Jamaal Brown to the Redskins

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the junior GM's here ought to ask themselves why 30 other teams, not just the Bills, didn't get into a bidding war? Is it that they are all so much dumber than the Redskins?

PTR

And all the lemmings that eat Bills management tripe (regardless of who holds the GM chair) need to ask at what point does a team that had one of the worst Olines in football last year get serious about treating the problem.

So you want to sign a guy to huge contract to be a 500 team? A contract that the Superbowl winning Saints (the current Omnipotent gods of Talent Evaluators on TBD) consider a horrible enough proposition to let him go without making much of an attempt to keep him when they don't seem to have a much better backup situation at LT than what the Bills do?

What makes that contract better for the Bills than the Saints? Aren't we hoping this regime stops making horrible decisions like the Dockery deal?

Yeah 8-8 is fine all things considered . A Complete overhaul of the d , tough division ect. As for the saints they are going to have major salary issue to deal with . They drafted the guy they think can take over in a year or so and won a superbowl with out Brown last year. In addition in a uncapped year with Schobel salary coming off the books the Bills could easily take on a large contract. I am not sure he is going to get more then 4 years at 27-30 .

The saints have a much better situation. Bushrod would start here, Strief would start here, Stinchcomb is a pro bowler, they drafted charles brown in the second this year. whoever starts here would not even make the saints team.

That said, they have to make choices too -- finances, and chemistry. Also, the hip injury that everyone harps on for keeping him out last year, should be the least of concerns -- He has a bad back, and bad knees -- worrisome for a 30 yr old lineman. it wasnt just talent that caused them to cut and move on. the player lining up day one of this season for the redskins has pro bowl potential. My main concern would be for how many years. They had the depth to move on. We do not.

Jammal would be a starter on the saints team week one if he wanted to be there, dont fool yourself. He was very upset with the front office for both the contract, and his injury situation (was healthy before the playoffs, resents not being able to be a part of everything). I had first heard rumblings of sour relationships back in 08 though, on both sides. In the end, he didnt even go to the ring ceremony this week. Also, to be frank, Loomis and Payton have been known to hold grudges, and close the door on people that upset them personally.

Brown wouldnt be the great savior for this team but that is incredible value for a player of his caliber. Couple that with the fact there is a glaring need for talent up front, and it is questionable. If they do chase McNeill (same chronic back problems as brown), Gaither (work ethic questions), or Penn (weight issues), or draft a guy high next year (crapshoot -- Mike Williams?), there are no promises they will find higher quality, and all of those would be more expensive both in picks spent and money.

Given the low cost, if nothing is done this year, I will be disappointed/worried, but we have yet to see how this will all play out...

I couldn't agree more . Well said my friend

And all the lemmings that eat Bills management tripe (regardless of who holds the GM chair) need to ask at what point does a team that had one of the worst Olines in football last year get serious about treating the problem.

The point they stop making panic moves and making good moves. You may need to get across the street in 30 seconds so you're not late to work again and up fired, but if there's cars coming down the road consistently at 60MPH, there's no sense in crossing the road...you won't make it.

It's unlikely Nix/Gailey don't want to make a move, but making a move *just* to make a move is *why* the Bills are where they are..

Many of these signing that fans want are fixing a giant hole spewing oil by drilling another hole. Stop-gap measures instead of real solutions.

A few random thoughts...

1. Who says that Nix didn't make a spirited play for Brown? Isn't it possible -- if not likely -- that Brown told the Bills that he wasn't interested? If so, that may not even be such a slight on the Bills, as everyone in the NFL knows that you got to Washington to get paid.

2. Not to under-appreciate the value of a good, young LT... but the Bills had a Pro Bowler at the position in 2 of the last 3 years -- and the offense was STILL terrible.

3. I REALLY do get a sense that the current regime has faith in Bell/Meredith to man the LT position. That is, I don't think that they are just blowing smoke when they go on and on about how much they like these guys. The $64,000 question, of course, is: Are they correct in their assessment?

A few random thoughts...

1. Who says that Nix didn't make a spirited play for Brown? Isn't it possible -- if not likely -- that Brown told the Bills that he wasn't interested? If so, that may not even be such a slight on the Bills, as everyone in the NFL knows that you got to Washington to get paid.

2. Not to under-appreciate the value of a good, young LT... but the Bills had a Pro Bowler at the position in 2 of the last 3 years -- and the offense was STILL terrible.

3. I REALLY do get a sense that the current regime has faith in Bell/Meredith to man the LT position. That is, I don't think that they are just blowing smoke when they go on and on about how much they like these guys. The $64,000 question, of course, is: Are they correct in their assessment?

I agree, especially with the second and third point.

LT is clearly a very very important position, but Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden have two combined rings, not every championship for a decade. We need to be solid at LT, but our guys can be solid without being on the Hall of Fame track.

I especially think with Chan using Trent effectively on shorter passing to Spiller, Freddie, Roscoe (I enjoyed the first 58 minutes of last season's opener) we don't need a LT who can pancake Julius Peppers or let Bledsoe count to seven in his head without getting flattened to be successful. I think a healthy Bell has a good chance of being a solid performer. If we can get better at this position (or any other) in a way that makes sense to our overall progression, even better than the status quo.

And a bold move for Marcus McNeill? Not sure how the Nix-AJ relationship is, but that could be a win win that makes both teams better in the right way. AJ gets to show his Chargers you toe the line or get shipped off to Buffalo, McNeill gets big money for a team with a bright future :thumbsup: and the Bills get a young good proven LT who is otherwise about to risk taking a prime of his career year off.

Go Bills.