Carp Czar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well he needs to be concerned. What if they close the locks and go on strike?

Eric the strike breaker

I don't know what you are talking about. I can't strike. If I do, I will get fired and rightly so! I had to sign an agreement many moons ago NOT to strike... Or yes, be fired.

Anyway... I can give a damn if they close the lock down. Actually something has to be done. I have been saying it for almost 20 years now, we waste an abhorrent amount of water. The Chicago area uses a day almost 80% what goes over the Falls each day and the number is growing.

Again... This carp issue is a giant boondoggle. I witnessed them killing the 100,000 (11,000 fish from almost 40 species) pounds of fish below on the river... Yes, that is the same stinking, "polluted" river every one makes fun of... ONly a two mile stretch of it. Boy the enviro has come a long way! Trust me, it is a fiasco what career, big paycheck bureaucrats do with your money.

Transportation in this country is getting ever so streamlined. And to compete with the world, it has to be that way. They have thrown 78 million at this problem... That is more than it cost to build the one lock I work at and staff it it 24/7/365 AND maintain it for the last 50 years.

There is a reason why Chicago can still compete in the world where other rust belt economies have failed. Location, location, location.

It is nice to be back! Isn't it? Glad the fed gives me 5 weeks vacation a year... B-)

The cost of competing with the rest of the world... Ag and the "bread basket of the world" shifting towards say the Brazil/amazon because they can get their product to market cheaper and more efficient? All bulk commodities? They are next to leave the country because of the enviro nuts and the hysteria they create.

Just what Detroit and others want? Now that their economies are in the toilet...

Dream Big?

"...What makes Chicago great are those waterways," said Mark Biel, executive director of the Chemical Industry Council of Illinois. "It defies logic why anybody would want a physical separation of the waterways. To me, it seems like the ultimate pipe dream."

Each year, millions of tons of steel, petroleum and other cargo pass through the twisting man-made corridors that feed from Lake Michigan to the Illinois River and on to the Mississippi River and, ultimately, the Gulf of Mexico. Critics say placing physical barriers would restrict cargo vessels, increase costs, slow down delivery and force many Chicago businesses to move elsewhere.

Though the idea of separating the Great Lakes from the Mississippi River is not new, few inside Illinois took it seriously until the recent firestorm over Asian carp, an invasive species that has left a trail of destruction on its 30-year migration up the Mississippi River and into Illinois..."

"...So, how would separation work?

Durbin floated the idea of building a lift for boats and cargo ships that essentially would pick them out of one water channel and transfer them over dry land to another. Similar lifts are used in parts of Europe, Durbin said, although none is of the size and scale that would be needed in Chicago.

"We don't know if it's feasible. We don't know what it will cost," Durbin said, "but we need to keep all options on the table."

The Natural Resources Defense Council has tried to drum up support to integrate water shipping routes with truck and train transfer stations that have yet to be built along the water system. These stations would eliminate a pathway for most invasive species, but also force ships to unload their cargo and complete the rest of the journey by train or truck.

As if the shipping problem weren't challenging enough, the re-engineered channels would have to allow for the dispersal of floodwater. Others also want to restore the flow of the Chicago River back into Lake Michigan and invest in sophisticated filtration and water treatment plants to clean up the sewage that would be sent back into the lake..."

IMO, the problem won't be for the tens of thousands of pleasure boats that transit the area annually... They can be picked up easily. The problem will be how to handle cargo that gets bunched up in +9,000 ton tows that can stretch 700-800 feet long by 70-105 feet wide and 9 feet deep. How do you mechanically lift that cost efficiently?

This is all about money and paradigm shift. There is no better bang for the taxpayers buck than they way it is done now. Any other tinkering and changing MAY even cause more ecological problems... If not done right with the proper amount of vision and forward thinking. Is that forward thinking and vision even possible in gov't and American industry?

