TV Suggestions Needed

PushthePile

I'm in the market for a new TV and was hoping for a little advice. I just bought my first home and Im graduating from tube to flat screen and have limited knowledge on the subject. I know this board has some tech savvy posters and look foward to some good info. I figured it was about time I moved into this decade and get a real tv, besides the abuse from friends has been relentless.

A few points....

1. I'm willing to spend in the neighborhood of 3,000 but I want something worth it. I'd consider spending more if it was a blow you away difference. Of course I'd go less, if it was a minimal downgrade.

2. I'm hanging the TV on a wall and need a geek squad to help me out.

3. I checked a few out this weekend and love the LED pictures. Of course, those prices are bound to come down drastically and probably soon. One friend suggested buying a cheap LCD and replacing it with a good LED in a year, when they might be a grand cheaper. I'm leaning towards just getting what I want.

4. I'm looking at 52 to 60 inches.

5. I mostly watch movies and sports. No gaming for me

6. Should I get the warranty?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a big fan of Samsung. I got a Samsung LED in the fall and absolutely love it. I bought a 46" and am actually thinking of moving it to my bedroom and buying a bigger TV for my living room. Best Buy's recent sales circular seems to have some decent prices on LEDs.

I bought the extended warranty just for my own piece of mind. I know that people will say it's a ripoff and you don't need it, but I like the idea that I don't have to worry about that thing doing anything except working for the next 4 years.

I'm a big fan of Samsung. I got a Samsung LED in the fall and absolutely love it. I bought a 46" and am actually thinking of moving it to my bedroom and buying a bigger TV for my living room. Best Buy's recent sales circular seems to have some decent prices on LEDs.

I bought the extended warranty just for my own piece of mind. I know that people will say it's a ripoff and you don't need it, but I like the idea that I don't have to worry about that thing doing anything except working for the next 4 years.

I've heard alot of nice reviews for Samsung lately. Thanks

Just a quick idea for ya (not recommending, just explaining that 3k is outrageous)

52" Sharp Aquos 1080p, $1150

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...f0fp36044c0s441

or, a 65" (great reviews) for $1799 (FREE Shipping)

http://www.onestoplcd.com/productdetail.as...p;refid=froogle

spend an hour looking around the net and you'll quickly find that for 3k, you can buy a great TV and an awesome new leather lazy-boy to watch it in.

Just a quick idea for ya (not recommending, just explaining that 3k is outrageous)

52" Sharp Aquos 1080p, $1150

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...f0fp36044c0s441

or, a 65" (great reviews) for $1799 (FREE Shipping)

http://www.onestoplcd.com/productdetail.as...p;refid=froogle

spend an hour looking around the net and you'll quickly find that for 3k, you can buy a great TV and an awesome new leather lazy-boy to watch it in.

You are probably right. I better do more research.

Invaluable resource :

http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0

AND

you should buy the latest consumers guide to HDTVs

Despite what some people may say, one of your first decision should be LCD/LED vs Plasma. People say that plasma is the older tech...but dont buy into the lcd hype just yet. Plasma offers amazing deep black levels compared to lcds. Also it definitely offers better wide angle viewing compared to lcds. Most reviewers say that plasmas are better for fast paced movies and games. Plasmas are in as much demand as lcds. Don't discount it. Best plasmas are definitely made by Panasonic. Also they are relatively cheaper than the LEDs and you can easily get an amazing 55- 60" plasma for 3Grand.

But another important thing you need to consider...

whether you go LED or Plasma....you willl need a home theatre system to go with the tv. All these new tvs have amazing picture quality and features...but the sound sucks. I mean you invest soo much for a certain viewing experience....for ex. watchign the latest blockbuster on blu ray on your awesome new tv. But the sound doesnt the match the digital quality of the picture. You should invest in a home theatre system to go with the tv (unless you already have one)

finally. You should definitely get insurance. The tech is still new and there are problems. A lot of samsung tvs have had issues and their customer service is reportedly terrible. You should def get insurance to be on the safe side.

We have a Samsung tv and a Samsung refridgerator. Great picture on the T.V., the fridge, not so much.

I'm in the market for a new TV and was hoping for a little advice. I just bought my first home and Im graduating from tube to flat screen and have limited knowledge on the subject. I know this board has some tech savvy posters and look foward to some good info. I figured it was about time I moved into this decade and get a real tv, besides the abuse from friends has been relentless.

A few points....

1. I'm willing to spend in the neighborhood of 3,000 but I want something worth it. I'd consider spending more if it was a blow you away difference. Of course I'd go less, if it was a minimal downgrade.

