3 Backs needed

Coach55

I was thinking about the following - If Gailey is truly an offensive genius, he will find a way to get the best 5 offensive weapons on the field at all time. Which would mean Spiller and Jackson should both be on the field for 75%+ of the downs (pulling one for Roscoe in obvious passing situations). If we are to run this type of offense, Lynch becomes invaluable as he theoretically could back up both positions. Personally, I would feature Jackson and use Spiller as a second "flex" back that lines up all over the places and motions a lot. When Jackson, comes out, Lynch moves to tailback. When Spiller comes out, Jackson moves to Spiller's position (as he is a more dangerous receiver than Lynch) and Lynch again moves to tailback. With the versatility of the 3 backs we have, we should be able to get 45 touches a game between runs and passes amongst the 3 of them - with Jackson getting 15-20, Spiller 15-20 and Lynch 10-15. As much as Lynch the attitude is a problem and an annoyance and I am not a fan of - the guy can play football. We should truly try to make this 3 headed monster work.

I was thinking about the following - If Gailey is truly an offensive genius, he will find a way to get the best 5 offensive weapons on the field at all time. Which would mean Spiller and Jackson should both be on the field for 75%+ of the downs (pulling one for Roscoe in obvious passing situations). If we are to run this type of offense, Lynch becomes invaluable as he theoretically could back up both positions. Personally, I would feature Jackson and use Spiller as a second "flex" back that lines up all over the places and motions a lot. When Jackson, comes out, Lynch moves to tailback. When Spiller comes out, Jackson moves to Spiller's position (as he is a more dangerous receiver than Lynch) and Lynch again moves to tailback. With the versatility of the 3 backs we have, we should be able to get 45 touches a game between runs and passes amongst the 3 of them - with Jackson getting 15-20, Spiller 15-20 and Lynch 10-15. As much as Lynch the attitude is a problem and an annoyance and I am not a fan of - the guy can play football. We should truly try to make this 3 headed monster work.

By having a two back set, and being able to run effectively out of that set, it would put defenses in the unenviable position of having to keep more linebackers on the field in lieu of extra DBs. Then, of course, using motion, or shifts, it would be a lot easier to then get Spiller or Freddy, or even Lynch, being covered on pass routes by LBs instead of DBs.

Spiller, Jackson and Lynch would be required to block more than they are accustomed to, or want to, and right now, none of them are all that good at it.

Still, I'm getting excited to see what Gailey will cook up for these teams with our skill players, including Roscoe, Nelson and Hardy, and maybe even Easley. We won't see it at all I don't think until opening week but it could be fun.

IMO, Jackson & Spiller are can catch very well, so I think Gailey could use those two for short passes. Seeing Spiller's highlights, he's caught deep balls as well, something that Thurman Thomas used to do. IMO, I think the bulk of Lynch's carries should be in the red zone since he is hard to bring down and keeps his feet moving upon contact.

We'd have to run 100% wildcat!

I think we'll find out very soon that putting RP in for CJS on passing downs isn't necessarily a passing game upgrade. I like Parrish, but I think Spiller is going to be Sayers-like special. It will be complicated to have all these talented weapons touch the ball. What a great dilemma to have!

Spiller and Jackson would be better on passing situations than Parrish. Parrish has been given opportunities, every OC we have had said they wanted to get him on the field, but they didn't. Maybe its him.

I like your thoughts brother. As far as Lynch goes, winning will solve everything. If Gailey actually includes Lynch in the gameplan and is used creatively, then I feel that many fences would be mended. Our former coaching staff was a disgrace.

I have been saying this all along, its their plan to use all 3, except that people have to stop thinking of Spiller as a RB, expecially the #2 back. Jackson and Lynch are the #1a & 1b RB's, Spiller will fill in for either and take a few carries a game, but he will also be used to catch passes out of the backfield. THATS WHAT HE WAS DRAFTED FOR. He is not a replacement for Lynch, he is to completement a team that is going to focus its offence on keeping the ball on the ground and use screen passes to move the chains.

Its not that hard to understand, and its the reason why Gailey and Nix aren't actively trying to shop Lynch

I have been saying this all along, its their plan to use all 3, except that people have to stop thinking of Spiller as a RB, expecially the #2 back. Jackson and Lynch are the #1a & 1b RB's, Spiller will fill in for either and take a few carries a game, but he will also be used to catch passes out of the backfield. THATS WHAT HE WAS DRAFTED FOR. He is not a replacement for Lynch, he is to completement a team that is going to focus its offence on keeping the ball on the ground and use screen passes to move the chains.

Its not that hard to understand, and its the reason why Gailey and Nix aren't actively trying to shop Lynch

I have to agree with you whole-heartedly. The Bills need CJ to be a playmaker and be lined up everywhere. I never got the reasons to trade Lynch. This guy will have a 100 yard game and all will be forgotten.

Everybody on the offense, and I mean everybody, needs to have a second chance with a new, and actually functional offense then what DJ immplemented all those years. Maybre Turk was right with his assessment on DJs offensive mindset at the beginning of last season.

They've made it very clear that they don't think Spiller can stand up to the punishment of that many touches. Gailey or Nix said 8 - 12 runs per game and a few passes too, maybe.

Other than that, yeah, we've got three backs and we should use them.

We'd have to run 100% wildcat!

I think we'll find out very soon that putting RP in for CJS on passing downs isn't necessarily a passing game upgrade. I like Parrish, but I think Spiller is going to be Sayers-like special. It will be complicated to have all these talented weapons touch the ball. What a great dilemma to have!

Given our QB's, the WC may be our best 'option' on offense.. Throw in the occasional Freddie toss down the seam to Nelson and we could be on to something here. <I think I'm kidding..>