My name is John from Hemet and I am a electronics

So I get all happy because I got my first DVD recorder/player (It is actually one of those DVD recorder/VCR combos......

So I tape my first movie....on the top quality setting. It comes out pretty good....but weight....I now want to get adventurous and put a couple of the upcoming bills games on a DVD. So I change the quality setting. (I have direct TV)

I record a game....and go back to look at it.....oh my god..the quality of the picture turned to sh--

Is there anything I can do?...... is there any way to improve DVD recording quality?

So I get all happy because I got my first DVD recorder/player (It is actually one of those DVD recorder/VCR combos......

So I tape my first movie....on the top quality setting.  It comes out pretty good....but weight....I now want to get adventurous and put a couple of the upcoming bills games on a DVD.  So I change the quality setting. (I have direct TV)

I record a game....and go back to look at it.....oh my god..the quality of the picture turned to sh--

Is there anything I can do?...... is there any way to improve DVD recording quality?

142033[/snapback]

How is the DVD recorder hooked to the DirectTV?

*sigh* This should go on the consumer forum....

That said, a DVD-R can only hold 4.3G of data (roughly, after formatting). That's only about 90-120 minutes of MPEG-2 video at top quality. So if you're fitting an entire game with commercials, you're putting roughly 210 minutes of video on a disk made for 90-120 minutes. In order to fit it all on the disk, it needs to use compression. That's what makes the picture look crappy. If it were a sitcom, where the screen was static most of the time, you might be able to get away with it. Because it's football and there's a lot of motion, the compression becomes very noticable. I won't go into the technical details, and I'm oversimplifying (ie: MPEG-2 is always compressed), but you probably don't care about that :P

When I create my football DVDs, I actually originally record it onto two disk, two hours a pop. I then bring them to the PC, edit out the commericals and then re-encode with a high quality encoder to keep the picture quality up. That's pretty much your only option is to jump thorugh all of those hoops for now.

Soon dual-layer DVD-R media will become affordable (it's over $20/disk last I checked), and you'll be able to fit more on a disk (roughly 8.3G if I recall). Of course, you'll need a dual-layer burner. Until then...

CW

That said, a DVD-R can only hold 4.3G of data (roughly, after formatting).  That's only about 90-120 minutes of MPEG-2 video at top quality.  So if you're fitting an entire game with commercials, you're putting roughly 210 minutes of video on a disk made for 90-120 minutes.  In order to fit it all on the disk, it needs to use compression.  That's what makes the picture look crappy.  If it were a sitcom, where the screen was static most of the time, you might be able to get away with it.  Because it's football and there's a lot of motion, the compression becomes very noticable.  I won't go into the technical details, and I'm oversimplifying (ie: MPEG-2 is always compressed), but you probably don't care about that :P

When I create my football DVDs, I actually originally record it onto two disk, two hours a pop.  I then bring them to the PC, edit out the commericals and then re-encode with a high quality encoder to keep the picture quality up.  That's pretty much your only option is to jump thorugh all of those hoops for now.

Soon dual-layer DVD-R media will become affordable (it's over $20/disk last I checked), and you'll be able to fit more on a disk (roughly 8.3G if I recall).  Of course, you'll need a dual-layer burner.  Until then...

CW

142163[/snapback]

Drop over at Newegg.com and check out the 16x DVD (dual layer) burners. They're dirt cheap. Decent ones starting in the $60.00 plus range IRCC.

I will get the info asked above and answer back.....

But in the meantime.....somebody told me that using "monster cables" would help out quite a bit with this stuff.....

Is that true?

142292[/snapback]

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copper is copper. Don't buy into the hype.

CW

Drop over at Newegg.com and check out the 16x DVD (dual layer) burners. They're dirt cheap. Decent ones starting in the $60.00 plus range IRCC.

142283[/snapback]

I never said the burners were expensive, I said the media was expensive. It's not quite as bad as it was 6 months ago, but it's still $9/disk.

http://www.meritline.com/dl-dvd-r-dual-lay...tek-ridata.html

CW

I am not an expert and Fezmid's answer is probably all you need.'

But, for future audio-video questions, visit http://www.avsforum.com . It is a fantastic site for all sorts of discussions regarding anything AV. You get a good discussion leading to an answer in less than a day. The best part is, there is no commercial connection of this site so all the people are there for the love of the science.

wait a second... i thought Dual Layer drives JUST came out??? Am I off here?

