Will Maybin turn out to be the Bill biggest 1st. Rd. Bust?

That's BS! You can't count guys who signed with the NFL before the common draft. Since the common draft the only #1 who never played a down for the Bills is Cousineau.

I'll give you that, But what about Jim Davidson - the OSU Tackle drafted #1 in 1964 by The Bills? He never played for them, he wasn't drafted by an NFL club, and we got strunes for him - unlike Cousineau.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I was clear about him.

Well then, let me help you out.

In terms of the least amount of games The Bills ever got out of a First Round pick - here are the top 10:

FIRST PLACE - there's a three-way tie: Ernie Davis (yeah THAT Ernie Davis) and Carl Eller (yeah THAT Carl Eller) both were drafted but said screw you to The Bills and went to play in the NFL. Actually, Ernie died before he paid a game for Cleveland. Jim Davidson was the other player drafted in the first who never played for the club.

SECOND PLACE - Mike Dennis - played 15 games

THIRD PLACE - Phil Dokes - played 22 games

FOURTH PLACE - Perry Tuttle - played 24 games

FIFTH PLACE - JP Losman - played 41 games as a Bill

SIXTH PLACE - - Terry Miller - played 48 games

SEVENTH PLACE - Tie: Mike Williams - played 51 games as a Bill as did Booker Moore

All of the above were picked in the First Round by The Bills.

For the record, Erik Flowers played 58 games and McCargo 39 - but he's still on the team and was a wash much of his rookie year and his position coach had a hard-on for him his third year - not unlike some of the posters here.

Four times, The Bills have had The Number One pick in The Draft

1969 - OJ Simpson

1972 - Walt Patulski

1979 - Tom Cousineau

1985 - Bruce Smith

We're batting .500 in the number 1 spot.

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

Biggest #1 bust was Phil Dokes. Guy was a fish out of water from day 1 ... like he was afraid to be in the NFL or something. It was weird.

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

I disagree with the 2 RB's, Terry Miller had a very respectable rookie year: gained over 1,000 yards and averaged 4.5 yards per carry.. Not sure what happened to him after that but he was out of football a few years later.. Greg Bell is another 1,000 yard RB.. But do you remember former #1's John Pitts S out of AZ state, Al Cowlings USC DE, Phil Dokes Oklahoma DE 1977 (maybe the worst draft year in team history).. Tom Cousineau LB Ohio State.. The Bills have done a miserable job drafting at the top, you can go on and on with just the number #1's

He's been in the league ONE YEAR!!!!! Absolutely ridiculous thought. :rolleyes:

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberrys.

There have been so many 1st round misses by the Bills that to put Maybin at the top of the heap maybe premature.

Simply judging virtually any athlete before he puts three years in the league is almost always premature.

Will Maybin be a bust? He is undersized for a DE so if he is used in that role then perhaps almost certainly. However, it does not take more than half a brain to see that and since even the Jauron braintrust assigned him an LB # it is pretty clear he appears headed toward an OLB role.

It seems fairly silly to judge Maybin's future based on how he would perform in the 2009 Bills D he was drafted for (and missed a chunk of training camp for which seemed to derail a lot of his rookie year off the top since his first likely would have been learning to play OLB.

Now the team is switching to a 3-4 which further intensifies the need for LBs.

The one thing you can say pro Maybin is that you cannot teach speed (no matter what Don Beebe gets rube to give him cash to do) and his speed likely gets put to good use in a 3-4. Apparently he often lined up over the TE in college and pass coverage in the short or medium zone is not foreign to him either and this, run containment, and pass rushing will be his major duties in our 3-4 and much worrying about him seems to say as much about the poster as it does about Maybin.

Simply judging virtually any athlete before he puts three years in the league is almost always premature.

Will Maybin be a bust? He is undersized for a DE so if he is used in that role then perhaps almost certainly. However, it does not take more than half a brain to see that and since even the Jauron braintrust assigned him an LB # it is pretty clear he appears headed toward an OLB role.

It seems fairly silly to judge Maybin's future based on how he would perform in the 2009 Bills D he was drafted for (and missed a chunk of training camp for which seemed to derail a lot of his rookie year off the top since his first likely would have been learning to play OLB.

Now the team is switching to a 3-4 which further intensifies the need for LBs.

The one thing you can say pro Maybin is that you cannot teach speed (no matter what Don Beebe gets rube to give him cash to do) and his speed likely gets put to good use in a 3-4. Apparently he often lined up over the TE in college and pass coverage in the short or medium zone is not foreign to him either and this, run containment, and pass rushing will be his major duties in our 3-4 and much worrying about him seems to say as much about the poster as it does about Maybin.

I appreciate patience, but the times are such that some amount of decent production from a #1 pick at DE is expected. If there is not at least a couple of memorable plays, the fans develop a sour taste for the fellow. Yes, you cannot teach speed. But he had minutes enough on the field, and his speed seemed to not matter. I saw no Bills' games this past season, but I have read reports that he got tossed aside like a rag doll from time to time.