2. I'm hanging the TV on a wall and need a geek squad to help me out.

3. I checked a few out this weekend and love the LED pictures. Of course, those prices are bound to come down drastically and probably soon. One friend suggested buying a cheap LCD and replacing it with a good LED in a year, when they might be a grand cheaper. I'm leaning towards just getting what I want.

4. I'm looking at 52 to 60 inches.

5. I mostly watch movies and sports. No gaming for me

6. Should I get the warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Got the samsung 55'' last month. 240hz LED/LCD backlit...UN55B8500.From what I gather samsung only made this model for one year...it was a little pricey, but they had one left at our best buy and we were waiting for the salesman and we happened to sit in front of one. Even the wife was taken back at the outstanding picture.

you should not need to spend anywhere NEAR $3k for a great TV. I spent $1600 on a 46" Panasonic Viera and it's one of the best TVs I've seen, and that was 2 years ago. You should be able to spend a max of $2000-2500 and walk away king of the hill.

Brand-wise, I recommend: Panasonic, Samsung, and LG, depending whether you go plasma or lcd

I went Plasma because every LCD i looked at, i could pic out the pixels. They all look like big computer monitors to me. The plasma had a much smoother picture, imo.

I believe in recent Consumer Reports, the new model Panasonic Vieras are still ranked at the top of plasmas. Check em out.

I'm in the market for a new TV and was hoping for a little advice. I just bought my first home and Im graduating from tube to flat screen and have limited knowledge on the subject.

Stick with your current tv. You will have other, more important expenses to consider with that new house.

Despite what some people may say, one of your first decision should be LCD/LED vs Plasma. People say that plasma is the older tech...but dont buy into the lcd hype just yet. Plasma offers amazing deep black levels compared to lcds. Also it definitely offers better wide angle viewing compared to lcds. Most reviewers say that plasmas are better for fast paced movies and games. Plasmas are in as much demand as lcds. Don't discount it. Best plasmas are definitely made by Panasonic. Also they are relatively cheaper than the LEDs and you can easily get an amazing 55- 60" plasma for 3Grand.

But another important thing you need to consider...

whether you go LED or Plasma....you willl need a home theatre system to go with the tv. All these new tvs have amazing picture quality and features...but the sound sucks. I mean you invest soo much for a certain viewing experience....for ex. watchign the latest blockbuster on blu ray on your awesome new tv. But the sound doesnt the match the digital quality of the picture. You should invest in a home theatre system to go with the tv (unless you already have one)

I did the TV/theater upgrade 1 year ago and am thrilled with my purchase. I agree nearly 100% with BillsRUs above. Plasma has by far the best picture, still. LED and LCd may catch up some day but nothing out there in your price range will give you the quality picture plasma will give you. Just pay attention to the specs and you'll see that LED/LCD are still catching up to plasma.

Plasma has it's own drawbacks though. First, it has a shiny glass screen so it reflects ambient light. This can be annoying in bright rooms because the reflections will be on the glass, distracting from the great picture. Second, while plasma is thin, it's not as thin as LED. They wall-mount just fine but they will normally require more space off the wall because of this thickness and because they run hotter than LEDs. For the price, you won't get better quality than plasma.

3D is absurd. I hate 3D movies and find them interesting only in small doses. Otherwise the blur bothers me.

The other point I have to emphasize is that if you get this TV, you will want to get a theater and blu-ray player. Even a starter theater with speakers and blu-ray player will take a 600-1000 bite out of your budget. And don't forget that to get the most out of the TV, you'll need HD cable (or HD DirecTV), both of which add to your monthly bill. If you have TiVo, you'll want the HD Tivo or all your programs will record in standard def. The warning is this: entering the HD world costs a lot of money--a lot more than just the TV.

I have a Samsung flat screen and it is very good.

I got the extended warranty also.

Two years later the store is out of business :)

Listen, you really need to consider a 3D capable tv. I know people will scoff, but I would be reluctant to spend big money on a TV now and have it be obsolete in 3 years. Besides, this is now available in 3D :):lol::lol:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2010/06/03/p...ic-3d-tv-sales/

That's the case with 3D right now. The technology is far from mature, and there isn't one set standard yet on which 3D technology to use.

That's the case with 3D right now. The technology is far from mature, and there isn't one set standard yet on which 3D technology to use.

Don't forget the cost of the super expensive 3-d glasses you'll need....which fyi cannot be used properly with a 3-d tv from a different manufacturer.