Carp Czar

True.

Anyway, there is something like 22 ways invasive species can get into the lakes.

Ok I'll play.....

Hit

Base on Balls

Hit by pitch

error

Fielder's choice

dropped third strike

catcher's interference.

inserted as a pinch runer

That's all I got. What are the other 14?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found out that most of the eDNA discovered last year was silver carp DNA (the fish that I have seen dead on barges)... And right after I spotted my first one's. In 2010, they have not found eDNA samples of this fish... Strange... Maybe shipping is more aware of making sure their decks are clear of dead fish after crossing teh electric fish barrier.

Stupid scientists...

:doh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Chef... This one is for you! :P

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/parola-46440-chef-fish.html

"I broke the code of this fish," French chef Philippe Parola said Tuesday at the dedication ceremony for the Jerry F. Costello National Great Rivers Research and Education Center Confluence Field Station. "It took a chef to break the code of this fish."

Parola said taxpayers' money is being wasted in science studying the Asian carp invasion problem, when taxpayers could be saving by eating this clean, good fish.

"Yes, we can," exclaimed Parola, who lives in New Orleans, is president and CEO of Chef Parola Enterprises, stars in his own television series, and has his own culinary school and accessory line.

The fish, as prepared by Parola - which simply consists of breading and frying, pan-frying in butter or poaching - gives absolutely no "fishy" taste. The taste is mild and clean. The filets are bright white.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 1 month later...

Remember me? I am back... :D

Wanna know what is happeninig on the " Asian Carp Front? No? Well here is an interesting read: :D

From the Hennepin Canal. The Hennepin Canal is a defunct canal that linked the Upper MS river at around Rock Island/Quad Cities to the Illinois river... It was also called the Illinois and Mississippi Canal... It was closed sometime ago around the 1950's... Some canal "pools" still exist." Well, it seems the Asian carp are in some reaches of the canal that have been separated by physical barriers... Old locks and dams that have been shuttered many moons ago... Some with concrete, physical barriers 8 feet or higher and similar to the separation some are seeking on the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs).

Hennepin (IL-MS) Canal

"...In the lower reaches of the Hennepin Canal, the invasive, filter-feeding, fast-growing fish have found their way upstream past locks 1 and 2 and they have become abundant in the pool between the dam at Lock 2 and the dam for Lock 3. However, unlike locks in active navigation waterways, the Hennepin Canal’s locks don’t open and close. Its dams generally are fixed slabs of concrete, many of which are 8-10 feet high.

So, Illinois Department of Natural Resources’ Ken Clodfelter notes, the carp can’t spread on their own farther upstream in the canal.

“They came in from the river during high water. People have pictures of them jumping over Lock 2,” Clodfelter said..."

"...In addition, there is no boat ramp for the commercial netters’ boats in that canal pool."

Hmmm... Very interesting how they got there... ;)

Remember me? I am back... :D

Wanna know what is happeninig on the " Asian Carp Front? No? Well here is an interesting read: :D

From the Hennepin Canal. The Hennepin Canal is a defunct canal that linked the Upper MS river at around Rock Island/Quad Cities to the Illinois river... It was also called the Illinois and Mississippi Canal... It was closed sometime ago around the 1950's... Some canal "pools" still exist." Well, it seems the Asian carp are in some reaches of the canal that have been separated by physical barriers... Old locks and dams that have been shuttered many moons ago... Some with concrete, physical barriers 8 feet or higher and similar to the separation some are seeking on the Chicago Area Waterways (CAWs).

Hennepin (IL-MS) Canal

"...In the lower reaches of the Hennepin Canal, the invasive, filter-feeding, fast-growing fish have found their way upstream past locks 1 and 2 and they have become abundant in the pool between the dam at Lock 2 and the dam for Lock 3. However, unlike locks in active navigation waterways, the Hennepin Canal’s locks don’t open and close. Its dams generally are fixed slabs of concrete, many of which are 8-10 feet high.

So, Illinois Department of Natural Resources’ Ken Clodfelter notes, the carp can’t spread on their own farther upstream in the canal.

“They came in from the river during high water. People have pictures of them jumping over Lock 2,” Clodfelter said..."

"...In addition, there is no boat ramp for the commercial netters’ boats in that canal pool."

Hmmm... Very interesting how they got there... ;)

I thought of you when I was back home last week. There was an article in the Erie paper about Asian carp :lol:

Face it, we're BillsFanOne.

