Bills worst team of all time

Coach55

Over the course of the last 50 years there have been some highly touted players, please give me your input for the biggest busts to ever dress. I have populated a few, but would love to see what this board comes up with.

QB - Billy Joe Hobert or Rob Johnson

RB - Willis McGahee

RB Latty Fumbles Holmes

WR - Bucky Brooks

WR

TE Ruben Can't.. er Gant

LT - Mike Williams

LG

C

RG

RT

DE - Erik Flowers

DT - John McCargo

NT - James Patten

DE

OLB

ILB

ILB

OLB

CB J.D. Williams

CB

SS

FS

K

P

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the current state of the roster is as follows:

QB - Rob Johnson

RB - Willis McGahee

RB - Booker Moore

WR - Bucky Brooks

WR - Perry Tuttle

TE - Tony Hunter

LT - Mike Williams

LG

C

RG

RT - Jerry Crafts

DE - Erik Flowers

DT - John McCargo

DT - Phil Dokes

DE - Walt Patulski

OLB - Tom Cousineau

ILB

ILB

OLB - Eddie Robinson

CB - Chris Watson

CB

SS - Raion Hill

FS - Travares Tillman

K - Jake Arians

P - Rick Tuten

For those who are questioning why Johnson and McGahee are listed as the worst -

Johnson - was anointed to be the QB to return us to greatness. All he did was become the most sacked QB in NFL history. There are MANY other terrible QB's in Bills history, but few were touted to be so good and yet were so bad.

McGahee - Talent wise I agree he is no where near the worst. He was highly touted, came in and took Super Sperm all-pro Travis Henry's place and then proceeded to bad mouth the city to the point he was ostrocized by fans. He is a player who nobody liked at the end.

As for the rest, there are tons of crappy players out there who made the team, but if a player is drafted in 7th round and they made the team, you can't really consider them a bust. I am looking for crappy players who were "supposed to be" good.

RG - Dick Cheek

C - Fowler

ILB - Jim Cheyunski

ILB - hate to say it but Schottenheimer

No way RJ is the worst QB on this squad. Dan Darragh, Mathison, Marangi, Dufek, Ferragamo, Stephenson, Totten, and even Kemp at the end of his career were way worse

Per the criteria of being draft busts:

QB - Todd Collins / Gary Marangi

RB - Ronnie Harmon

RB - Speedy Neal

WR - Roscoe Parrish / Perry Tuttle / Eric Richardson

WR - Bucky Brooks / Chris Burkett

TE - Lonnie Johnson

T - Fat Mike Williams

G - Mark Traynowicz

C - L. Burton

G - Jim Reilly

T - Mike Richey

DE - Erik Flowers / Al Cowlings

DT - John McCargo

NT - James Patton

DE - Walt Patulski

LB - Tom Cousineau

LB - Doug Allen

LB - John McCrumbley

CB - James Williams

DB - Chris Williams

S - Travares Tillman

S - Jeff Nixon

Over the course of the last 50 years there have been some highly touted players, please give me your input for the biggest busts to ever dress. I have populated a few, but would love to see what this board comes up with.

QB - Billy Joe Hobert or Rob Johnson

RB - Willis McGahee

RB

WR - Bucky Brooks

WR

TE

LT - Mike Williams

LG

C

RG

RT

DE - Erik Flowers

DT - John McCargo

NT - James Patten

DE

OLB

ILB

ILB

OLB

CB

CB

SS

FS

K

P

Remember Waddy Harvey???

Dude, Willis McGahee was absolutely sick in 2004 on the Bills. He basically didn't even play until week 6 and ended up with 1128 yards and 13 TD's. Then the following year he ran for another 1247. He was significantly better than Antowain Smith- who, mind you, was drafted even higher than McGahee. What short term memories we have around here.

We didn't draft Jeff Nixon.

Robb Riddick deserves a mention

Jeff Nixon was drafted in 4th round in 1979 by the Bills. Robb Riddick was a pretty good utility back for the Bills...good on goal line situations and not bad as a receiver. Not a bust at all in my opinion. Bill Enyart was a 2nd round bust (1969)!

Dude, Willis McGahee was absolutely sick in 2004 on the Bills. He basically didn't even play until week 6 and ended up with 1128 yards and 13 TD's. Then the following year he ran for another 1247. He was significantly better than Antowain Smith- who, mind you, was drafted even higher than McGahee. What short term memories we have around here.

And he also ran for 990 yards his last season as a Bill.

Shaw was tied for 3rd in yards per attempt and was tied for 6th in yards per completion (tied with the Mad Bomber no less!) Interesting look at the stats back in the day....

1970 QB ratings

The bottom line is that Shaw's 2,507 yards were meaningless. The 20 INTs to 10 TDs and 3 wins as a starter made ROTY a joke, no matter what the era.

Jeff Nixon was drafted in 4th round in 1979 by the Bills. Robb Riddick was a pretty good utility back for the Bills...good on goal line situations and not bad as a receiver. Not a bust at all in my opinion. Bill Enyart was a 2nd round bust (1969)!

Jeff Nixon was a great player with a real nose for the ball, something like 5 interceptions in his first several games if memory serves me well. Then he got injured and was never the same after that.

On another post, Perry Tuttle was a first round WR pick out of Clemson. He was meant to be a strong number 2 playing across from Jerry Butler. It was going to be Jerry and Perry according to one Buffalo newscaster. But Tuttle never became that good.

The dismal drafts of the early 70's deserve strong mention. Players like DE Walt Patulski and LB Tom Ruud.

C - Will Grant

I remember sitting next to him at the bar at the Big Tree on a Saturday afternoon in '83, I believe. It was the day before the final game, if i remember correctly, the game was in Cincy, he was killing time before the bus took the team to the airport.

He told me all he wanted to do was to get through the game without getting hurt.

I'm thinking 'classic run for the bus game'. Should've put some money on it - of course they got crushed. I think the final was 35-3 or something like that.

Never had much respect for him after that.