our new defense

I was reading the Brown article on our 3rd nickel cornerback this year, and it jumped out at me how deep our secondary is. Safety is really solid with Byrd and Wilson as two ballhawks, and Whitner and Scott as real good against the run - and then you've got McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Youboty, Corner - and even Seargeant and Lankster at cornerback.

With all this talent - we could let these guys play a lot more man-to-man coverage this year and have a defense similar to the Jets. I think we're going to be able to devote a lot more personnel packages to stopping the run and blitzing - because our secondary is so good. What do you guys think?

All depends on whether or not we force offenses into less manageable down/distance situations.

That said, I have a hunch we'll be seeing more man coverages this year. But we'll still play our share of cover-2.

GO BILLS!!!

I was reading the Brown article on our 3rd nickel cornerback this year, and it jumped out at me how deep our secondary is. Safety is really solid with Byrd and Wilson as two ballhawks, and Whitner and Scott as real good against the run - and then you've got McKelvin, McGee, Florence, Youboty, Corner - and even Seargeant and Lankster at cornerback.

With all this talent - we could let these guys play a lot more man-to-man coverage this year and have a defense similar to the Jets. I think we're going to be able to devote a lot more personnel packages to stopping the run and blitzing - because our secondary is so good. What do you guys think?

Agreed. On paper, I believe that our secondary is better than the Jets. It's just that taken as a whole, the rest of the Jets D was much better than ours last year- not to mention, the coaching. Let's just hope that we can be at least average against the run because with our Pass D, I believe we will be a top 10 unit!

You guys do have a helluva secondary. I think your defense's ceiling is going to be dependent on the contributions of one particular rookie: Terrell Troup. Nose tackles make or break a 3/4. When we first switched and had Dewayne Robertson, we stuffed the run like a sieve. It was awful. Kris Jenkins made all the difference in the world. You need two things to make the 3/4 work: stout guy up the middle and a good play-caller. Other than that, I'd say you guys have a pretty good D, I'm not so sure how effective tampa-2 LBs are going to be in a scheme where they're taking on guards, but I've seen some undersized LBs excel in a 3/4. We'll see.

You guys do have a helluva secondary. I think your defense's ceiling is going to be dependent on the contributions of one particular rookie: Terrell Troup. Nose tackles make or break a 3/4. When we first switched and had Dewayne Robertson, we stuffed the run like a sieve. It was awful. Kris Jenkins made all the difference in the world. You need two things to make the 3/4 work: stout guy up the middle and a good play-caller. Other than that, I'd say you guys have a pretty good D, I'm not so sure how effective tampa-2 LBs are going to be in a scheme where they're taking on guards, but I've seen some undersized LBs excel in a 3/4. We'll see.

WHAT! A sensible reply from the enemy?!?! Maybe you can teach the Dol-Phag Trolls how to post on other teams message boards. You're ok in my book!

Im not seeing how we are really solid at safety. Byrd had a great rookie debut, he has a great nose for the ball and he got lucky a few times, he leaves very much to be desired in tackling and run support but he was a rookie and lets hope he improves. As for Wilson, Scott, and Whitner they have done little more than show they are average safeties. The success of our secondary will greatly depend on the new 3-4 defense creating pressure.

I think Kyle Williams is going to be a better nose tackle then peopleare giving him credit for. Hes a tuff guy that rarely gets knocked off the ball. 20 lbs is all that keeps him from weighing up where other nose tackles rank.

Outside of Ellison and DiGiorgio (both of whom were in the 220's# range), none of the other guys were "Tampa 2" LB's. They were merely LB's who were put into the Tampa 2. Now there won't be any small LB's on defense for the Bills, and the DE's will be 3-4 sized DE's. And yes a lot will depend on Troup, or how Kyle Williams works as a 1-gap NT.

Outside of Ellison and DiGiorgio (both of whom were in the 220's# range), none of the other guys were "Tampa 2" LB's. They were merely LB's who were put into the Tampa 2. Now there won't be any small LB's on defense for the Bills, and the DE's will be 3-4 sized DE's. And yes a lot will depend on Troup, or how Kyle Williams works as a 1-gap NT.

Poz isn't on the small side? :rolleyes:

I think Kyle Williams is going to be a better nose tackle then peopleare giving him credit for. Hes a tuff guy that rarely gets knocked off the ball. 20 lbs is all that keeps him from weighing up where other nose tackles rank.

If Kyle Williams is our starting NT, I thinks its going to be a very long year for the defense. He was barely adequate at holding point of attack consistently in a one gap defense, were he just had to attack that whole. Now he will have to control the center and be able to shed them to cover either gap, or tie up center and guard to free up a lb consistently. Hes just not that type of player. If hes at nose, the LB's will have to be able to go through linemen to make tackles, which is not ideal for that style of defense. Even Ray Lewis looked ordinary when he didn't have a big NT in front of him to keep him clean. I am not saying he is not a good player, just that I think he is a lousy fit for this type of defense IMO.

If Kyle Williams is our starting NT, I thinks its going to be a very long year for the defense. He was barely adequate at holding point of attack consistently in a one gap defense, were he just had to attack that whole. Now he will have to control the center and be able to shed them to cover either gap, or tie up center and guard to free up a lb consistently. Hes just not that type of player. If hes at nose, the LB's will have to be able to go through linemen to make tackles, which is not ideal for that style of defense. Even Ray Lewis looked ordinary when he didn't have a big NT in front of him to keep him clean. I am not saying he is not a good player, just that I think he is a lousy fit for this type of defense IMO.

I agree with you.

I would also like to add that I don't expect much contibution from Troup. I think the guy could be pretty good with time but statistics show young rookie NT have a somewhat difficult transition making an immediate impact on the NFL field. Example BJ Raji out of BC. Very limited production last year and he was the talk of the draft last year. Also, Sedric Ellis although a DT had a very limited impact on the field too.

Additionally, Troup played at a small school where the competition is weaker, I just don't see much immediate production from this guy. I think we are making a big mistake if we are counting on this guy to stop the run. I think we are still in trouble as far as stoppiing the run goes...

All depends on whether or not we force offenses into less manageable down/distance situations.

That said, I have a hunch we'll be seeing more man coverages this year. But we'll still play our share of cover-2.

GO BILLS!!!

What he said.