Just found this "wonderful" piece of literary work. Hey WisconsinBillzFan, are you Bonnie J. Bass posting on other sites? :P

Bonnie J Bass on June 24, 2010 11:33 AM Asian Carp "Crisis" - Dept of Interior employs faggots on huge salaries to solve environmental issues. Same faggots are now demanding Pres. Obama DO their jobs for THEM in the same way faggot mayors of New Orleans demanded the President DO their jobs for THEM. Faggots in charge of ANYTHING are INCOMPETENT and LAZY! Faggots are now accusing Asian Carp of being "aggressive". Why is it that faggots have such a problem with "aggressive"? Even carp need a place to live--aggressive or not. Faggots are soon to be extinct when Amerikka opens bounty hunting season on faggots nationwide--no license required, no limit to the number of faggots killed to put food on the table. Families out of work and dispossessed of their homes by faggots in government, then outcast, afflicted, diseased, and especially "aggressive" are going to be fishing faggots out of Lake Michigan and every waterway in the world because FAGGOTS are AGGRESSIVE, predatory, and carnivorous. They demand laws protecting their predatory violations of the U.S. Constitution. As it stands, fags have impunity to their every crime under the sun. CIC Bonnie J Bass, The People's Army.

Back on subject, another post/comment: :P:lol:

History on June 25, 2010 4:45 PM I have heard of a lot of things. A Carp Czar takes the prise. Would it not be better to publish a Asian Carp Cookbook and then make it unlimited catching them. I do beleive they were imported for that purpose. If they want a Carp Czar I will be happy to throw my hat into the ring for that job. I will only need 250K for wages plus travel expenses. My staff would have to include about 25 people making 150K a year plus expenses. I would also need an advsory group of local fishermen and fisherwomen to keep us updated. I beleive 50 could be the starting number. They would need 75K plus a new Boat, trailer and truck with travel expenses. These would be full time positions. It is a dangerous job since the carp might jump out of the water and hit them. That might really be the deadlyest catch.Please put my name in the ring I will create about 75 jobs.

mamagrizzly on June 26, 2010 9:47 AM

As an Illinoisian I deeply apolgize to the people of the Gulf coast who are actually having an environmental crisis; as opposed to the people of Illinois who are having a "stupid politician crisis" (which by the way starts at 1600 Penn. Ave.) You know fish do rot from the head down.

:flirt:

I love it! It is going to be very interesting (to at least me) to see how they engineer a solution that has been a long time coming! These are exciting times! :devil:

Simple. They've already got a methodology to solve the problem.

President BO will just proclaim that the Asian Carp has the status of illegal immigrants. He wil then solve the problem by suing the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois to keep the locks open until comprehensive carp legislation can be done in a bipartisan manner. Fish and Game wardens beware. He will not accept profiling nor discrimination in any way.

Good article:

Believe it or not... I totally agree with this article.

Just got back from Illinois, lock the front door (Seaway), oh boy!... Imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singin', doo doo doo lookin' out my back door!

And closing the locks permanently at this point likely would also cause severe flooding because the canal system is designed to flow backwards into the lake if big rains overwhelm the treatment plants. Operators respond by diverting straight sewage into the canal and gates are opened so the waste can tumble into Lake Michigan.

But it's possible that separation might be accomplished in a way that would not force flooding and still accommodate, if not enhance, regional barge traffic.

Yet it will take planning and time - time the Great Lakes might not have.

Biologists say this is a bigger issue than just Asian carp.

It is about the biological integrity of the Great Lakes, home to about 20% of the globe's fresh surface water, a geographic phenomenon every bit as unique as the Himalayas.

The freshwater seas evolved essentially isolated from the rest of the aquatic world.

They were protected on the east by the towering Niagara Falls and on the west by the continental divide that separated them from the Mississippi River basin.

Canada's Welland Canal, first constructed in the 1800s, allowed oceangoing vessels - and the ruinous critters they unintentionally carry - to bypass Niagara Falls, and the front door to the Great Lakes swung wide open.

The back door opened wide when Chicagoans blasted their way into the Mississippi basin.

The result is that today the Great Lakes are home to more than 185 non-native species, and a delicate balance established over 10,000 years has been destroyed in a matter of decades...

...Soon enough, he says, the foolishness of using much of its precious water budget to flush the city's waste is going to become apparent.

Let's put the fish issue aside for a while. Let's look at the cost effectiveness of the Chicago area waterways (CAW's) and potential "game changers" when it comes to the ever increasing streamlining in getting products to market.

Three words:

Intermodal container shipping

It has been coming for some time now. The inland waterways have alwys been about bulk commodities, not anymore. How much more cost effective can things get when they ship containers by the inland? I have just recently seen my first tow ship containers through this neck of the woods. One standard (200x35) barge can accomadate about 30 containers... Now times that by 6,8, 15 for your standard tow configuration... That can still be floated in about 8-9 feet of water... YEAR ROUND.