I mean, this says dual layer, but is only $57???

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-182-025&depa=0

With a dual layer drive, I can store around 9 gigs, correct? Meaning I wouldnt have to use DVD Shrink anymore?

Fez?

wait a second... i thought Dual Layer drives JUST came out??? Am I off here?

I mean, this says dual layer, but is only $57???

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-182-025&depa=0

With a dual layer drive, I can store around 9 gigs, correct? Meaning I wouldnt have to use DVD Shrink anymore?

Fez?

142509[/snapback]

Dual layer burners have been out for at least 6 months.

Read my previous message though -- the blanks cost $9. I can buy a movie for $8. Do the math. :w00t:

Oh, and you'll probably still need to do some comrpession on them, since the dual layers are apparantly a bit smaller (after formating) than a pressed DVD.

CW

That said, a DVD-R can only hold 4.3G of data (roughly, after formatting).  That's only about 90-120 minutes of MPEG-2 video at top quality.  So if you're fitting an entire game with commercials, you're putting roughly 210 minutes of video on a disk made for 90-120 minutes.  In order to fit it all on the disk, it needs to use compression.  That's what makes the picture look crappy.  If it were a sitcom, where the screen was static most of the time, you might be able to get away with it.  Because it's football and there's a lot of motion, the compression becomes very noticable.  I won't go into the technical details, and I'm oversimplifying (ie: MPEG-2 is always compressed), but you probably don't care about that :ph34r:

When I create my football DVDs, I actually originally record it onto two disk, two hours a pop.  I then bring them to the PC, edit out the commericals and then re-encode with a high quality encoder to keep the picture quality up.  That's pretty much your only option is to jump thorugh all of those hoops for now.

Soon dual-layer DVD-R media will become affordable (it's over $20/disk last I checked), and you'll be able to fit more on a disk (roughly 8.3G if I recall).  Of course, you'll need a dual-layer burner.  Until then...

CW

142163[/snapback]

do you have expressed written permission from the NFL to share those Bills games? :o:w00t:

bear in mind the difference between a dvd "burner" under $100 single or dual they are used for burning data, meaning to use it your movie or TV program must be turned into bits and bytes, a digital file. This requires software and a 2 step process.

a dvd "recorder" more on the $350 - $1000 range depending on sophistication, works exactly like a VHS recorder. It records direct in real time, a one step process. The difference in quality is related, as Fez mentioned to the amount you try to fit on one disc. The XP setting on my Panasonic records only 1 hour but it is great quality. As you move down to the 4th setting, getting 6hrs the image quality quickly deteriorates.

The prices on these real time recorders has dropped by about 40% from last year. Next year the lesser quality ones should be had for about 150 -199. Don't confuse a "burner" with a "recorder", BIG difference.

bear in mind the difference between a dvd "burner" under $100 single or dual they are used for burning data, meaning to use it your movie or TV program must be turned into bits and bytes, a digital file. This requires software and a 2 step process.

a dvd "recorder" more on the $350 - $1000 range depending on sophistication, works exactly like a VHS recorder. It records direct in real time, a one step process.  The difference in quality is related, as Fez mentioned to the amount you try to fit on one disc.  The XP setting on my Panasonic records only 1 hour but it is great quality. As you move down to the 4th setting, getting 6hrs the image quality quickly deteriorates.

The prices on these real time recorders has dropped by about 40% from last year.  Next year the lesser quality ones should be had for about 150 -199.  Don't confuse a "burner" with a "recorder", BIG difference.

142549[/snapback]

Actually, the only difference is that the recorders are stand alone, like a VCR. You pop in a blank DVD and voila! A copy.

With a burner, I needed to shrink the DVD manually (with DVD shrink), take out menus, credits, etc, to keep as much quality as possible, and then burn with Nero.

The quality is only affected by the compression, not whether or not you use a "burner" or a "recorder".

I burned the movie Lord of the Rings. It is a long flick, so i had to either compress is, or remove many things (i ended up having to do both). A DVD called Bottle Rocket is a 89 minute movie, and didnt need either, and was a perfect copy, on a single layer DVD.