Couple thoughts on qb Fitz

This what I think of our QBs. I know most will not agree.

Fitz: He's not that bad. Bad and injured O-line made it harder for him. But the Indy game showed me he can make throws when you give him time.,

Trent: Used to be a terrific QB. His concussion messed him up. Maybe he just lost confidence. Either way the switch went "off" after the AZ game.

Brohm: No real opinion. It's stupid to judge him on the ATL game being literally thrown into an NFL game. But I thought his passes had zip.

I don't care who starts at QB as long as they get the job done.

PTR

+1

If everything I've read about Chan Gailey is to be believed then the Bills are installing a run first offense with a short to middle passing game, with a high priority on accuracy.

If that is the case then Edwards should be starting, then Brohm as back up and Fitz as the odd man out. Levi Brown will be 3rd string this year and learning as he goes this year, JMO.

Whomever starts the Bills should be much more exciting on offense with Spiller and Jackson taking turns in the slot and Gailey calling plays and setting up the game plans.

Fitz: He's not that bad. Bad and injured O-line made it harder for him. But the Indy game showed me he can make throws when you give him time.,

Another plus. Fitz can play in a blizzard. One o the greatest knocks on Trent. I don't think Trent would have done Jack $H&T in that game. Fitz played great (granted against subs). He didn't even look cold. Playing in bad weather is something a Bills QB HAS TO DO. Fitz can, Trent can't. Not sure about Brohm or Brown yet.

Another Fitz thread... :devil:

Further proof of what 10 years of non-playoff football does to Fan expectation...I'm beat up too, but I can't believe how far the bar has been lowered for some Bills Fans...I realize we don't have the best options this year, but a 5 year Vet on his 3rd Team with a Career 67 QB Rating?

Come on Folks...Really? :w00t:

Another Fitz thread... :w00t:

Further proof of what 10 years of non-playoff football does to Fan expectation...I'm beat up too, but I can't believe how far the bar has been lowered for some Bills Fans...I realize we don't have the best options this year, but a 5 year Vet on his 3rd Team with a Career 67 QB Rating?

+1 :devil:

Another Fitz thread... :devil:

Well you can't exactly go to Wal-Mart and pick up another John Elway or Jim Kelly. And spare me the free agency/trade blather. Nix tried to get McNabb. He didn't want to play here. (Like his coach.) And any other reject (Campbell) that changed teams would not have been enough of an improvement for what it would have cost us.

This team can still get a lot better with coaching and game-planning. We won 6 last year somehow.

PTR

:devil::w00t:

We'll just have to roll along and enjoy the good days (plays?).

The longterm QB answer isn't a Bill today. One of the guys will show he's gonna be this year's man, but seriously we don't have a Dennis Shaw, let alone a Ferguson, Kemp or Kelly. We can keep going round and round on which of the three (four?) will start against Miami. I hope, whoever it is, they do well. But, I'm done losing sleep over the QB spot (and the O-line, for that matter!). I think I'm done with Trent vs. Brohm vs. Fitzpatrick threads for a while, too.

Gailey will do as well as can be done with this roster. There is going to be some fun football in Buffalo this year. No sense in spending the next 7 weeks saying the same things we've been reading and writing since the draft.

If you keep doing what you've always done . . .

Don't know how many wins this will all translate into, but they'll be much closer to worth the $250 for NFL Sunday Ticket.

:w00t: :w00t:

I really like Fitz and always defended the signing. Fitz is good at what he is: a backup that can step in and win a game or 2. But he isn't a long term starter.

I'll tell you this though. If Edwards has Fitz' swagger, we'd have our franchise QB. Fitz isn't the msot skilled guy in the world, but he battles. He's Flutie lite.

If everything I've read about Chan Gailey is to be believed then the Bills are installing a run first offense with a short to middle passing game, with a high priority on accuracy.

If that is the case then Edwards should be starting, then Brohm as back up and Fitz as the odd man out. Levi Brown will be 3rd string this year and learning as he goes this year, JMO.

Whomever starts the Bills should be much more exciting on offense with Spiller and Jackson taking turns in the slot and Gailey calling plays and setting up the game plans.

if Gaileys is this offensive genius that everyone claims, then he will be installing a pass first offense, spreading the field vertically and horizontally.  The current NFL rules highly favor passing the ball and contending teams need to be doing the same.

Spiller and Parrish have the ability to provide big plays playing out of space. Trying to pound the ball is the worst use of the talent on the Bills. 

The QB that can effectively use the entire field (quickly) will be the starter 

Well you can't exactly go to Wal-Mart and pick up another John Elway or Jim Kelly. And spare me the free agency/trade blather. Nix tried to get McNabb. He didn't want to play here. (Like his coach.) And any other reject (Campbell) that changed teams would not have been enough of an improvement for what it would have cost us.

This team can still get a lot better with coaching and game-planning. We won 6 last year somehow.

PTR

The gap between Jim Kelly, John Elway and Fitz is Grand Canyon-like...All the Coaching in the world is not going to make Fitz THAT much better...Better?...maybe...Good enough? Doubtfully...

