Chan's Impact on the Bills...

Heitz

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...fa-602ae77c45d7

Watching this you can't help but get a *little* excited for this year (even if you're super pessimistic). Just having a competent head coach and staff should make us a better team!

I really like the way that Chan is THE leader of the O, no talking to multiple people that aren't on the same page, no single formation watered down plays, no no-huddle. I really think that we're going to surprise this year - I'm not claiming playoffs, but I'm not ruling them out either, Any Given Sunday...

There's also a new clip up on 'Scoe too:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...b9-3cc072d2e311

I also think that the offense will benefit from Gailey this year. Even before this specific video on BB.com, Trent Edwards has always voiced his preference for only 1 "go to guy" for questions. The bottom line is that Gailey has coached productive offenses wherever he has been.

The no huddle was poopified last year. We couldnt figure out what to do with a huddle, nevermind without one.

That was the biggest problem. If we had happened to have a competent team last year where most players had at least 5 years experience, the no huddle probably would have worked. But with the rookie-ish team we had and the offensive coordinator we didnt, it was pretty much destined for failure.

From the sounds of it, Chan is a breath of fresh air in our coaching office. Will definitely be interesting to see what happens this year.

Gailey is an improvement over DJ, but it's not hard to be better than the former coach. And when I hear a coach talk about teaching, it's an indication they're very young. Take away the bullhorn and punishment laps, and it's 2001 all over again.

Just being a former OC and having 2 seasons of HC experience does not mean the results will magically be different in '10. They still have huge question marks at QB, WR2, LT, RT, NT, and 2x OLB.

I also think that the offense will benefit from Gailey this year. Even before this specific video on BB.com, Trent Edwards has always voiced his preference for only 1 "go to guy" for questions. The bottom line is that Gailey has coached productive offenses wherever he has been.

Can I assume by your screen name you're a guy?

Not that there's anything wrong with that, if your not..

Welcome to the board!

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...fa-602ae77c45d7

Watching this you can't help but get a *little* excited for this year (even if you're super pessimistic). Just having a competent head coach and staff should make us a better team!

I really like the way that Chan is THE leader of the O, no talking to multiple people that aren't on the same page, no single formation watered down plays, no no-huddle. I really think that we're going to surprise this year - I'm not claiming playoffs, but I'm not ruling them out either, Any Given Sunday...

There's also a new clip up on 'Scoe too:

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-lounge/v...b9-3cc072d2e311

You know you couldn't have said that any better!!! What the Bills lacked the last few years and even more last year was confidence. They lost hope and belief in themselves and it showed and hurt them a lot. There are two types of people out there, one who leads and one who follows. The Bills have it right by getting Chan. He can lead, and he's a natural at it. This is why Bill C. was so high on him, because he knows Chan can lead and he will. I myslef do not believe playoffs this year, but do believe we kick the s*&t out of the pats. I also think we will be a lot closer than people think, and we just might sneak in there(playoffs). Very well written on your part, and must agree with you.

Gailey is an improvement over DJ, but it's not hard to be better than the former coach. And when I hear a coach talk about teaching, it's an indication they're very young. Take away the bullhorn and punishment laps, and it's 2001 all over again.

Just being a former OC and having 2 seasons of HC experience does not mean the results will magically be different in '10. They still have huge question marks at QB, WR2, LT, RT, NT, and 2x OLB.

I couldn't have said it any better. Very good post. With that said, let's all hope Chan can lead us to a playoff appearance and more...

After I saw all those wobbly passes I was no longer excited. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are you serious?!...take away the bullhorns and laps and we're back to greg williams?

There IS NO COMPARISON from Chan to Williams. Our new coach is head and shoulders above what we've had here in a LONG time. I'm NOT drinking the kool-aid. I am making rational observations from watching and listening to chan. And I like everything I have seen so far. yes, anyone is better that dj and gw, but chan is the man!

There IS NO COMPARISON from Chan to Williams. Our new coach is head and shoulders above what we've had here in a LONG time. I'm NOT drinking the kool-aid. I am making rational observations from watching and listening to chan. And I like everything I have seen so far. yes, anyone is better that dj and gw, but chan is the man!

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am curious as to what makes Gailey "head and shoulders above what we've had here in a LONG time" in your eyes. You come to this conclusion from watching his press conferences? Or maybe you were a cowgirls fan for the 2 years that Gailey was the HC there? What makes Chan "the man"?

The no huddle was poopified last year. We couldnt figure out what to do with a huddle, nevermind without one.