No wonder why other economies want to use a fish to either close down parts of the inland, OR make it more expensive by taking on boondoggles. Maybe I am wrong, but I see this as a very important economic game changer and the CAW's are in a very favorable geographic position.

So, Obama and his administration has sold out to big business. He doesn't care about the environment. He's never done anything for the environment. He doesn't care about the ruined livelihoods of millions of people in the Gulf region and he doesn't care about ruining the Great Lakes and inland waterways. He's an anti-environmentalist of the first degree. When the relief wells don't solve the Gulf dilemma - watch him back the nuclear option. [/r]

So, Obama and his administration has sold out to big business. He doesn't care about the environment. He's never done anything for the environment. He doesn't care about the ruined livelihoods of millions of people in the Gulf region and he doesn't care about ruining the Great Lakes and inland waterways. He's an anti-environmentalist of the first degree. When the relief wells don't solve the Gulf dilemma - watch him back the nuclear option. [/r]

This isn't about the enviroment. Self sustaining populations of this fish will not survive in the lakes. Lake Erie had a population (bighead) and died out. There are two other Asian carps that they do not care about:

Black and Grass

They are in the lakes and haven't formed sustaining populations.

Look at the facts before people react.

What about the Wabash to Maumee threat in Indiana to Ohio... Sure it will take flooding... Isn't that how they got in the big rivers (MS, MO, IL, OH) in the first place. Notice I said "big rivers." These fish CAN'T spawn in the lakes and their eggs have to be deposited live in a river that is at least 60 miles long with adequate current in the channel and shallow backwater. How many rivers exist like the MO, MS, IL, and OH around the Great Lakes? Again... Even the experts admit that bighead and silver carp will find a desert in the Great Lakes. In fact, walleye should do better. Salmon, yes... That may be a problem... But salmon in the Great Lakes don't belong there too.

Indiana

Edit: Note... Strange that 10 years ago there was bighead in Lake Erie around Toledo... Could they have made it through the floodplain at Fort Wayne-Wabash-Maumee river... How did they get there... Of course they died off because they could NOT find adequate rivers to spawn in.

30 MILLION pounds of carp to be shipped to China and the world

There is always a silver economic lining. Life gives you carp, make carpade.

"...As reviled as the carp are here for posing a threat to the Great Lakes, Mr. Liang Chang, chairman of Beijing Zhuochen Animal Husbandry Co., said in a statement: "The high quality and taste of the wild Asian carp from [Downstate Illinois processor] Big River Fish far exceeded our expectations. We see a tremendous market in China for the wild Asian carp."

"...We ate every last passenger pigeon. With billions of Chinese helping it shouldn't take long to thin out our Asian carp."

Can I be carp czar?... I only demand chump change and I can mow grass, weld, fix the toilet. You get old-school Army bang for your buck! :nana:

China to help out

"...Gov. Pat Quinn announced Tuesday that the state will put $2 million into refurbishing and expanding a fish plant in Pearl River, Ill., that plans to process 30 million pounds of Asian carp a year, turning the feared fish into frozen fillets and shipping them back to their native China. The fish will be sold there as high-end restaurant fare.

"The rivers in China are so polluted, people now eat farm-raised carp," said Ross Harano, international marketing director for Big River Fish Corp. "They're excited about our wild carp..."

"...Big River Fish has been processing Asian carp since the firm started in 1999, flash-freezing about 40,000 pounds of the fish weekly for shipment to China..."

Do the math... That is a 28 million pound jump in sales annually. :thumbsup:

Big River Fish Corp.

This from 2006!

"...He now pulls about 20,000 pounds of the Piscean pests out of the river each week, and he sells them, for food. Briney earned $200,000 last year..."

Again, do the math. 20,000 pounds is only 1.1 million pounds a year. The 30 million pounds they just signed a deal with China is staggering.

If anybody wants to make some nice money... Head to Illinois and fish. The fish will even jump right into your boat! Better than a gold rush and one is shure to get money.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some old news from a couple weeks ago:

5 States Sue Over Asian Carp... NOT New York State

I gave it a couple weeks to see if they would join in.. They didn't. What gives New York State? Could it be that the New York State Barge Canal runs all over the state and there should be "hydraulic seperation" there too? Now mix in the Seaway... These are actually avenues of proven destruction... Not hypotectical fish invasion theories.

No New York... What gives? Maybe we can ask their US Sens about why they didn't piggy-back on?