I have nightmares that wake me up at night in a cold sweat about Asian Carp that do a suicide charge up my street and cover all the houses, breaking windows and tree limbs, leaving wrecked cars in the wake of their incessant unstoppable march which continues toward my house.

I'm going to invest in a propane deep fryer. I hear it's like garlic is to a vampire for them.

I'll stock up on tartar sauce and lemons too just for good measure.

Face it, we're BillsFanOne.

I have nightmares that wake me up at night in a cold sweat about Asian Carp that do a suicide charge up my street and cover all the houses, breaking windows and tree limbs, leaving wrecked cars in the wake of their incessant unstoppable march which continues toward my house.

I'm going to invest in a propane deep fryer. I hear it's like garlic is to a vampire for them.

I'll stock up on tartar sauce and lemons too just for good measure.

If you're scared now, wait until an Asian Carp gets bit by a Zombie

Zombie Asian Carp :ph34r: . And you thought EII was soiling himself now :P

Edited by /dev/null

I couldn't chime in today because I was of all things installing 6 one ton fish screens with a MANUAL winch! Go figure, 78 mil and they can't get an electric hoist for the davits. Ever see the movie Memphis Belle when they are lowering the landing gear manually to protect the guy stuck in the belly (ball) turret? :wallbash: Maybe the citizens of the great states of MI,MN,WI,OH,PA,NY (not in the recent suit) and the grand province of Onatario will thank me! :lol:;)

With the federal judge saying the locks can stay open today... It is obvious that you can fool enviro group thinkers in a Penn and Teller (ban water) bit... But when it comes to a ferderal judge staring at the biological facts it is a wee bit harder. This isn't to say all federal judges look at the facts... It is clear that in this case, they did.

Plaintiff Great Lakes States Lose

I have never heard of the Conneaut Diversion.

Conneat Lake Park on the other hand :thumbsup:

My dad worked on the Erie-Lack (prior Del-Lackawanna) railroad... He would dead head out to parts of NW PA like close to places like Meadville (I think that is where Dad's dog food was made?) and Bradford, PA (Zippo Lighters)... :D

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I couldn't chime in today because I was of all things installing 6 one ton fish screens with a MANUAL winch! Go figure, 78 mil and they can't get an electric hoist for the davits. Ever see the movie Memphis Belle when they are lowering the landing gear manually to protect the guy stuck in the belly (ball) turret? :wallbash: Maybe the citizens of the great states of MI,MN,WI,OH,NY (not in the recent suit) and the grand province of Onatario will thank me! :lol:;)

With the federal judge saying the locks can stay open today... It is obvious that you can fool enviro group thinkers in a Penn and Teller (ban water) bit... But when it comes to a ferderal judge staring at the biological facts it is a wee bit harder. This isn't to say all federal judges look at the facts... It is clear that in this case, they did.

Plaintiff Great Lakes States Lose

My dad worked on the Erie-Lack (prior Del-Lackawanna) railroad... He would dead head out to parts of NW PA like close to places like Meadville (I think that is where Dad's dog food was made?) and Bradford, PA (Zippo Lighters)... :D

Conneaut is near Meadville

Never heard of Dad's dog food. We fed our family dog table scraps (plus Mom would always make him some extra dinner).

Zippo's I know are from Bradford Pennsyltucky. Further east of Erie

Conneaut is near Meadville

Never heard of Dad's dog food. We fed our family dog table scraps (plus Mom would always make him some extra dinner).

Zippo's I know are from Bradford Pennsyltucky. Further east of Erie

Conneaut, Ohio (on Lake Erie)... I know it well... I used to sound (depth readings) the harbor @ Conneaut, OH... I remember the smallest diner I was ever in: Johnson's... Pretty cool. Also, I had some freinds at Allegheny College and I have been to Conneaut Lake... I think that is where one of the biggest Muskie was pulled out of... ??

I used to survey Erie Harbor too... Launch on the bay side of Presque Isle and run around to the beaches on the lake side... Race around in a small rowboat with a 25hp, old, Johnson motor... Sometimes I thought the waves on the lake would overwhelm my craft. The armor stone (rock) walls you see out on the lake side @ beaches @ Presque Isle was a Corps project I was in on when they were first constructed... I sounded all them and checked beach nourishment... I probably spent a year or two of my life at the Ramada Inn off of route 8 (Parade Street-Hammett)...