Jauron had absolutely no understanding of the "no huddle." Simply not huddling is meaningless by itself. What makes the No Huddle work is the SPEED with which the team lines up for the next play...which means the QB has to read the situation quickly and call the right play..and the rest of the O has to be smart enough to react rapidly to that call. In other words, the essence of the No Huddle is to move so fast from play to play that the D cannot properly defend against the O. At heart, it is very much the Two-Minute Drill played across the entire game. And the QB has to be the one deciding on the plays, not a coach on the sidelines.

As Jauron apparently understood the No Huddle, the essence was simply not to huddle. Speed and quickness played no part in his formulation. From the very first possession of the NE game, I was going "WTF?" The O was wandering around the field, taking it's jolly time getting to the line, with Edwards clearly waiting for the play to be called in. The Bills O used up as much time between plays as if they'd actually huddled, thus giving the D plenty of time to get back to the line of scrimmage and to prepare for the next play. His approach not only eviscerated the concept and the advantage of the No Huddle, it made the O look confused, aimless and laugable.

Are you serious?!...take away the bullhorns and laps and we're back to greg williams?

Comparing the quality of the Bills head coaches in recent history based on press conferences and practice footage is far from rational. It's more like you've got a good gut feeling about the current situation. However, that doesn't give you enough ammo to start calling out others as if their gut feeling is any more or less ridiculous than yours.

Jauron had absolutely no understanding of the "no huddle." Simply not huddling is meaningless by itself. What makes the No Huddle work is the SPEED with which the team lines up for the next play...

His approach not only eviscerated the concept and the advantage of the No Huddle, it made the O look confused, aimless and laugable.

Our O was confused, aimless and laughable.

Without a doubt, injuries hurt our ability to field a great team. Poor coaching also held us back. We were not cohesive on the offensive side of the ball, we were predictable and not so talented that we could always run student body right and be successful with it.

Individual coaching I thought was generally good, but our high-level coaching was poor. The only exception was Bobby April who did a very good job throughout special teams.

Sure we have some weak links, but our coaches never really helped them out. A good coach should be able to cover for weaker players with good plays and good strategy. We did not do a good job of protecting our weaknesses and taking advantage of our strengths. The only strategy we had that seemed to "work" was keep the score down and hope our offense lucked into a victory. Weeee.

We have some pretty good talent. I hope that some of our youngsters step up and fill some of our holes. I hope the new coaching staff can use our talent well. I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

Jauron had absolutely no understanding of the "no huddle." Simply not huddling is meaningless by itself. What makes the No Huddle work is the SPEED with which the team lines up for the next play...which means the QB has to read the situation quickly and call the right play..and the rest of the O has to be smart enough to react rapidly to that call. In other words, the essence of the No Huddle is to move so fast from play to play that the D cannot properly defend against the O. At heart, it is very much the Two-Minute Drill played across the entire game. And the QB has to be the one deciding on the plays, not a coach on the sidelines.

As Jauron apparently understood the No Huddle, the essence was simply not to huddle. Speed and quickness played no part in his formulation. From the very first possession of the NE game, I was going "WTF?" The O was wandering around the field, taking it's jolly time getting to the line, with Edwards clearly waiting for the play to be called in. The Bills O used up as much time between plays as if they'd actually huddled, thus giving the D plenty of time to get back to the line of scrimmage and to prepare for the next play. His approach not only eviscerated the concept and the advantage of the No Huddle, it made the O look confused, aimless and laugable.

you're not 100% right about this, but i agree for the most part.

while running plays quickly (in a hurry-up offense) will keep the defense on their toes and tire them out, it also tires out the offense.

furthermore, it's not as important as how soon you snap the ball, it's how fast you get to the line and are prepared to snap the ball. then the defense can not sub players and has less time to adjust to the formation if they are anticipating the possibility of a quick snap.

there isn't a problem with not snapping the ball quickly unless you never do it, which the bills hardly ever did.

i agree the bills experiment with the no-huddle was a disaster, but let's not get no-huddle confused with a hurry-up offense.

you're not 100% right about this, but i agree for the most part.

while running plays quickly (in a hurry-up offense) will keep the defense on their toes and tire them out, it also tires out the offense.

furthermore, it's not as important as how soon you snap the ball, it's how fast you get to the line and are prepared to snap the ball. then the defense can not sub players and has less time to adjust to the formation if they are anticipating the possibility of a quick snap.

there isn't a problem with not snapping the ball quickly unless you never do it, which the bills hardly ever did.

i agree the bills experiment with the no-huddle was a disaster, but let's not get no-huddle confused with a hurry-up offense.

I believe we are in fundamental agreement and your final sentence is a much more concise summation of what I was trying to say with all my blather.