Favorite and least favorite vegetables

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like saying pate is like carnitas because they both contain pork.

Sure, just like that. Let's examine this:

You agreed with LA that it is like a bruschetta. A bruschetta is typically made from tomatoes (not eggplant) marinated in olive oil and traditionally served on toasted/grilled bread/.

A caponata (typically made with eggplant as the central ingredient) is marinated in olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt, etc and is typically used as an appetizer. In fact, many Sicilians use caponata as a type of bruschetta.

So, while you agree it is like a bruschetta, it is NOTHING like a caponata (which is in fact used as a bruschetta snd contains eggplant).

OK. After all, you are "The Chef" :unsure:

Fresh beefsteak tomatoes on a grilled hamburger in August. Big, wet ones that require two napkins. No pesticides. No hot housing. Hell, no hamburger. Just walk down to the garden in August before anyone else does and pluck them off, rub them on your shirt for good luck, and lean over when you bite, because they're going to explode all over creation.

Oh, my, that's "living" in summer time.

Artichokes the way my Italian mom used to make them. Drizzled with olive oil and stuffed with parmesan and bread crumbs. Parboiled and then crisped under the broiler for the last few minutes. Yum!

Artichokes have some weird chemical in them that after you eat one if you take a drink of water, it tastes sweet.

Sure, just like that. Let's examine this:

You agreed with LA that it is like a bruschetta. A bruschetta is typically made from tomatoes (not eggplant) marinated in olive oil and traditionally served on toasted/grilled bread/.

A caponata (typically made with eggplant as the central ingredient) is marinated in olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt, etc and is typically used as an appetizer. In fact, many Sicilians use caponata as a type of bruschetta.

So, while you agree it is like a bruschetta, it is NOTHING like a caponata (which is in fact used as a bruschetta snd contains eggplant).

OK. After all, you are "The Chef" :unsure:

Who had the reading comprehension problem now. I said it can be served on toast like bruschetta not that is was like bruschetta. In componata eggplant is the main ingredient but it also contains olives, and marinated vegetables. Componata is large chunks of eggplant mixed with those marinated vegetables. In my dish other than garlic, olive oil and basil eggplant is really the only ingredient and it's pureed. So they are nothing like each other. Your know it all persona is getting real old Dean.

Favs: Really anything other than peas or beets - seriously

Least favs: Peas and beets

Growing up we always had a garden. I hated it then and long for it now. Most the "organic"and "high end" veggies available in grocery stors seem to have no or little taste. I find this to be especially true for tomatoes (technically a fruit)and while not a veggie - strawberries.

For appearance and shipping much of what you buy in the store is picked before it is ripe. Dyes or other methods are then used to "ripen" the veggie or fruit.

Your know it all persona is getting real old Dean.

Go back and look again, and I think you will see who is playing the know it all, now. I answered LA much the same as you. To his question

And do what with it? Serve it with toast like bruschetta?

I replied

Yes, like a caponata.

I didn't say what you made was caponata, but that it can be served with toast like a caponata. And, of course, it is made with eggplant.

Now, since you already responded in a reasonable way to LA about this very issue, you might have responded in a similar way to me. But as happens so often, you chose to be a prick. You should expect some blowback from that kind of attitude. There are few things worse than a bully who whines when confronted.

I imagine you were a real joy to work with in the restaurant.