transition. But our depth at CB is going to make up the difference IMO and allow our linebackers to blitz more. On paper we might not have the personnel for the 3-4. But, the system definitely makes more sense for Maybin, Ellis and some other young guys on the roster. I think Troupe is going to show a lot of upside in year 1.

So, in short, I think its crazy that people are so ready to discount the Bills. I'm all for it though. I'd rather have everyone go into the season with 0 expectations and be impressed; instead of coming into the season with high expectations and be let down (like last year).

3 Breakout players next year?

-Maybin

-McKelvin

-Nelson. Watch.

Top rookie?

Easley.

I agree that it's piss poor journalism by Lombardi. A Majority of sports reporters are saying the Bills are going to be bad because our first 2 draft picks weren't QB & LT.

My take on the rankings. The exact ranking and the teams a few slots ahead or behind us is not that important to me. We can make valid points about ranking us ahead of some teams. Your example of the Chiefs is a good one.

I look at where we are ranked as a "whole" by the experts. The experts have us in the bottom tier of the NFL. IMO, that is most likely the case and a more important issue than looking at one or two teams we may be better than..

An excellent comment. I don't often agree with you, as you tend to interpret the state of the Bills a little too pessimistically for my taste. But I agree that most writers currently have us being near the bottom. But recognize that this makes sense for writers to do. They're trying to predict the future and naturally they're going to rely on past performance or rely on selling hope via splashy changes (like free agency signings). Our past isn't exemplary but isn't as bad as they are generally stating, and our free agency wasn't splashy.

But most importantly, IMO, we also ignored the "common wisdom" of what the media said we needed and didn't draft a QB or LT. So we're getting punished for ignoring their wisdom.

So you can't put TOO much stock in what the talking heads say, especially when we've given them an easy reason to not like us.

Bitter? Not at all. A little bit disappointed to be sure.

I'll say what I've said since the SB run ended. I'd rather the Bills be 0-5 than 0-4, as it means they went to yet another SB.

I think Lombardi is right on the money, with his evaluation of Bills' fans.

An excellent comment. I don't often agree with you, as you tend to interpret the state of the Bills a little too pessimistically for my taste. But I agree that most writers currently have us being near the bottom. But recognize that this makes sense for writers to do. They're trying to predict the future and naturally they're going to rely on past performance or rely on selling hope via splashy changes (like free agency signings). Our past isn't exemplary but isn't as bad as they are generally stating, and our free agency wasn't splashy.

But most importantly, IMO, we also ignored the "common wisdom" of what the media said we needed and didn't draft a QB or LT. So we're getting punished for ignoring their wisdom.

So you can't put TOO much stock in what the talking heads say, especially when we've given them an easy reason to not like us.

Because the Bills didn't take a QB or a LT early in this draft, they'll be going into the 2010 season without a QB or a LT. Not exactly a recipe for success on offense.

Long-term it's quite possible that their drafting strategy will work out well. For example, if they take Ponder in the 2011 draft, and follow that up by trading back into the first for a LT, they might end up with a significantly better QB/LT combination than would have been the case had they gone after those positions this year. Plus they will have added Spiller (best player available when we picked), and Troupe (who hopefully will become a first-rate NT).

But the article is about this upcoming season, not the long-term. And in the upcoming season, the Bills very likely will be hurt by poor play at LT and at QB.

I mean, this is more piss poor reporting IMO. The Bills are not going to the playoffs this year. But, if you read these articles, you would think the Bills are a 2-14 team. They finished 6-10 last year. They had 0 production from Lynch, an awful coaching situation, a rookie O-Line and a starting QB who was injured all season long. Yet, they won 6 games, beat the Jets and probably could have beat the Patriots in week 1. Easily could have been an 8-8 team. Who have they lost since last year? TO and Schobel. I don't think the loss of those two guys makes the Bills a 2-3 win team. Now, of course the AFC East has been greatly improved. And the Bills were left in the dust. But, I think people are underestimating the potential of this team. Gailey is going to get the most out of that offense. Spiller will add a new dynamic. The drop off from TO to Johnson/Hardy is going to be noticeable, but nothing too immense. Nelson is going to have more balls thrown his way, which opens up a whole new element to the passing game. The 3-4 is going to be a transition. But our depth at CB is going to make up the difference IMO and allow our linebackers to blitz more. On paper we might not have the personnel for the 3-4. But, the system definitely makes more sense for Maybin, Ellis and some other young guys on the roster. I think Troupe is going to show a lot of upside in year 1.

So, in short, I think its crazy that people are so ready to discount the Bills. I'm all for it though. I'd rather have everyone go into the season with 0 expectations and be impressed; instead of coming into the season with high expectations and be let down (like last year).

3 Breakout players next year?

-Maybin

-McKelvin

-Nelson. Watch.

Top rookie?

Easley.

:unsure: Good Post!

If our 3-4 Defense is horrible and allows ANOTHER 156 rushing yards a game and our O-line is equally as impotent, then one has to assume with better coaching, a dynamic player like Spiller and a new Offense that will take advantage of our players strengths, we should AT LEAST equal last years wins of six. ---I feel the addition of Spiller trumps the Loss of T.O. (I know, I know....different positions all together) but Spiller will command attention and game planning greater than or equal to T.O. especially because he can run AND catch the ball.

If we won six lat year we CAN win eight this year. I'd like to think come December our starters will be playing, not third stringers or walk ons because of injury. That HAS to account for some additional wins as well.

Bills go 9-7 first year under Gailey and rely on a Texans, Jets or Cincinnatti loss late in the year to garner a wild card spot.

Just my thoughts.

Ok it might just be me.... but why do we continue to be ranked lower... better yet way lower then the chiefs when we destroyed them in 2008 and beat them last year... So if they are on their way to being a good team then what are we?

i would rather be ranked low.maybe we could squeak out a few wins before other teams catch on.plus being ranked that low we have no where to go but up,up and away GO BILLS

Thanks for your comments. I am trying to "tone down" my negative responses.