60 Years Ago Today - 25 June 1950

/dev/null

One year ago, MJ died :lol:

No disrespect to you, i just don't see why it matters, he was an entertainer, he lived and now he doesn't..... to me I don't see the point for all the people doing the vigils and crying etc, for an entertainer. I know people will say he touched their lives ( or their little boys :thumbsup: ) but at the end of the day he was a musician. Say a little prayer or whatever but the whole scene is played out far too much when a celebrity dies.

No disrespect to you, i just don't see why it matters, he was an entertainer, he lived and now he doesn't..... to me I don't see the point for all the people doing the vigils and crying etc, for an entertainer. I know people will say he touched their lives ( or their little boys :thumbsup: ) but at the end of the day he was a musician. Say a little prayer or whatever but the whole scene is played out far too much when a celebrity dies.

And the sad thing is modern America cares more about the 1 year anniversary of Jacko's death than they do about the anniversary of the Korean War

And the sad thing is modern America cares more about the 1 year anniversary of Jacko's death than they do about the anniversary of the Korean War

Not all of us. Former USAF Korean language Cryptologic Linguist Technician, served over 10 years there. Several hundred friends from the same background. Lots of Korean wives and half-Korean kids amongst our group. Also happen to have a good friend/neighbor who was USMC, fought his way out from the Chosin Reservoir as a young man. It's the forgotten war, but not by us.

I'd certainly recommend to anyone with the attention span that extends beyond their last text message to read "The Coldest Winter", by David Halberstam. The best recounting I've ever read of the Korean conflict. MacArthur was a vainglorious turd, and the country is better off for Truman's dismissal of him. Echoes today's news, doesn't it?

I'd certainly recommend to anyone with the attention span that extends beyond their last text message to read "The Coldest Winter", by David Halberstam. The best recounting I've ever read of the Korean conflict. MacArthur was a vainglorious turd, and the country is better off for Truman's dismissal of him.

I prefer Max Hastings, myself.

Echoes today's news, doesn't it?

No, not really.

I prefer Max Hastings, myself.

No, not really.

Wow, Tom! Absolutely! I'm reading "The Battle for the Falklands" by Hastings, and have read "Das Reich", "Overlord", "Warriors", and a few others that I can't remember at the moment. I'd also recommend ANYTHING by John Keegan and Antony Beevor. This having been said, I thought Halberstam's book was one of the best ever written. Have you read the series by Atkisson ("An Army at Dawn" covering the Torch invasion of North Africa in 1942)?

As for my comment "Echoes today's news", I stand by it. It's never easy for any Commander in Chief, of either party or political stripe, to have to pull their generals aside and fire their asses. It doesn't happen often in our country's history, but it does happen, and it's an agonizing experience.

Wow, Tom! Absolutely! I'm reading "The Battle for the Falklands" by Hastings, and have read "Das Reich", "Overlord", "Warriors", and a few others that I can't remember at the moment. I'd also recommend ANYTHING by John Keegan and Antony Beevor. This having been said, I thought Halberstam's book was one of the best ever written. Have you read the series by Atkisson ("An Army at Dawn" covering the Torch invasion of North Africa in 1942)?

As for my comment "Echoes today's news", I stand by it. It's never easy for any Commander in Chief, of either party or political stripe, to have to pull their generals aside and fire their asses. It doesn't happen often in our country's history, but it does happen, and it's an agonizing experience.

You have been corrected by Tom. Now shut up and sit down.