He may be dripping with potential, but his provenance is a 1 year starter with a college team that gets a goodly share of top-rated high school talent. across the roster. Put Maybin in that context - as well as the the recent Troy Smith avocatcy - OSU is loaded, year after year.

I didn't see and Bills games this past season, so I have to rely on poster's reports that he was easily pushed out of the play. Which I believe, following the game threads here.

He was praised for a "cat-quick" first move off the snap. That's not necessarily needed or desired in an OLB. Situational awareness, read first and react is important.

Isn't it hard to call anyone brought in as a project a complete bust? I consider the answer to our prayers NFL ready players that down pan out a bust. Maybin was a reach, not a bust, based on what we have seen so far, but he is so young he easily has tons of opportunity ahead to prove himself.

How was he a reach? He was a top 15 pick in every projected mock draft.

Isn't it hard to call anyone brought in as a project a complete bust? I consider the answer to our prayers NFL ready players that down pan out a bust. Maybin was a reach, not a bust, based on what we have seen so far, but he is so young he easily has tons of opportunity ahead to prove himself.

What's worse - picking a "project" with the #11 overall pick in the draft, or said project flaming out in the NFL?

Well, let's see... he's a bit of a punk, but he is quite muscular and wealthy (now)... he's not getting arrested left and right, hes' not the father of multiple domestic disputes, he hasn't been suspended (by the league), he was drafted by and played under a pathetic queer clueless gutless confused overwhelmed buck-tooth coach, he's had a bad hair-cut or two, he's not being talked about in a negative way by his teammates, but yes... not the biggest bust yet.

Did yous know Trent is a Gunslinger?

Black Label Society ~ Shot to Hell... pretty good cd.

NEWS FLASH:

It's OTA's and Mini camps where players are in shorts. Maybin is a slow learner. He had issues with the Bills defense last year and is now asked to switch to Linebacker. A position he hasn't played. Torbor has been a LB most of his career of course he is going to pick it up faster than Maybin. He's also a veteran.

Wait till the pads are on until you make a judgement on a player.

I don't understand why we are not giving Maybin at least another training camp before we cast him away. He is now playing the position that makes sense for him and could still make a big difference for this team. I follow him on twitter, and I have to say, has a great attitude and clearly wants to get better. Give him a 2nd season before the bust label comes out.

The only one that will "cast him away" will be Maybin himself. I doubt anyone on this board will figure into the decision.

I think one of the reasons the 'doubters' are writing him off as a bust is that he really wasn't all that spectacular in college. I'm hoping that a change of position will help him get on the field but he was thrown around like a rag doll against USC (saw that first hand) and did NOTHING in his first year except look like the worst player on the field on nearly every play. So those of us who hated the pick WHEN it was made aren't going to be sold on the 'give him a chance' or 'he's really still a rookie' mantra. Not saying he won't pan out but come on, he didn't look he had ANY instincts whatsoever out there.

P.S. He could be an all pro in a couple of years, given his size and giving him some linemen in front of him wreaking havoc on opposing OL's so he can make plays, but ... I don't feel that, I, personally have an UNFAIR negative attitude about him. Just not ready to drink the kool-aid..... even if he did go to Penn State :devil:

How was he a reach? He was a top 15 pick in every projected mock draft.

I'll take your word. Somehow I thought I read scouting reports that had him described as not NFL ready and a project with a great frame in need of mass, but loads of potential, the kind of rhetoric you expect for late first rounders or later.

If he was projected top 15 then he was expected to be NFL ready or at least able to contribute as a rook?

He's been in the league ONE YEAR!!!!! Absolutely ridiculous thought. :censored:

I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smells of elderberrys.

he only played 1 year at Penn State........at least thats all anybody can possibly remember him playing there. He was invisible the rest of the time.

This guy totally sucks and I still hate the pick. Im actually rooting for him to fail to my hate for the previous regime grows stronger.

It's not so much that he is "the biggest bust ever". It's the fact that he was drafted too high, held out instead of learning how to play, is a real egotistical jerk off the field, celebrates after jumping on piles, has no counter moves and is built like roscoe parrish on HGH. He is getting alot of blame because we should have taken Orakpo but he has shown us absolutely nothing so far. He does have BUST written all over him but I hope I'm wrong. If he has a great year with double digit sacks I'll be the first one to apologize and admit I was wrong....but don't hold your breath.

he only played 1 year at Penn State........at least thats all anybody can possibly remember him playing there. He was invisible the rest of the time.

This guy totally sucks and I still hate the pick. Im actually rooting for him to fail to my hate for the previous regime grows stronger.

And you're a complete loser. :thumbsup:

It's not so much that he is "the biggest bust ever". It's the fact that he was drafted too high, held out instead of learning how to play, is a real egotistical jerk off the field, celebrates after jumping on piles, has no counter moves and is built like roscoe parrish on HGH. He is getting alot of blame because we should have taken Orakpo but he has shown us absolutely nothing so far. He does have BUST written all over him but I hope I'm wrong. If he has a great year with double digit sacks I'll be the first one to apologize and admit I was wrong....but don't hold your breath.

I love that he is an egotistical jerk people choose to follow his tweets and because he gets excited when he plays football. What an a hole!!! :thumbsup: