Yahoo's Jason Cole rates NFL LB Corps

Kavika might start in the middle. Maybe not, but it's certainly possible, though Andra Davis is also very possible.

The problem is that our ROLB, the crucial pass rusher position in 3 - 4 defenses, has Schobel, who may or may not show up and has never played the position before, Maybin and a bunch of extremely late-round rookies and UDFAs.

We would have dropped down a bit if this guy had caught up with our outside backers situation.

Thanks for the link, OP.

I'd normally be excited about a review that put the Bills LB core at 9th in the league, but in this case, they are vastly overrated by this columnist. I would love to believe that this new 3-4 setup combined with an effective coaching staff will turn the corner for the LB core. Reality and past history tell me that teams who make the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 struggle like hell the first two or three years. This isn't new news for anyone at all. In light of that and the fact that we are still short quality personnel at key positions, my expectations for the LBs is lower than most. Between Maybin and Kawika Mitchell, who, IMHO, most of last season looked as though he was disinterested and may be closer to the end of his career, they appear as though they may have another difficult year stopping the run. Frankly, it could be a brutal year. I intensely hope I'm wrong about this.

I'd normally be excited about a review that put the Bills LB core at 9th in the league, but in this case, they are vastly overrated by this columnist. I would love to believe that this new 3-4 setup combined with an effective coaching staff will turn the corner for the LB core. Reality and past history tell me that teams who make the switch from 4-3 to 3-4 struggle like hell the first two or three years. This isn't new news for anyone at all. In light of that and the fact that we are still short quality personnel at key positions, my expectations for the LBs is lower than most. Between Maybin and Kawika Mitchell, who, IMHO, most of last season looked as though he was disinterested and may be closer to the end of his career, they appear as though they may have another difficult year stopping the run. Frankly, it could be a brutal year. I intensely hope I'm wrong about this.

That's news to everyone who has seen teams transition in the last 5 years. Teams that change historically do very well in their first years, so I have no idea what you are blathering about.

There is a debt owed by the Ravens linebackers to their front which has included over time Siragusa, Ngata and others who keep the linemen off them so they can run free and make plays. The Bills are not there yet but it will be interesting to see what Troupe can do to help this. The defensive lineman make the linebackers like the qb makes the receivers.

What's really surprising to me is that Cole, a long time Fish Lovah (he used to write for the Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel), rated the Bills higher than his beloved Dolphins.

Once a Fish Lovah, always a Fish Lovah.

So his rating is based on:

Poz who has never played this position before

Kelsay who has never played this position before

Mitchell who probably won't start and I do not believe that he has played this position before

Schobel who has never played this position before and probably never will play it.

Might just as well make them a top five.

So his rating is based on:

Poz who has never played this position before

Kelsay who has never played this position before

Mitchell who probably won't start and I do not believe that he has played this position before

Schobel who has never played this position before and probably never will play it.

Might just as well make them a top five.

Kelsay has been a solid rusher from the end spot though.

Wait, he has? :bag:

If Schobel were to stay on, he would have a point. As it is, the potential nightmare of schobel blitzing from a linebacker position is going to be filled by someone offenses wont worry about.

There is a debt owed by the Ravens linebackers to their front which has included over time Siragusa, Ngata and others who keep the linemen off them so they can run free and make plays. The Bills are not there yet but it will be interesting to see what Troupe can do to help this. The defensive lineman make the linebackers like the qb makes the receivers.

Too true. I remember when I wanted the Bills to draft Ngata, there were a few Ray Ray's articles in the net, begging Ozzy Newsome to draft big fata Ngata so that he could make playes at the LOS and not 10 yards downfield.

I'm intrigued by Troupe, I was watching the East West Shrine game, he looks good, though his playing time was not ideal. If he can produce in his rookie year this defense will be a step closer to being solid.

New orleans went from 4-3 to 3-4 at halftime of the superbowl. I think they ended up ok.

If Schobel were to stay on, he would have a point. As it is, the potential nightmare of schobel blitzing from a linebacker position is going to be filled by someone offenses wont worry about.

Trust , Nfl offenses didnt worry about mr softy Schoebal . Offenses havent worried about any Bills defensive player since Bryce Paup and Bruce Smith

Trust , Nfl offenses didnt worry about mr softy Schoebal . Offenses havent worried about any Bills defensive player since Bryce Paup and Bruce Smith

What about when Schobel was the sack leader of the nfl in 2006 and when the bills had the 2nd best ranked defense in 2003- 2004? Did offenses really go "2nd best defense in the league? PFFFFFt! let's take the week off boys!"

You clearly have underestimated Schobel as well as you're likely to have a rather low comprehension of the game. Schobel was not a dominate player, but he was a very good player.