Who said anything about Free Agency anyway? I don't care how The Bills do better than Fitz...But they DEFINITELY need to do better...All I'm saying is aim higher Folks...Aim higher, expect better than a QB like Fitz who is clearly not the answer to any question regarding a Starting NFL QB...Unless the question is this...Who is happy with a Starting QB that has a career 67 QB Rating and 6 more INT's than TD's in over 700 career attempts?

Just saying... :rolleyes:

if Gaileys is this offensive genius that everyone claims, then he will be installing a pass first offense, spreading the field vertically and horizontally. The current NFL rules highly favor passing the ball and contending teams need to be doing the same.

Spiller and Parrish have the ability to provide big plays playing out of space. Trying to pound the ball is the worst use of the talent on the Bills.

The QB that can effectively use the entire field (quickly) will be the starter

ummm, not with the current O line...

Running a spread offense with the players currently on the roster will get the QB killed, whoever it is. kinda like Jauron trying to run the "no huddle" last season.

My thoughts are that he is keeping Marshawn Lynch for a reason, and trying to pound the ball might just be more effective then quick incomplete passes as the Bills have one solid WR on the team at this point

This what I think of our QBs. I know most will not agree.

Trent: Used to be a terrific QB. His concussion messed him up. Maybe he just lost confidence. Either way the switch went "off" after the AZ game.

Brohm: No real opinion. It's stupid to judge him on the ATL game being literally thrown into an NFL game. But I thought his passes had zip.

I don't care who starts at QB as long as they get the job done.

PTR

I almost NEVER agree with you....But this time I agree 100%. In fact, I would add to Brohm: There's a hope here, because he had a great college career.

Thats all.

Wow, I can't believe how many have chimed in with "he's not that bad", with respect to his accuracy.

I give you all that he can make a nice throw here and here, but sandwiched in between the good throws are some really poor ones (sometimes wide, often short and in the ground, etc). The poor throws outnumbered the good ones.

....and he does force passes and no excuses for poor protection, etc. For far too long we've made excuses for our QB's. Perform to the caliber required, or find a new job. Fitz is a semi-capable backup at best.

ummm, not with the current O line...

Running a spread offense with the players currently on the roster will get the QB killed, whoever it is. kinda like Jauron trying to run the "no huddle" last season.

My thoughts are that he is keeping Marshawn Lynch for a reason, and trying to pound the ball might just be more effective then quick incomplete passes as the Bills have one solid WR on the team at this point

Gailey will pass more than run

if this is such a rebuilding year, they should be building an offense for the future.

running a plodding run oriented offense is just more Dick ball - and will serve to keep games close - but will do nothing to build a future contender - where passing the ball is critical to scoring points 

even if he doesnt start (i believe he should) Fitz is so smart he will be standing next to and giving Chan ideas. he has a rocket arm on the slants and is not afraid to chuck it into the middle. the most decisive of the three, although havnt seen much brohm.

i dont see all the non accuracy you all see in fitzm, although i feel edwards is pretty inaccurate and throws a "soft" ball, and tends towards "locking on" to a reciever.

Fitzy can be Glitzy, while Edwards is Ritzy. Brohm on the other hand is a bit Ditzy. I say we call back Flutie, even though he's Bitzy.

I give you all that he can make a nice throw here and here, but sandwiched in between the good throws are some really poor ones (sometimes wide, often short and in the ground, etc). The poor throws outnumbered the good ones.

Last year Fitz' completion percentage was 55.9%. 4th grade math skills tell me he threw more good passes than bad.

He's not accurate and he may not even be very good. But judging from last season's performance, he's the best we got. Wishing that someone will get back to alleged pre concussion form or that someone who lost his confidence in Green Bay will be better may feel good, but I fear it won't get us very many wins.

Fitz' football smarts, cunning, LEADERSHIP, take charge attitude, go for the jugular attitude, and running a real offense will help us in the win category than anyone else we got.

This is how it looks to me now. After 3 pre season games, I'll re asses and support whoever lines up against the Fish. I'll be there at that game and hope at this point it's Fitz.

Gailey will pass more than run

if this is such a rebuilding year, they should be building an offense for the future.

running a plodding run oriented offense is just more Dick ball - and will serve to keep games close - but will do nothing to build a future contender - where passing the ball is critical to scoring points

On the contrary, Jauron tried to run the "no huddle" and then realized he couldn't with the current personnel. He tried to throw more then run and it didn't work. Steve Fairchild was hired from Mike Martz's staff and was supposed to implement the greatest show on turf to Buffalo, when he quit Jauron replaced him with Turk Schonert the QB coach because he wanted to retain the same offense. What he didn't understand was that Schonert was a moron and wasn't good enough to call plays and set up offensive game plans.

2009 441 passing attempts vs 424 rushing attempts

2008 479 passing attempts vs 439 rushing attempts

BTW, those numbers above reflect a balanced offense to a degree, what makes those offenses so fail is the amount of incompletions each year...

Yea, I'm all for a high powered,high scoring passing offense, just where do you expect to find it?

One good stable receiver and nobody opposite him to take coverages away to free either of them up isn't going to open up anything. Also, what happens when opposing DB's stay at the line and jam the WR's?

The Bills have no deep passing game as the QB's won't have time to take 5-7 step drops, plus they still have no dominate receiving tight end.

The Bills currently have more talent on offense at the RB position then the WR-TE positions, they would be wise to use it.